A Correlation Between Failure Angle and Constituent for Al-AlN Composites Under Uniaxial Tensile Conditions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Al-AlN composites with different AlN reinforcement fractions and porosity were fabricated through nitridation of laser-sintered AA 6061 powder followed by infiltration with AA 6061. Their failure behaviors were investigated under uniaxial tensile loading conditions. Tensile testing and fractography indicate that the fracture mode changes gradually from ductile to brittle fracture with increasing AlN reinforcement or porosity. An analysis of the fractured Al-AlN tensile samples reveals that the failure surface angle, θ, is dictated by the volume fraction of the matrix, f m , in a form of tan θ = f m 5.5 .
- W. Soboyejo: Mechanical Properties of Engineered Materials, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, 2003.
- G.S. Holister: Developments in Composite Materials-2, Applied Science Publishers, London, 1981.
- S. Suresh and A. Mortensen: Int. Mater. Rev., 1997, vol. 42, pp. 85–116. CrossRef
- J. Banhart: Progr. Mater. Sci., 2001, vol. 46, pp. 559–632. CrossRef
- N. Tuncer, G. Arslan, E. Maire, and L. Salvo: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2011, vol. 528, pp. 7368–74. CrossRef
- I.C. Konstantinidis and S.A. Tsipas: Mater. Des., 2010, vol. 31, pp. 4490–95. CrossRef
- L.J. Gibson and M.A. Ashby: Cellular Solids: Structure and Properties, Pergamon Press, Oxford, United Kingdom, 1988.
- A.E. Simon and L.J. Gibson: Acta Mater., 1998, vol. 46, pp. 3109–23. CrossRef
- Z.F. Zhang, G. He, J. Eckert, and L. Schultz: Phys. Rev. Lett., 2003, vol. 91, p. 045505. CrossRef
- Z.F. Zhang and J. Eckert: Phys. Rev. Lett., 2005, vol. 94, p. 094301. CrossRef
- M.M. Trexler and N.N. Thadhani: Progr. Mater. Sci., 2010, vol. 55, pp. 759–839. CrossRef
- M.L. Lee, Y. Li, and C.A. Schuh: Acta Mater., 2004, vol. 52, pp. 4121–31. CrossRef
- F.F. Wu, Z.F. Zhang, S.X. Mao, A. Peker, and J. Eckert: Phys. Rev. B, 2007, vol. 75, p. 134201. CrossRef
- A. Inoue: Acta Mater., 2000, vol. 48, pp. 279–306. CrossRef
- T.B. Sercombe and G.B. Schaffer: Science, 2003, vol. 301, pp. 1225–27. CrossRef
- T.B. Sercombe and G.B. Schaffer: Acta Mater., 2004, vol. 52, pp. 3019–25. CrossRef
- P. Yu and G.B. Schaffer: Acta Mater., 2009, vol. 57, pp. 163–70. CrossRef
- P. Yu, M. Qian, L. Li, and G.B. Schaffer: Acta Mater., 2010, vol. 58, pp. 3790–97. CrossRef
- ASTM 8M-04: “Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials,” Annual Book of ASTM Standards, ASTM, Philadelphia, PA, 2004.
- F.P. Beer, E.R. Johnston, and J.T. DeWolf: Mechanics of Materials, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2006.
- T.H. Courtney: Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 2000.
- N.E. Dowling: Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1999.
- A Correlation Between Failure Angle and Constituent for Al-AlN Composites Under Uniaxial Tensile Conditions
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 43, Issue 9 , pp 3293-3299
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The University of Queensland, School of Mechanical and Mining Engineering, ARC Centre of Excellence for Design in Light Metals, Brisbane, QLD, 4072, Australia
- 2. The University of Queensland, Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Information Technology, ARC Centre of Excellence for Design in Light Metals, Brisbane, QLD, 4072, Australia