Local Atomic Structure of a High-Entropy Alloy: An X-Ray and Neutron Scattering Study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
By using high-energy synchrotron X-ray and neutron scattering, the local structure of a ternary high-entropy alloy Zr1/3Nb1/3Hf1/3 is characterized by means of pair distribution function (PDF) analysis. Results show that this alloy is a body center cubic (b.c.c.) phase in both bulk sample and in a thin film ~1.5 µm thick. The PDFs obtained from X-ray diffraction and neutron diffraction agree well with each other. The measured PDFs differ from the calculated PDF, particularly in the peak shape of the first two peaks, indicating local lattice distortion due to different atomic sizes in the solid solution.
- J.W. Yeh, S.-K. Chen, S.-J. Lin, J.-Y. Gan, T.-S. Chin, T.-T. Shun, C.-H. Tsau, and S.-Y. Chang: Adv. Eng. Mater., 2004, vol. 6, pp. 299–303. CrossRef
- J.-W. Yeh, Y.-L. Chen, S.-J. Lin, and S.K. Chen: Mater. Sci. Forum, 2007, vol. 560, pp. 1–9. CrossRef
- Y.J. Zhou, Y. Zhang, Y.L. Wang, and G.L. Chen: Appl. Phys. Lett., 2007, vol. 90, pp. 181904-1–181904-3.
- Y. Zhang, Y.J. Zhou, J.P. Lin, G.L. Chen, and P.K. Liaw: Adv. Eng. Mater., 2008, vol. 10, pp. 534–38. CrossRef
- F.J. Wang, Y. Zhang, and G.L. Chen: J. Alloy. Compd., 2009, vol. 478, pp. 321–24. CrossRef
- T. Egami and S.J.L. Billinge: Underneath the Bragg Peaks: Structural Analysis of Complex Materials, Pergamon, New York, 2003, p. 8.
- P.F. Peterson, M. Gutmann, T. Proffen, and S.J.L. Billinge: J. Appl. Crystallogr., 2000, vol. 33, p. 1192. CrossRef
- A.C. Larson and R.B. Von Dreele: Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LAUR 86-748, Los Alamos, 2000.
- C.L. Farrow, P. Juhas, J.W. Liu, D. Bryndin, E.S. Bozin, J. Bloch, T. Proffen, and S.J.L. Billinge: J. Phys. Condens. Matter, 2007, vol. 19, pp. 335219-1–335219-7. CrossRef
- Local Atomic Structure of a High-Entropy Alloy: An X-Ray and Neutron Scattering Study
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 44, Issue 5 , pp 1994-1997
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 37996, USA
- 2. Joint Institute for Neutron Sciences, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 37996, USA
- 3. Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 37996, USA
- 4. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 37831, USA