Assessment of Plastic Deformation Induced by Indentation on a Large Grain on Inconel 600 Using Synchrotron Polychromatic X-ray Microdiffraction
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A synchrotron-based three-dimensional (3-D) Laue technique called Differential Aperture X-ray microscopy (DAXM) was used to investigate plastic deformation of Inconel 600 induced by indentation. The DAXM technique is capable of probing up to 60 to 100 μm into the Ni alloy, with micron resolution. A conical indenter was used to generate an indent on a large surface grain on Inconel 600. The DAXM Laue images from the uppermost grain exhibited pronounced streaking and splitting of Laue spots, which increased as the grain boundary was approached. Splitting of the Laue patterns correlates with subgrain or dislocation cell formation. A significant amount of dislocation cell formation was found within the 1-μm voxels probed by DAXM. A change in total angle of 8.79 deg was determined for the uppermost grain from the diffraction data from depths 4 to 28 μm, with an average misorientation angle of 2.15 deg between the dislocation cells. The next grain having a different crystallographic orientation continued to rotate in the same direction as the uppermost grain due to the large plastic deformation.
- I.M. Robertson, C.A. Schuh, J.S. Vetrano, N.D. Browning, D.P. Field, D.J. Jensen, M.K. Miller, I. Baker, D.C. Dunand, R. Dunin-Borkowski, B. Kabius, T. Kelly, S. Lozano-Perez, A. Misra, G.S. Rohrer, A.D. Rollet, M.L. Taheri, G.B. Thompson, M. Uchic, X.-L. Wang, and G. Was: J. Mater. Res., 2011, vol. 26, pp. 1341–83. CrossRef
- J.W. Kysar, Y.X. Gan, T.L. Morse, X. Chen, and M.E. Jones: J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 2007, vol. 55, pp. 1554–73. CrossRef
- N.A. Stelmashenko and L.M. Brown: Philos. Mag. A, 1996, vol. 74, pp. 1195–1206. CrossRef
- S.J. Lloyd, A. Castellero, F. Giuliani, Y. Long, K.K. McLaughlin, J.M. Molina-Aldareguia, N.A. Stelmashenko, L.J. Vandeperre, and W.J. Clegg: Proc. R. Soc. A, 2005, vol. 461, pp. 2521–43. CrossRef
- K.K. McLaughlin and W.J. Clegg: J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., 2006, vol. 26, pp. 359–62. CrossRef
- K.K. McLaughlin and W.J. Clegg: J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 2008, vol. 41, Art. No. 074007.
- G.E. Ice and B.C. Larson: Adv. Eng. Mater., 2000, vol. 2, pp. 643–46. CrossRef
- B.C. Larson, W. Yang, G.E. Ice, J.D. Budai, and J.Z. Tischler: Nature, 2002, vol. 415, pp. 887–90. CrossRef
- J.-S. Chung and G.E. Ice: J. Appl. Phys., 1999, vol. 86, pp. 5249–55. CrossRef
- R.I. Barabash, G.E. Ice, B.C. Larson, and W. Yang: Semiconductors to Protein, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, NY, 2002, pp. 49–66.
- R.I. Barabash, G.E. Ice, and F.J. Walker: J. Appl. Phys., 2003, vol. 93, pp. 1457–64. CrossRef
- R.I. Barabash, G.E. Ice, and J.W.L. Pang: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2005, vols. 400–401, pp. 125–31.
- W. Yang and B.C. Larson: J. Mater. Res., 2004, vol. 19, pp. 66–72. CrossRef
- G. Feng, A.S. Budiman, W.D. Nix, N. Tamura, and J.R. Patel: J. Appl. Phys., 2008, vol. 104, Art. No. 043501.
- R.Z. Valiev, R.K. Islamgaliev, and I.V. Alexandrov: Prog. Mater. Sci., 2000, vol. 45, pp. 103–89. CrossRef
- B. Jakobsen, H.F. Poulsen, U. Lienert, J. Almer, S.D. Shastri, H.O. Sorensen, C. Gundlach, and W. Pantleon: Science, 2006, vol. 312, pp. 889–92. CrossRef
- L.E. Levine, B.C. Larson, W. Yang, M.E. Kassner, J.Z. Tischler, M.A. Delos-Reyes, R.J. Fields, and W. Liu: Nat. Mater., 2006, vol. 5, pp. 619–22 (Letters). CrossRef
- H. Mughrabi and T. Ungar: Nat. Mater., 2006, vol. 5, pp. 601–02 (Letters). CrossRef
- Assessment of Plastic Deformation Induced by Indentation on a Large Grain on Inconel 600 Using Synchrotron Polychromatic X-ray Microdiffraction
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 44, Issue 1 , pp 17-21
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Chemistry Department, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, N6A 5B7, Canada
- 2. Materials Science and Technology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 37831, USA
- 3. Surface Science Western, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, N6A 5B7, Canada
- 4. Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, 60439, USA