Effect of Heat Input Conditions on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Friction-Stir-Welded Pure Copper
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Defect-free friction stir welds of 5-mm-thick pure copper plates were produced in relatively low heat input conditions. The characteristics of the microstructure and mechanical properties of the welded joints were investigated. The stir zone (SZ) exhibited equiaxed recrystallized grains, whose size decreased as the heat input was decreased. The percentage of high-angle grain boundaries (grain boundary misorientation angle >15 deg) in the SZ was quite high (90.2 to 94.5 pct) and increased as the heat input was increased. When the heat input was decreased, the percentage of the twin boundaries (TBs) dropped, and the number of the twin lamellas was reduced. Under a very low heat input condition, the typical characteristics of thermomechanically affected zone (TMAZ) were discernible; however, the TMAZ was characterized by a recrystallized grain structure at higher heat input conditions. The grains in the heat-affected zone (HAZ) were slightly coarsened compared to those in the parent material (PM), but the grain size varied a little under different parameters. The hardness of the SZ increased as the heat input was increased, and the lowest hardness appeared at the HAZs where the welds failed. The ultimate tensile strength (UTS) was similar to that of the PM under various heat input conditions, but the yield strength (YS) and elongation were lower. The YS increased as the lowest hardness value increased, and the elongation decreased due to the enhanced strain localization.
- Chinese Welding Society: Welding Handbook, 2nd ed., China Machine Press, Beijing, 2001, vol. 2, pp. 608–43.
- Fabritsiev, S.A., Pokrovsky, A.S., Nakamichi, M., Kawamura, H. (1998) J. Nucl. Mater. 2030: pp. 258-63
- Uzunov, T.D., Stojanov, S.P., Lambov, S.I. (1999) Vacuum 52: pp. 365-68 CrossRef
- W.M. Thomas, E.D. Nicholas, J.C. Needham, M.G. Murch, P. Templesmith, and C.J. Dawes: G.B. Patent Application No. 9125978.8, Dec. 1991.
- Mishra, R.S., Ma, Z.Y. (2005) Mater. Sci. Eng. R 50: pp. 1-78 CrossRef
- Andersson, C.G., Andrews, R.E. (1999) Proc. 1st Int. Symp. on Friction Stir Welding. Thousand Oaks, CA
- C.G. Andersson, R.E. Andrews, B.G.I. Dance, M.J. Russell, E.J. Olden, and R.M. Sanderson: Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. on Friction Stir Welding, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2000.
- K. Okamoto, M. Doi, S. Hirano, K. Aota, H. Okamura, Y. Aono, and T.C. Ping: Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. on Friction Stir Welding, Kobe, Japan, 2001.
- Lee, W.B., Jung, S.B. (2004) Mater. Lett. 58: pp. 1041-46 CrossRef
- T. Hautala and T. Tiainen: Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Trends in Welding Research, Pine Mountain, GA, 2003, ASM INTERNATIONAL, Materials Park, OH, 2003, pp. 324–28.
- Xie, G.M., Ma, Z.Y., Geng, L. (2007) Scripta Mater. 57: pp. 73-76 CrossRef
- Liu, H.J., Shen, J.J., Huang, Y.X., Kuang, L.Y., Liu, C., Li, C. (2009) Sci. Technol. Weld. Join. 14: pp. 577-83 CrossRef
- Sakthivel, T., Mukhopadhyay, J. (2007) J. Mater. Sci. 42: pp. 8126-29 CrossRef
- McNelley, T.R., Swaminathan, S., Su, J.Q. (2008) Scripta Mater. 58: pp. 349-54 CrossRef
- Reynolds, A.P. (2007) Mater. Sci. Forum 539–543: pp. 207-14 CrossRef
- Reynolds, A.P., Tang, W., Khandkar, Z., Khan, J.A., Lindner, K. (2005) Sci. Technol. Weld. Join. 10: pp. 190-99 CrossRef
- Sato, Y.S., Urata, M., Kokawa, H. (2002) Metall. Mater. Trans. A 33A: pp. 625-35 CrossRef
- Ma, Z.Y., Mishra, R.S., Mahoney, M.W., Grimes, R. (2005) Metall. Mater. Trans. A 36A: pp. 1447-58 CrossRef
- Liu, L., Nakayama, H., Fukumoto, S., Yamamoto, A., Tsubakino, H. (2004) Mater. Trans. JIM 8: pp. 2665-68 CrossRef
- Mishra, R.S., Mahoney, M.W. (2001) Mater. Sci. Forum 357–359: pp. 507-12 CrossRef
- Norman, A.F., Brough, I., Prangnell, P.B. (2000) Mater. Sci. Forum 331–337: pp. 1713-18 CrossRef
- Liu, F.C., Ma, Z.Y., Chen, L.Q. (2009) Scripta Mater. 60: pp. 968-71 CrossRef
- Vinogradov, A., Suzuki, T., Hashimoto, S., Kitagawa, K., Kuznetsov, A., Dobatkin, S. (2006) Mater. Sci. Forum 503–504: pp. 971-76 CrossRef
- Sato, Y.S., Kokawa, H., Enomoto, M., Jogan, S. (1999) Metall. Mater. Trans. A 30A: pp. 2429-37 CrossRef
- Humphreys, F.J., Hatherly, M. (2004) Recrystallization and Related Annealing Phenomena. Elsevier Ltd, New York, NY
- Murr, L.E. (1975) Interfacial Phenomena in Metals and Alloys. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA
- Sato, Y.S., Kokawa, H. (2001) Metall. Mater. Trans. A 32A: pp. 3023-31 CrossRef
- Effect of Heat Input Conditions on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Friction-Stir-Welded Pure Copper
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 41, Issue 8 , pp 2010-2021
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Shenyang National Laboratory for Materials Science, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shenyang, 110016, P.R. China
- 2. State Key Laboratory of Rolling and Automation, Northeastern University, Shengyang, 110004, P.R. China
- 3. School of Materials Science and Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, 150001, P.R. China