Solidification of Al-Sn-Cu Based Immiscible Alloys under Intense Shearing
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The growing importance of Al-Sn based alloys as materials for engineering applications necessitates the development of uniform microstructures with improved performance. Guided by the recently thermodynamically assessed Al-Sn-Cu system, two model immiscible alloys, Al-45Sn-10Cu and Al-20Sn-10Cu, were selected to investigate the effects of intensive melt shearing provided by the novel melt conditioning by advanced shear technology (MCAST) unit on the uniform dispersion of the soft Sn phase in a hard Al matrix. Our experimental results have confirmed that intensive melt shearing is an effective way to achieve fine and uniform dispersion of the soft phase without macro-demixing, and that such dispersed microstructure can be further refined in alloys with precipitation of the primary Al phase prior to the demixing reaction. In addition, it was found that melt shearing at 200 rpm and 60 seconds will be adequate to produce fine and uniform dispersion of the Sn phase, and that higher shearing speed and prolonged shearing time can only achieve minor further refinement.
- L. Ratke and S. Diefenbach: Mater. Sci. Eng. R, 1995, vol. 15R, pp. 263–347. CrossRef
- Immiscible Liquid Metals and Organic (Proc. Immiscible Alloys, Physikzentrum, Bad Honnef, 1992), L. Ratke, ed., DGM Informationsgesellschaft mbH, Oberursel, Germany, 1993, pp. 199–258 and 261–310.
- Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys, J.R. Davish, ed., ASM INTERNATIONAL, Materials Park, OH, 1993, 93 pp.
- C.J. Kong, P.D. Brown, S.J. Harris, and D.G. McCartney: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2005, vol. 403A, pp. 205–14.
- L. Ratke, G. Korekt, and S. Drees: ESA Symposium Processing on ‘Space Station Utilisation,’ ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany, Sept. 30–Oct. 2, 1996, pp. 247–51.
- X. Fang and Z. Fan: Scripta Mater., 2006, vol. 54, pp. 789–93. CrossRef
- H.R. Kotadia, J.B. Patel, Z. Fan, E. Doernberg, and R. Schmid-Fetzer: Solid State Phenomena, 2008, vols. 141–143, pp. 529–34. CrossRef
- H.R. Kotadia, J.B. Patel, Z. Fan, E. Doernberg, and R. Schmid-Fetzer: Aluminium Alloys: Fabrication, Characterization and Applications II 2009, San Francisco, CA, 2009, W. Yin, S.K. Das, and Z. Long, eds., TMS, Warrendale, PA, 2009, pp. 81–86.
- L. Yuan, L. Yan-Xiang, G. Jing-Jie, J. Jun, S. Yan-Qing, and D. Hong-Sheng: Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China, 2002, vol. 12, pp. 357–65.
- J. Shima, H. Leeb, H.P. Haa, Y.W. Choa, and E. Yoonc: J. Alloys Compd., 2001, vol. 327, pp. 270–74. CrossRef
- J.Z. Zhao and L. Ratke: Scripta Mater., 2004, vol. 50, pp. 543–46. CrossRef
- N. Wang and B. Wei: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2003, vol. 345A, pp. 145–54.
- H.X. Peng and Z. Fan: J. Mater. Sci. Lett., 2001, vol. 20, pp. 1769–71. CrossRef
- Z. Fan, M.J. Bevis, and S. Ji: PCT Patent WO 01/21343 A1, 1999.
- D. Mirkovic, J. Groebner, and R. Schmid-Fetzer: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2008, vol. 487A, pp. 456–67.
- D. Mirkovic, J. Groebner, and R. Schmid-Fetzer: Acta Mater., 2008, vol. 56, pp. 5214–22. CrossRef
- H.L. Lukas, S.G. Freis, and B. Sundman: Computational Thermodynamics—The Calphad Method, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 2007.
- PANDAT TM Software for Multiplecomponent Phase Diagram Calculation, Computherm LLC, Madison, WI.
- H. Tang, L.C. Wrobel, and Z. Fan: Comp. Mater. Sci., 2004, vol. 29, pp. 103–18. CrossRef
- H. Tang, L.C. Wrobel, and Z. Fan: Mater. Design, 2006, vol. 27, pp. 1065–75. CrossRef
- H. Tang and L.C. Wrobel: Int. J. Eng. Sci., 2005, vol. 43, pp. 1234–56. CrossRef
- H. Tang, L.C. Wrobel, and Z. Fan: Appl. Phys. A, 2005, vol. 81A, pp. 549–59. CrossRef
- Z. Fan and G. Liu: Acta Mater., 2005, vol. 53, pp. 4345–57. CrossRef
- Z. Fan: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2005, vols. 413A–414A, pp. 72–78.
- P.A. Karnezis, G. Durrant, and B. Cantor: Mater. Characterization, 1998, vol. 40, pp. 97–109. CrossRef
- A. Munitz and R. Abbaschian: Mater. Trans. A, 1996, vol. 27A, pp. 4049–59. CrossRef
- M.B. Robinson, D. Li, T.J. Rathz, and G. Williams: J. Mater. Sci., 1999, vol. 34, pp. 3747–53. CrossRef
- S. Curiotto, N.H. Pryds, E. Johnson, and L. Battezzati: Mater. Trans. A, 2006, vol. 37A, pp. 2361–68. CrossRef
- Z. Fan: Int. Mater. Rev., 2002, vol. 47, pp. 49–85. CrossRef
- Z. Fan, S. Ji, and J. Zhang: Mater. Sci. Technol., 2001, vol. 17, pp. 837–42. CrossRef
- V.G. Levich: Physicochemical Hydrodynamics, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1962.
- N.O. Young, J.S. Goldstein, and M.J. Block: J. Fluid Mech., 1959, vol. 6, pp. 350–56. CrossRef
- A. Rogers: Statistical Analysis of Spatial Distribution—The Quadrant Method, 3rd ed., Pion, London, 1974.
- Solidification of Al-Sn-Cu Based Immiscible Alloys under Intense Shearing
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 40, Issue 9 , pp 2202-2211
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. BCAST (Brunel Centre for Advanced Solidification Technology), Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, United Kingdom
- 2. Clausthal University of Technology, Institute of Metallurgy, D-38678, Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany