Effects of Zuogui Pill (左归丸) and Yougui Pill (右归丸) on the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and cyclic adenosine monophosphate/protein kinase a signaling transduction pathways of axonal regeneration in model rats with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To study the effects of Zuogui Pill (左归丸, ZGP) and Yougui Pill (右归丸, YGP) on the expressions of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP)/protein kinase A (PKA) signaling of axonal regeneration in the Lewis rats with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), in order to explore the possible mechanism of ZGP and YGP on promoting axonal regeneration.
The rats were randomly divided into normal control (NC), model (MO), prednisone acetate (PA), ZGP and YGP groups. The EAE model of rat was established by injecting antigen containing myelin basic protein (MBP)68–86. The brain and spinal cord were harvested on the 14th and 28th day post-immunization (PI), the protein and mRNA expression of BDNF and PKA in the brain and spinal cord of rats were detected by Western blot analysis and real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and the cAMP levels were detected by using enzyme-immunoassay method.
(1) On the 28th day PI, the mRNA expression of BDNF in brain white matter and spinal cord of rats in ZGP and YGP groups were up-regulated, especially in YGP group (P<0.05 or P<0.01). (2) On the 14th day PI, the cAMP levels in brain white matters significantly increased in PA and YGP groups compared with MO group (P<0.05 or P<0.01), and the cAMP level in YGP group was higher than that in ZGP group (P<0.05). The cAMP level in spinal cord also significantly increased in YGP group compared with MO, PA and ZGP groups, respectively (P<0.01). (3) On the 14th day PI, the PKA expression in spinal cord of rats in ZGP group was significantly decreased compared with MO and YGP groups, respectively (P<0.05). (4) On the 28th day PI, there was a positive correlation between cAMP and PKA expression in the brain white matter of YGP rats.
The results suggest that ZGP and YGP may promote axonal regeneration by modulating cAMP/PKA signal transduction pathway, but the targets of molecular mechanism of ZGP may be different from those of YGP.
- Lassmann H. Axonal and neuronal pathology in multiple sclerosis: what have we learnt from animal models. Exp Neurol 2010;225:2–8. CrossRef
- Chen MJ, Nguyen TV, Pike CJ, Russo-Neustadt AA. Norepinephrine induces BDNF and activates the PI-3K and MAPK cascades in embryonic hippocampal neurons. Cell Signal 2007;19:114–128. CrossRef
- Wang L, Zhao H, Fan YP, Gong HY, Ye M, Zhou L, et al. Effects of kidney-tonifying therapy on GAP-43 and MAP-2 expression in brain and spinal cord tissues in rats with experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. J Capital Med Univ (Chin) 2007;28:748–752.
- Wang L, Fan YP, Gong HY, Ye M, Zhou L, Zhao H, et al. Effect of Zuogui Pill and Yougui Pill on remyelination and axonal regeneration in rats with experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. Chin J Exp Trad Med Form (Chin) 2008;14:42–45.
- Kou S, Wang YZ, Li M, Qi F, Zheng Q, Zhao H, et al. Effects of Zuogui Pill and Yougui Pill on expression of apoptosis protein fas and bax of brain tissue in rat with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Liaoning Univ Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2011;13:61–65.
- Xu JJ, Chen EY, Lu CL, He C. Recombinant ciliary neurotrophic factor promotes nerve regeneration and induces gene expression in silicon tube-bridged transected sciatic nerves in adult rats. J Clin Neurosci 2009;16:812–817. CrossRef
- Tang J, Wu LS. Research progress on central nerve system regeneration. Anatomy Clin (Chin) 2006;11:210–212.
- Makar TK, Trisler D, Sura KT, Sultana S, Patel N, Bever CT. Brain derived neurotrophic factor treatment reduces inflammation and apoptosis in experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. J Neurol Sci 2008;270:70–76. CrossRef
- Javeri S, Rodi M, Tary-Lehmann M, Lehmann PV, Addicks K, Kuerten S. Involvement of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in MP4-induced autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Clin Immunol 2010;137:181–189. CrossRef
- Schäbitz WR, Berger C, Kollmar R, Seitz M, Tanay E, Kiessling M, et al. Effect of brain-derived neurotrophic factor treatment and forced arm use on functional motor recovery after small cortical ischemia. Stroke 2004;35:992–997. CrossRef
- Radwan IA, Saito S, Goto F. Neurotrophic factors can partially reverse morphological changes induced by mepivacaine and bupivacaine in developing sensory neurons. Anesth Analg 2003;97:506–511. CrossRef
- Juric DM, Loncar D, Carman-Krzan M. Noradrenergic stimulation of BDNF synthesis in astrocytes: mediation via α1- and β1/β2-adrenergic receptors. Neurochem Int 2008;52:297–306. CrossRef
- Kuipers SD, Trentani A, Den Boer JA, Ter Horst GJ. Molecular correlates of impaired prefrontal plasticity in response to chronic stress. J Neurochem 2003;85:1312–1323. CrossRef
- Neumann S, Bradke F, Tessier-Lavigne M, Basbaum AI. Regeneration of sensory axons within the injured spinal cord induced by intraganglionic cAMP elevation. Neuron 2002;34:885–893. CrossRef
- Qiu J, Cai D, Dai H, McAtee M, Hoffman PN, Bregman BS, et al. Spinal axon regeneration induced by elevation of cyclic AMP. Neuron 2002;34:895–903. CrossRef
- Folcik VA, Smith T, O’Bryant S, Kawczak JA, Zhu B, Sakurai H, et al. Treatment with BBB022A or rolipram stabilizes the blood-brain barrier in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis: an additional mechanism for the therapeutic effect of type IV phosphodiesterase inhibitors. J Neuroimmunol 1999;97:119–128. CrossRef
- Ma RH, Yang BY, Wu CY. A selective phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4) inhibitor suppresses IL-17 production by human memory Th17 cells. Int J Inorg 2008;8:1408–1417.
- Salinthone S, Schillace RV, Marracci GH, Bourdette DN, Carr DW. Lipoic acid stimulates cAMP production via the EP2 and EP4 prostanoid receptors and inhibits IFN gamma synthesis and cellular cytotoxicity in NK cells. J Neuroimmunol 2008;199:46–55. CrossRef
- Kuklina EM, Shirshev SV. Role of cAMP-dependent signal transduction in the control of T lymphocyte activation. Biochem 2000;65:629–639.
- Chierzi S, Ratto GM, Verma P, Fawcett JW. The ability of axons to regenerate their growth cones depends on axonal type and age and is regulated by calcium cAMP and ERK. Eur J Neurosci 2005;21:2051–2062. CrossRef
- Ghosh A, Carnahan J, Greenberg ME. Requirement for BDNF in activity-dependent survival of cortical neurons. Sci 1994;263:618–623. CrossRef
- Byung HH, David MH. BDNF protects the neonatal brain form hypoxic-ischemic injuy in vivo via the ERK pathway. J Neurosci 2000;20:5775–5781.
- Nakazawa T, Tamai M, Mori N. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor prevents axotomized retinal ganglion cell death through MAPK and PI3K signaling pathways. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2002;43:3319–3326.
- Effects of Zuogui Pill (左归丸) and Yougui Pill (右归丸) on the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and cyclic adenosine monophosphate/protein kinase a signaling transduction pathways of axonal regeneration in model rats with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 24-30
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
- Zuogui Pill
- Yougui Pill
- brain-derived neurotrophic factor
- cyclic adenosine monophosphate
- protein kinase A
- axonal injury and regeneration
- Chinese medicine
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Capital Medical University, Beijing, 100069, China
- 2. Concord Medical Services Holdings Limited, Beijing, 100013, China
- 3. Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, the Military General Hospital of Beijing People’s Liberation Army, Beijing, 100007, China