Effect of deformation schedule on the microstructure and mechanical properties of a thermomechanically processed C-Mn-Si transformation-induced plasticity steel
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thermomechanical processing simulations were performed using a hot-torsion machine, in order to develop a comprehensive understanding of the effect of severe deformation in the recrystallized and nonrecrystallized austenite regions on the microstructural evolution and mechanical properties of the 0.2 wt pct C-1.55 wt pct Mn-1.5 wt pct Si transformation-induced plasticity (TRIP) steel. The deformation schedule affected all constituents (polygonal ferrite, bainite in different morphologies, retained austenite, and martensite) of the multiphased TRIP steel microstructure. The complex relationships between the volume fraction of the retained austenite, the morphology and distribution of all phases present in the microstructure, and the mechanical properties of TRIP steel were revealed. The bainite morphology had a more pronounced effect on the mechanical behavior than the refinement of the microstructure. The improvement of the mechanical properties of TRIP steel was achieved by variation of the volume fraction of the retained austenite rather than the overall refinement of the microstructure.
- T. Gladman: The Physical Metallurgy of Microalloyed Steels, The Institute of Materials, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 1997, pp. 1–17.
- V.F. Zackay, E.R. Parker, D. Fahr, and R. Busch: Trans. ASM, 1967, vol. 60, pp. 252–59.
- W.W. Gerberich, P.L. Hemmings, M.D. Merz, and V.F. Zackay: Trans. Techn. Notes, 1968, vol. 61, pp. 843–47.
- S.K. Liu and J. Zhang: Metall. Trans. A, 1990, vol. 21A, pp. 1517–25.
- O. Matsumura, Y. Sakuma, Y. Ishii, and J. Zhao: Iron Steel Inst. Jpn. Int., 1992, vol. 32 (10), pp. 1110–16.
- Y. Sakuma, O. Matsumura, and H. Takechi: Metall. Trans. A, 1991, vol. 22A, pp. 489–98.
- L.C. Chang and H.K.D.H. Bhadeshia: Mater. Sci. Technol., 1995, vol. 11, pp. 874–81.
- D.Q. Bai, A. DiChiro, and S. Yue: Mater. Sci. Forum, 1998, vols. 284–286, pp. 253–60.
- F.B. Pickering: Physical Metallurgy and Design of Steels, Applied Science Publishers Ltd., Barking, Essex, United Kingdom, 1978, p. 64.
- O. Kawano, J. Wakita, K. Esaka, and H. Abe: Iron Steel Inst. Jpn. Int., 1996, vol. 82, pp. 232–44.
- K. Fujiwara and S. Okaguchi: Mater. Sci. Forum, 1998, vols. 284–286, pp. 271–78.
- P.D. Hodgson, D.C. Collison, and B. Perret: Proc. 7th Int. Symp. on Physical Simulation of Casting, Hot Rolling and Welding, 1997, Dynamic Systems Inc., Japan, vols. 21–23, pp. 219–29.
- A. Zarei-Hanzaki: Ph.D. Thesis, McGill University, Montreal, 1994, pp. 44–45.
- G.E. Lucas, J.W. Sheckherd, and G.R. Obette: Shear Punch and Microhardness Tests for Strength and Ductility Measurements, ASTM STP 888, ASTM, Philadelphia, PA, 1986, pp. 112–40.
- I.B. Timokhina, E.V. Pereloma, and P.D. Hodgson: Mater. Sci. Technol., 2001, vol. 17, pp. 135–40. CrossRef
- S.W. Thompson, D.J. Colvin, and G. Krauss: Metall. Trans. A, 1990, vol. 21A, pp. 1493–507.
- H.K.D.H. Bhadeshia: Bainite in Steel, Transformation, Microstructure and Properties, 2nd ed., The Institute of Materials, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 2001, pp. 201–24 and 237.
- S. Yue, A. DiChiro, and A. Zarei-Hanzaki: JOM, 1997, pp. 59–61.
- R. Bengochea, B. Lopez, and I. Gutierrez: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 1998, vol. 29A, pp. 417–26. CrossRef
- D.A. Hughes and N. Hansen: Acta Mater., 1997, vol. 45 (9), pp. 3871–86. CrossRef
- N. Hansen: Scripta Metall., 1992, vol. 27, pp. 1447–52. CrossRef
- D.V. Edmonds and R.C. Cochrane: Metall. Trans. A, 1990, vol. 21A, pp. 1527–39.
- K. Fujiwara and S. Okaguchi: Mater. Sci. Forum, 1998, vols. 284–286, pp. 271–78. CrossRef
- A.J. DeArdo: Thermomechanical Processing of Steels, 2000, IOM, London, vol. 1, pp. 309–21.
- P.H. Shipway and H.K.D.H. Bhadeshia: Mater. Sci. Technol., 1995, vol. 11, pp. 1116–28.
- F. Hassani and S. Yue: 41st MWSP Conf. Proc., ISS, Warrendale, PA, 1999, vol. XXXVII, pp. 493–98.
- G. Langford and M. Cohen: Trans. ASM, 1969, vol. 62, pp. 623–38.
- T. Kvackaj and I. Mamuzic: Iron Steel Inst. Jpn. Int., 1998, vol. 38 (11), pp. 1270–76.
- Effect of deformation schedule on the microstructure and mechanical properties of a thermomechanically processed C-Mn-Si transformation-induced plasticity steel
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 34, Issue 8 , pp 1599-1609
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors