Deformation Behavior Estimation of Aluminum Foam by X-ray CT Image-based Finite Element Analysis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Aluminum foam is a lightweight material owing to the existence of a large number of internal pores. The compressive properties and deformation behavior of aluminum foam are considered to be directly affected by the shape and distribution of these pores. In this study, we performed image-based finite element (FE) analyses of aluminum foam using X-ray computed tomography (CT) images and investigated the possibility of predicting its deformation behavior by comparing the results of FE analyses with those of actual compressive tests. We found that it was possible to create an analytic model reflecting the three-dimensional (3D) pore structure using image-based modeling based on X-ray CT images. The stress distribution obtained from image-based FE analysis correctly indicates the layer where deformation first occurs as observed in actual compressive tests. Also, by calculating the mean stress of each plane perpendicular to the direction of compression based on the stress distribution obtained from image-based FE analysis, it was found that deformation begins in the layer containing the plane with maximum stress. It was thus possible to estimate the layer where deformation begins during the compression of aluminum foam.
- M.F. Ashby: Metall. Trans. A, 1983, vol. 14, pp. 1755–69.
- A.G. Evans, J.W. Hutchinson, and M.F. Ashby: Prog. Mater. Sci., 1998, vol. 43, pp. 171–221. CrossRef
- L.J. Gibson: Ann. Rev. Mater. Sci., 2000, vol. 30, pp. 191–227. CrossRef
- A.G. Evans, J.W. Hutchinson, N.A. Fleck, M.F. Ashby, and H.N.G. Wadley: Prog. Mater. Sci., 2001, vol. 46, pp. 309–27. CrossRef
- J. Banhart: Prog. Mater. Sci., 2001, vol. 46, pp. 559–632. CrossRef
- H. Nakajima: Prog. Mater Sci., 2007, vol. 52, pp. 1091–1173. CrossRef
- A.F. Bastawros and A.G. Evans: Adv. Eng. Mater., 2000, vol. 2, pp. 210–14. CrossRef
- A.F. Bastawros, H. Bart-Smith, and A.G. Evans: J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 2000, vol. 48, pp. 301–22.
- A.E. Markaki and T.W. Clyne: Acta Mater., 2001, vol. 49, pp. 1677–86. CrossRef
- D.J. Werther, A.J. Howard, J.P. Ingraham, and K.A. Issen: Scripta Mater., 2006, vol. 54, pp. 783–87. CrossRef
- M. Hakamada, T. Kuromura, Y. Chino, Y. Yamada, Y.Q. Chen, H. Kusuda, and M. Mabuchi: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2007, vol. 459, pp. 286–93. CrossRef
- N. Takano, M. Zako, F. Kubo and K. Kimura: Int. J. Solids Struct., 2003, vol. 40, pp. 1225–42. CrossRef
- S.J. Hollister and N. Kikuchi: Biotechnol. Bioeng., 1994, vol. 43, pp. 586–96. CrossRef
- Y. Shiino, O. Kuwazuru, and N. Yoshikawa: J. Theor. Biol., 2009, vol. 259, pp. 132–41. CrossRef
- Y. Hangai, O. Kuwazuru, T. Yano, T. Utsunomiya, Y. Murata, S. Kitahara, S. Bidhar, and N. Yoshikawa: Mater. Trans., 2010, vol. 51, pp. 1574–80. CrossRef
- N. Vanderesse, E. Maire, A. Chabod, and J.Y. Buffiere: Int. J. Fatigue, 2011, vol. 33, pp. 1514–25. CrossRef
- E. Maire, A. Fazekas, L. Salvo, R. Dendievel, S. Youssef, P. Cloetens and J.M. Letang: Compos. Sci. Technol., 2003, vol. 63, pp. 2431–43. CrossRef
- T. Kujime, M. Tane, S.K. Hyun, and H. Nakajima: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2007, vol. 460, pp. 220–26. CrossRef
- I. Jeon, T. Asahina, K.-J. Kang, S. Im, and T.J. Lu: Mech. Mater., 2010, vol. 42, pp. 227–36. CrossRef
- N. Michailidis, F. Stergioudi, H. Omar, and D. Tsipas: Comput. Mater. Sci., 2010, vol. 48, pp. 282–86. CrossRef
- H. Toda, M. Takata, T. Ohgaki, M. Kobayashi, T. Kobayashi, K. Uesugi, K. Makii, and Y. Aruga: Adv. Eng. Mater., 2006, vol. 8, pp. 459–67. CrossRef
- T. Miyoshi, M. Itoh, S. Akiyama, and A. Kitahara: Adv. Eng. Mater., 2000, vol. 2, pp. 179–83. CrossRef
- JIS-H-7902: Method for Compressive Test of Porous Metals, Japanese Standards Association, 2008.
- Y. Hangai, S. Maruhashi, S. Kitahara, O. Kuwazuru, and N. Yoshikawa: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 2009, vol. 40A, pp. 2789–93. CrossRef
- The-Japan-Institute-of-Light-Metals: Structures and Properties of Aluminum, The Japan Institute of Light Metals, 1991, pp. 413–18.
- A. Pollien, Y. Conde, L. Pambaguian, and A. Mortensen: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2005, vol. 404, pp. 9–18. CrossRef
- A.H. Brothers and D.C. Dunand: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2008, vol. 489, pp. 439–43. CrossRef
- K. Shinagawa: in Porous Metals and Metallic Foams, L.P. Lefebvre, J. Banhart, and D. Dunand, eds., Destech Pubns Inc, 2008, pp. 95–98.
- Y. Hangai, Y. Oba, S. Koyama, and T. Utsunomiya: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 2011, vol. 42A, pp. 3585–89. CrossRef
- Y. Hangai, K. Takahashi, T. Utsunomiya, S. Kitahara, O. Kuwazuru, and N. Yoshikawa: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2012, vol. 534, pp. 716–19. CrossRef
- Deformation Behavior Estimation of Aluminum Foam by X-ray CT Image-based Finite Element Analysis
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 44, Issue 4 , pp 1880-1886
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical System Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Gunma University, Kiryuu, 376-8515, Japan
- 2. Research Organization for Advanced Engineering, Shibaura Institute of Technology, Saitama, 337-8570, Japan
- 3. Department of Nuclear Power and Energy Safety Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, Fukui, 910-8507, Japan
- 4. Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, 153-8505, Japan