Particle rearrangement during powder compaction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Densification in powder compaction occurs due to the motion of particle centers toward each other, including particle rearrangement and particle deformation. The process of particle sliding and rearrangement has a critical influence on densification in practice, especially during the first stage of compaction. Analytic models and experimental measurements show that the movements of individual particles within a powder compact cause continuous tightening of the bulk packing state up to a fractional compact density of 0.92. For a mass of powder with an initial packing density of 0.64, up to a 40 pct green density increase during the first stage of densification occurs by particle rearrangement. The present study proposes a parameter, termed the particle-packing factor, that describes the packing state due to both deformation and rearrangement.
- H.F. Fischmeister and E. Artz: Powder Metall., 1983, vol. 26, pp. 82–88.
- H.F. Fischmeister, E. Artz, and L.R. Olsson: Powder Metall., 1978, vol. 21, pp. 179–87.
- G.D. Scott: Nature, 1960, vol. 188, pp. 908–09. CrossRef
- P.J. James: Powder Metall., 1977, vol. 20, pp. 199–204.
- I.H. Moon and J.S. Choi: Powder Metall., 1985, vol. 28, pp. 21–26.
- M. Strömgren, H. Åström, and K.E. Easterling: Powder Metall., 1973, vol. 16, pp. 155–65.
- D.P. DeLo: Ph.D. Thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 1997.
- D.P. DeLo and H.R. Piehler: Acta Metall. Mater., 1999, vol. 47, pp. 2841–52.
- D.P. DeLo, R.E. Dutton, and S.L. Semiatin: Scripta Mater., 1999, vol. 40, pp. 1103–09. CrossRef
- H.R. Piehler and D.P. DeLo: Progr. Mater. Sci., 1997, vol. 42, pp. 263–76. CrossRef
- J. Liu and T.J. Davies: Powder Metall., 1997, vol. 40, pp. 51–54.
- E. Klar and W.M. Shafer: Int. J. Powder Metall. Powder Technol., 1969, vol. 5, pp. 5–12.
- T. Sheppard and H.B. McShane: Powder Metall., 1980, vol. 23, pp. 120–25.
- E.K.H. Li and P.D. Funkenbusch: Acta Metall. Mater., 1989, vol. 37, pp. 1645–55. CrossRef
- J. Liu and T.J. Davies: Powder Metall., 1997, vol. 40, pp. 48–50.
- J. Liu and R.M. German: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 2000, vol. 31A, pp. 2607–14.
- J.V. Kumar: Report No. MDN R&D 10, Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited, Hyderabad, India, 1987.
- E. Arzt: Acta Metall., 1982, vol. 30, pp. 1883–90. CrossRef
- D. Bouvard and E. Ouerdraogo: Powder Technol., 1986, vol. 46, pp. 255–62. CrossRef
- M. Dietz, H.P. Buchkremer, R. Hecher, and D. Stöver: Proc. 4th Int. on Isostatic Pressing, Strat-upon-Avon, MPR Publishing Services Ltd, Shrewsbury, United Kingdom, 1990, pp. 34-1–34-2.
- Particle rearrangement during powder compaction
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 32, Issue 12 , pp 3117-3124
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors