Acupuncture for pain: An overview of Cochrane reviews
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Cochrane reviews have the reputation for being more transparent and rigorous than other reviews. The aim of this overview was to evaluate and summarize Cochrane reviews of acupuncture for the treatment of any type of pain.
We searched the Cochrane Database and evaluated the Cochrane reviews that were concerned specifically with the effectiveness of acupuncture for pain. Data were extracted according to pre-defined inclusion criteria by two independent reviewers.
Eight Cochrane reviews were included. They were all of high methodological quality. They related to a wide range of pain syndromes. Four reviews concluded that acupuncture is effective for migraines, neck disorders, tension-type headaches, and peripheral joint osteoarthritis; one review failed to demonstrate type the effectiveness of acupuncture for rheumatoid arthritis; and three reviews were inconclusive for shoulder pain, lateral elbow pain, and low back pain.
Several Cochrane reviews of acupuncture for a wide range of pain conditions have recently been published. All of these reviews were of high quality. Their results suggest that acupuncture is effective for some but not all types of pain.
- Han JS. Acupuncture analgesia: Areas of consensus and controversy. Pain 2010 Nov B. [Epub ahead of print].
- Ernst E, Lee MS, Choi TY. Acupuncture: Does it alleviate pain and are there serious risks? Pain 2011. In Press.
- The Cochrane Collaboration. Cochrane reviews. Available at http://www.cochrane.org/cochrane-reviews. Accessed at 20, Dec, 2010.
- Manheimer E, Wieland S, Kimbrough E, Cheng K, Berman BM. Evidence from the cochrane collaboration for traditional chinese medicine therapies. J Altern Complement Med 2009;15:1001–1014. CrossRef
- Manheimer E, Cheng K, Linde K, Lao L, Yoo J, Wieland S, et al. Acupuncture for peripheral joint osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;CD001977.
- Linde K, Allais G, Brinkhaus B, Manheimer E, Vickers A, White Adrian R. Acupuncture for migraine prophylaxis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;CD001218.
- Linde K, Allais G, Brinkhaus B, Manheimer E, Vickers A, White Adrian R. Acupuncture for tension-type headache. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;CD007587.
- Trinh K, Graham N, Gross A, Goldsmith Charles H, Wang E, Cameron Ian D, et al. Acupuncture for neck disorders. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;CD004870.
- Casimiro L, Barnsley L, Brosseau L, Milne S, Welch V, Tugwell P, et al. Acupuncture and electroacupuncture for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;CD003788.
- Green S, Buchbinder R, Hetrick Sarah E. Acupuncture for shoulder pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;CD005319.
- Furlan AD, van Tulder MW, Cherkin D, Tsukayama H, Lao L, Koes BW, et al. Acupuncture and dry-needling for low back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;CD001351.
- Green S, Buchbinder R, Barnsley L, Hall S, White M, Smidt N, et al. Acupuncture for lateral elbow pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002;CD003527.
- Manheimer E, Eaton K, Lao L, White Adrian R, Morozova O. Acupuncture for the treatment of post-operative pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;CD006042.
- Paley CA, Johnson MI, Tashani OA, Bagnall A-M. Acupuncture for cancer pain in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;CD007753.
- Smith CA, He L, Zhu X, Song J. Acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;CD007854.
- Wang P, Zhao J, Wu T. Acupuncture for postherpetic neuralgia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;CD007793.
- Zhu X, Hamilton Kindreth D, McNicol Ewan D. Acupuncture for pain in endometriosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009;CD007864.
- Higgins JPT, Green S. Cochrane handbook of systematic reviews of interventions. West Sussex, Wiley-Blackwell, 2008. CrossRef
- Kong JC, Lee MS, Shin BC. Randomized clinical trials on acupuncture in korean literature: a systematic review. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2009;6:41–48. CrossRef
- Acupuncture for pain: An overview of Cochrane reviews
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 3 , pp 187-189
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Association of Traditional and Western Medicine
- Additional Links
- Cochrane review
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Brain Disease Research Center, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon, South Korea
- 2. Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK
- 3. Brain Disease Research Center, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, 461-24, Jeonmin-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 305-811, South Korea