Wear behavior, microstructure, and dimensional stability of as-cast zinc-aluminum/SIC (metal matrix composites) alloys
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The wear behaviors of five different zinc-aluminum (ZA)-based alloys containing silicon, copper, and 8 and 16 pct on volume of reinforcing silicon carbide (SiC) particles were analyzed. Hardness, dimensional stability, and wear tests were performed on these five alloy samples. Microstructural investigation and semiquantitative chemical analysis of the different alloying characteristics of the cast samples, the wear surface, and the wear debris were obtained by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy-dispersive X-ray analysis (EDXA), and X-ray diffraction (XRD). The addition of Si, Cu, and SiC has a significant effect on the solidification process and final morphology of the alloys. The five cast alloys tested showed dimensional stability for a period of 1000 hours at 165°C±2.5°C. The wear tests were performed using a pin-on-disc apparatus under dry and lubricated conditions. Loads of 29.43 N (3 kg), 49.05 N (5 kg), and 78.48 N (8 kg) and a velocity of 250 rpm (2 m/s) were used. The results indicate that the wear rate of ZA alloys is strongly dependent on test load in a non-linear relationship and that the addition of SiC particles improved the wear properties of the matrix alloys. Under dry conditions, there was considerable loss of material, particularly in the nonreinforced alloys. In addition, the nonreinforced alloys presented substantial local plastic deformation and transfer of elements between the disc, the sample, and the debris. The amount of element transfer can be correlated with the elements presented. The proposed wear mechanisms are discussed.
- E. Gervais, H. Levert, and M. Bess: AFS Trans., 1980, vol. 88, pp. 183–94.
- M. Sahoo, L.V. Whiting, and W.G. Whited: AFS Trans., 1985, vol. 93, pp. 475–80.
- D. Delneuville: Wear, 1985, vol. 105, pp. 283–92. CrossRef
- R.J. Barnhurst and E. Gervais: AFS Trans., 1985, vol. 93, pp. 591–602.
- P. Sriram, S. Seshan, and H. Md. Roshan: AFS Trans., 1992, vol. 109, pp. 769–75.
- S. Murphy and T. Savaskan: Wear, 1984, vol. 98, pp. 151–61. CrossRef
- T. Savaskan and S. Murphy: Wear, 1987, vol. 116, pp. 211–24. CrossRef
- P.L. Pekwah, T. Savaskan, and E. Laufer: Wear, 1987, vol. 117, pp. 79–89. CrossRef
- V.G.S. Mani, P. Sriram, N. Ramand, and S. Seshan: AFS Trans., 1988, vol. 100, pp. 525–32.
- M.M. Yakoub: Ph.D. Thesis, Loughborough University of Technology, Loughborough, 1987.
- A.A. Das, B. Yakoub, B. Zantout, and A.J. Clegg: Cast Reinforced Metal Composites, Chicago, IL, Sept. 24–30, 1988, ASM INTERNATIONAL, Metals Park, OH, 1988, pp. 139–47.
- R. Guerriero, J.B. Parse, and I. Tangerini: Int. Symp. on Zinc-Aluminum (ZA) Casting Alloys, Toronto, ON, Canada, Aug. 17–20, 1986. The Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, 1986, Pergamon Press Inc., New York, NY, pp. 229–48.
- J.S.H. Lo, S. Dionne, L. Dignard-Bailey, M. Sahoo, and J.C. Farge: Mechanical Properties and Fracture Behaviour of Zinc-Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites. Processing of Ceramic and Metal Matrix Composites, Halifax, NS, Canada, Aug. 20–24, 1989, Pergamon Press, Inc., New York, NY, 1989, pp. 412–23.
- J.A. Corine, V. Guerriero, L. Meregalli, and I. Tangerini: Microstructures and Properties of Zinc-Alloy Matrix Composite Materials. Cast Reinforced Metal Composites, Chicago, IL, Sept. 24–30, 1988, ASM INTERNATIONAL, Metals Park, OH, 1988, pp. 155–65.
- N. Karni, G.B. Barkay, and M. Bamberger: J. Mater. Sci. Lett., 1994, vol. 13, pp. 541–44. CrossRef
- H.X. Zhu and S.K. Liu: J. Mater. Sci. Lett., 1995, vol. 14, pp. 649–50. CrossRef
- S.C. Tjong and F. Chen: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 1997, vol. 28A, p. 1951. CrossRef
- S.C. Sharma, B.M. Girish, K. Rathnakar, and B.M. Satish: Wear, 1997, vol. 213, pp. 33–40. CrossRef
- A.T. Alpas and J. Zhang: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 1994, vol. 25A, pp. 969–83.
- G. Straffelini: Wear, 2000, vol. 245, pp. 216–22. CrossRef
- E112-96e1: ASTM Standards, ASTM, Philadelphia, PA, 1988, vol. 03.01, pp. 297–322.
- E562-02: ASTM Standards, ASTM, Philadelphia, PA 1989, vol. 03.01, pp. 612–17.
- E.E. Underwood: in Quantitative Microscopy, ed R.T. de Hoff and F.N. Rhines, eds., McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY, 1968, pp. 76–101, and 149–99.
- R. Auras and C. Schvezov: in Solidification Structures and Properties of Cast Samples of Zinc-Aluminum Alloys and Composites, C.E. Eckert, ed., Light Metals 1999, TMS, Warrendale, PA, 1999, pp. 869–74.
- R. Auras: Master’s Thesis, Universidad Nacional de San Martin, San Martin, Argentina, 1999.
- Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, Thaddeus B. Massalski, ed., ASM, Metals Park, OH, c1986.
- S. Murphy: Z. Metallkd., 1980, vol. 71, pp. 96–102.
- A.T. Alpas and J. Zhang: Wear, 1992, vol. 155, pp. 83–104. CrossRef
- D.A. Rigney: Wear, 2000, vol. 245, pp. 1–9. CrossRef
- E. Rabinowicz: in Compatibility Criteria for Sliding Metals in Friction and Lubrication in Metal Processing. F.F. Ling, R.L. Whitely, P.M. Ku, and M.B. Peterson, eds., ASME, New York, NY, 1966, pp. 90–102.
- X.L. Li and K.N. Tandon: Wear, 1999, vols. 225–229, pp. 640–48. CrossRef
- R.A. Antoniu, L.J. Brown, and J.D. Cashion: Acta Metall. Mater., 1994, vol. 42 (10), pp. 3545–53. CrossRef
- B. Venkataraman and G. Sundararajan: Wear, 2000, vol. 245, pp. 22–38. CrossRef
- Wear behavior, microstructure, and dimensional stability of as-cast zinc-aluminum/SIC (metal matrix composites) alloys
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 35, Issue 5 , pp 1579-1590
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors