Symmetry-breaking transitions in equilibrium shapes of coherent precipitates: Effect of elastic anisotropy and inhomogeneity
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We examine the symmetry-breaking transitions in equilibrium shapes of coherent precipitates in two-dimensional (2-D) systems under a plane-strain condition with the principal misfit strain components ε* xx and ε* yy . For systems with cubic elastic moduli, we first show all the shape transitions associated with different values of t=ε* yy /ε* xx . We also characterize each of these transitions, by studying its dependence on elastic anisotropy and inhomogeneity. For systems with dilatational misfit (t=1) and those with pure shear misfit (t=−1), the transition is from an equiaxed shape to an elongated shape, resulting in a break in rotational symmetry. For systems with nondilatational misfit (−1<t<1; t ≠ 0), the transition involves a break in mirror symmetries normal to the x- and y-axes. The transition is continuous in all cases, except when 0<t<1. For systems which allow an invariant line (−1≤t<0), the critical size increases with an increase in the particle stiffness. However, for systems which do not allow an invariant line (0<t≤1), the critical size first decreases, reaches a minimum, and then starts increasing with increasing particle stiffness; moreover, the transition is also forbidden when the particle stiffness is greater than a critical value.
- M. Doi: Progr. Mater. Sci., 1996, vol. 40, pp. 79–180. CrossRef
- P. Fratzl, O. Penrose, and J.L. Lebowitz: J. Stat. Phys., 1999, vol. 95, pp. 1429–1503. CrossRef
- D.M. Barnett, J.K. Lee, H.I. Aaronson, and K.C. Russell: Scripta Metall., 1974, vol. 8, pp. 1447–50. CrossRef
- A. Pineau: Acta Metall., 1976, vol. 24, pp. 559–64. CrossRef
- A.G. Khachaturyan: Theory of Structural Transformations in Solids, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1983.
- W.C. Johnson and J.W. Cahn: Acta Metall., 1984, vol. 32, pp. 1925–33. CrossRef
- P.W. Voorhees, G.B. McFadden, and W.C. Johnson: Acta Metall. Mater., 1992, vol. 40, pp. 2979–92. CrossRef
- M.E. Thompson, C.S. Su, and P.W. Voorhees: Acta Metall. Mater., 1994, vol. 42, pp. 2107–22. CrossRef
- H.-J. Jou, P.H. Leo, and J.S. Lowengrub: J. Comp. Phys., 1997, vol. 131, pp. 109–48. CrossRef
- I. Schmidt and D. Gross: J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 1997, vol. 45, pp. 1521–49. CrossRef
- R. Mueller and D. Gross: Comp. Mater. Sci., 1998, vol. 11, pp. 35–44. CrossRef
- M.E. Thompson and P.W. Voorhees: Acta Mater., 1999, vol. 47, pp. 983–96. CrossRef
- P.H. Leo, J.S. Lowengrub, and Q. Nie: J. Comp. Phys., 2000, vol. 157, pp. 44–88. CrossRef
- C.S. Jog, R. Sankarasubramanian, and T.A. Abinandanan: J. Mech. Phys. Solids., 2000, vol. 48, pp. 2363–89. CrossRef
- R. Sankarasubramanian: Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2000.
- W.C. Johnson, M.B. Berkenpas, and D.E. Laughlin: Acta Metall., 1988, vol. 36, pp. 3149–62. CrossRef
- Susumu Satoh and William C. Johnson: Metall. Trans. A, 1992, vol. 23A, pp. 2761–73.
- G. Wulff: Z. Kristall. Min., 1901, vol. 34, pp. 449–530.
- C. Herring: Structure and Properties of Solid Surfaces, Chicago University Press, Chicago, IL, 1953, p. 5.
- K. Schittkowski: Ann. Op. Res., 1985–86, vol. 5, pp. 485–500. CrossRef
- M.J. Kaufman, P.W. Voorhees, W.C. Johnson, and F.S. Biancaniello: Metall. Trans. A, 1989, vol. A20, pp. 2171–75.
- A. Maheshwari, M. Meshkinpour, and A.J. Ardell: Proc. Symp. on Modelling of Coarsening and Grain Growth, C.S. Pande and S.P. Marsh, eds., TMS, Warrendale, 1993, pp. 23–33.
- Y. Wang and A.G. Khachaturyan: Acta Metall. Mater., 1995, vol. 43, pp. 1837–57. CrossRef
- Symmetry-breaking transitions in equilibrium shapes of coherent precipitates: Effect of elastic anisotropy and inhomogeneity
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 33, Issue 4 , pp 1083-1090
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute for Physics, University of Augsburg, 86135, Augsburg, Germany
- 3. Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, 560 012, Bangalore, India
- 2. Department of Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Science, 560 012, Bangalore, India