Integrative medicine — Traditional Chinese medicine, A model ?
- Nicola Robinson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper explores the concept of integrative medicine (IM) in relation to complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). It contrasts IM available in China to its availability in the West. The second part of the paper highlights tools which could facilitate opportunities for IM. The paper concludes with a plea to ensure and maintain the integrity of traditional Chinese medical practice, and to continue to increase developing the evidence base through a funded European Coordination Action between EU member states and China.
- Robinson N. Integrated Chinese medicine. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2006;12:132–140. CrossRef
- Lu A, Ding X, Chen K. Current situation and progress in integrative medicine in China. Chin J Integr Med 2008; 14:234–240. CrossRef
- Chu QT. The model of integration of traditional medicine with modern medicine in hospitals of traditional medicine in Vietnam: present status and prospective plan. Chin J Integr Med 2008;14:228–231. CrossRef
- Grace S, Higgs J. Integrative medicine: enhancing quality in primary health care. J Altern Complement Med 2010;16: 945–950. CrossRef
- Kemper KJ, Dirkse D, Eadie D, Pennington M. What do clinicians want? Interest in integrative health services at a North Carolina academic medical centre. BMC Complement Altern Med 2007;7:5. CrossRef
- Boon HS, Kachan N. Integrative medicine: a tale of two clinics. BMC Complement Altern Med 2008;8:32. CrossRef
- Schumacher HR. West meets East-observations on Integrative medicine in rheumatology from the USA. Chin J Integr Med 2008;14(3):165–166. CrossRef
- House of Lords (2000). Select Committee on Science and Technology — Sixth Report on Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM). URL http://www.parliament.the-statonery-office.co.uk/pa.ld1999000/dselect/ldselect/idsctech/123/12301.htm.
- Patwardhan B, Warude D, Pushpangadan P, Bhatt N. Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine: a comparative overview. eCAM 2005;2:465–473.
- Department of Health. The regulation of the non-medical healthcare professions. A review by the Department of Health, July 2006. http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/13/72/95/04137295.pdf.
- Wallach H, Brinkhaus B, Heusser P, Reiter B, Michaelson A, Witt C, et al. Complementary or integrative-ideas and notions. Forschende Komplementarmedizin 2010;17:215–220. CrossRef
- Robinson N, Lorenc A, Blair M. Developing a decisionmaking model on traditional and complementary medicine use for children. Eur J Integr Med 2009;1:48–56.
- Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine in the US. www imconsortium org.
- Grenfell A, Patel N, Robinson N. Complementary therapy: GPs’ referral and patients’ use in an urban multi-ethnic area. Complement Ther Med 1998;6:127–132. CrossRef
- Robinson N, Donaldson J, Watt H. Auditing outcomes and costs of integrated complementary medicine provision — the importance of length of follow up. Complement Therap Clini Pract 2006; 12:249–257. CrossRef
- Thomas KJ, Coleman P, Nicholl JP. Trends in access to complementary medicines via primary care in England 1995–2001. Results from a follow-up national survey. Family Pract 2005;20: 575–577. CrossRef
- Brinkhaus B. Case conferences on integrative medicine-a new tool to improve patient centred care in medicine. Forschende Komplementarmedizin 2010;17:177–178. CrossRef
- Lai S, Wu D, Lao Y. Scientific principles and rigouress processes should be followed in developing clinical guidelines for therapeutic interventions of integrative medicine. Chin J Integr Med 2008;14:3–5. CrossRef
- Lorenc A, Ilan-Clarke Y, Robinson N, Blair M. How patients choose to use CAM: A systematic review of theoretical models. BMC Complement Altern Med 2009;9:9. CrossRef
- Cardini F, Wade C, Regalia AL, Gui S, Li W, Raschetti R, et al. Clinical research in traditional medicine: priorities and methods. Complement Ther Med 2006;14:282–287. CrossRef
- Giordano J, Garcia MK, Strickland G. Integrating Chinese traditional medicine into a U.S. Public health paradigm. J Altern Complement Med 2004;10:706–710.
- Integrative medicine — Traditional Chinese medicine, A model ?
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 21-25
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Association of Traditional and Western Medicine
- Additional Links
- integrative medicine
- traditional Chinese medicine
- evidence based medicine
- Industry Sectors
- Nicola Robinson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Health and Human Sciences, Thames Valley University, London, UK