Bilinear Coffin–Manson Relationship in Thin Sheets of Interstitial-Free Steel
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bilinear Coffin–Manson (C-M) as well as cyclic stress–strain (CSS) relationship is observed during low-cycle fatigue study (strain amplitude ∆ε t/2 = 0.0015 to 0.004) of an interstitial-free (IF) steel sheet unlike some of the earlier reports. In this work, an attempt has been made to correlate the observed bilinearity with the evolution of dislocation substructure and the nature of cyclic strain hardening in the selected steel. To achieve this goal, some of the low-cycle fatigue (LCF) tests were interrupted after the elapse of 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 pct of fatigue life, and the microstructures at various stages were examined using TEM. Cyclic hardening at low-strain amplitudes (∆ε t/2 ≤ 0.0020) is predominantly due to dislocation–dislocation and dislocation–precipitation interaction. On the other hand, at high-strain amplitudes (∆ε t/2 > 0.0020), subgrains start forming much earlier in fatigue life, and there is an additional contribution of subgrains toward the total hardening. The above phenomenon leads to a difference in the values of cyclic strain-hardening exponents, e.g., 0.24 at low (∆ε t/2 ≤ 0.0020) and 0.45 at high ∆ε t/2, respectively. The above difference is reflected in the bilinear C-M plot around the transition ∆ε t/2 of 0.0020 as also observed in the CSS plot.
- American Iron and Steel Institute: Automotive Design Manual, Revision 6.1, American Iron and Steel Institute & Auto/Steel Partnership, Pittsburgh, PA, 2002.
- Milan, M.T., Spinelli, D., Filho Bose, W.W. (2001) Int. J. Fatigue 23: pp. 129-33 CrossRef
- Biswas, K., Eising, L., Gorl, E., Schulte, M. (1993) Steel Res. 64: pp. 407-13
- Yan, B. (1996) Proc. 37th MWSP Conf, vol. XXXIII. The Iron and Steel Society Inc., Warrendale, PA
- Gustavsson, A. (1996) Scand. J. Metall. 25: pp. 244-50
- B. Yan: IF Steels 2000 Proceedings, Pittsburgh, Iron & Steel Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 2000, pp. 313–25.
- Majumdar, S., Bhattacharjee, D., Ray, K.K. (2008) Metall. Mater. Trans. A 39A: pp. 1676-90 CrossRef
- Majumdar, S., Bhattacharjee, D., Ray, K.K. (2011) Scripta Metall. 64: pp. 288-91 CrossRef
- Majumdar, S., Bhattacharjee, D., Ray, K.K. (2010) Mater. Sci. Technol. 26: pp. 493-500 CrossRef
- Shih, C., Ho, N., Huang, H. (2011) Mater. Sci. Eng. A 528: pp. 6381-6 CrossRef
- Shih, C., Ho, N., Huang, H. (2010) Metall. Mater. Trans. A 41A: pp. 1995-2001 CrossRef
- Judelewicz, M., Künzi, H.U., Merk, N., Ilschner, B. (1994) Mater. Sci. Eng. A 186: pp. 135-42 CrossRef
- G.E. Dieter: Mechanical Metallurgy, SI Metric Edition, McGraw Hill Publishing Co. Place, London, U.K., 1988, pp. 406–19.
- Dieter, G.E. (1988) Mechanical Metallurgy. SI Metric Edition, McGraw Hill Publishing Co. Place, London, U.K.
- Mediratta, SR, Ramaswamy, V, Rama Rao, P (1986) Scripta Metall. 20: pp. 555-58 CrossRef
- Sankaran, S, Subramanya Sarma, V, Padmanabhan, KA (2003) Mater. Sci. Eng. A 345: pp. 328-35 CrossRef
- Lerch, B.A., Gerold, V. (1985) Acta Metall. 33: pp. 1709-16 CrossRef
- Singh, V., Sundaraman, M., Chen, W., Wahi, R.P. (1991) Metall. Trans. A 22A: pp. 499-506
- Mediratta, SR, Ramaswamy, V, Rama Rao, P (1985) Int. J. Fatigue 7: pp. 107-15 CrossRef
- Ghosh, P., Ray, R.K., Bhattacharya, B., Bhargava, S. (2006) Scripta Metall. 55: pp. 271-74 CrossRef
- R.W. Hertzberg: Deformation and Fracture Mechanics of Engineering Materials, 4th ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, NY, 1995, pp. 557–66.
- Kuhlmann-Wilsdorf, D. (1977) Work Hardening in Tension and Fatigue. AIME, Warrendale, PA
- Hall, E.O. (1951) Proc. Phys. Soc. 64: pp. 747-53 CrossRef
- Petch, N.J. (1953) J. Iron Steel Inst. 173: pp. 25-27
- Ray, R.K., Hutchinson, B., Ghosh, C. (2010) Int. Mater. Rev. 56: pp. 73-97 CrossRef
- Pradhan, RR (1981) Internal Report. Bethlehem Steel, Bethlehem, PA
- Bilinear Coffin–Manson Relationship in Thin Sheets of Interstitial-Free Steel
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 44, Issue 4 , pp 1714-1721
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. R&D Division, Tata Steel Ltd, Jamshedpur, 831007, India
- 2. RD&T Division, Tata Steel Group, Postbus 10000, Ijmuiden, 1970 CA, The Netherlands
- 3. Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 721302, India