Effect of Xuezhikang Capsule (血脂康胶囊) on serum tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin-6 in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hyperlipidemia
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To evaluate the effect of Xuezhikang Capsule (血脂康胶囊) on the serum levels of inflammatory factors such as tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and hyperlipidemia, and to explore whether it has anti-inflammatory effect.
A total of 84 patients were randomly assigned to two groups with stratified block randomization, the treatment group (42 cases) and the control group (42 cases). They were treated with Xuezhikang Capsule and polyene phosphatidylcholine capsule for twenty-four weeks, respectively. The changes in serum TNF-α and IL-6 were measured by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay before treatment and at the 12th and 24th week.
Compared with those before treatment, the serum levels of TNF-α and IL-6 significantly decreased in both groups after treatment (P<0.01). There was no significant change between the two groups for the treatments at different time points (P>0.05) and between the two groups for treatments at the same time points (P>0.05).
Xuezhikang Capsule can inhibit the serum inflammatory factor in patients with NAFLD and hyperlipidemia.
- Huang J, Li YY, Zhou YJ. Association between tumor necrosis factor-alpha gene polymorphism and insulin resistance in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Chin J Hepatol (Chin) 2006;14:613–615.
- Liu J, Gao X, Chen Y, Yao QG, Chen G, Luo JF. The relationship between nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and insulin resistance. Chin J Diabetes (Chin) 2004;12:114–119.
- Shi JP, Zheng YQ, Lou GQ. The study on relationship between insulin resistance and serum levels of IL-6, 8 and TNF-α in patients with fatty liver. Bull Med Res (Chin) 2005;34:18–20.
- Wang WX, Chen KJ. Xuezhikang Capsule for hyperlipidemia: a systematic review. Chin J Evid-based Med (Chin) 2006;6:352–360.
- Yang HB, Tang YS, Xu FY, Zhang XH, Zhu XL. Effect of Xuezhikang on vascular endothelial function and blood level of nitric oxide and endothelin in patients with hyperlipidemia. Chin J Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2003;23:13–15.
- Chen L, Tu YY, Chen ZQ, Lin H. Treating non-alcoholic fatty liver disease accompanied by hyperlipidemia with Xuezhikang Capsule. Chin Tradit Patent Med (Chin) 2007;29:326–329.
- Zhao SP, Liu L, Cheng YC, Li YL. Effect of Xuezhikang Capsule, a cholestin extract, on reflecting postprandial triglyceridemia after a high-fat meal in patients with coronary heart disease. Atherosclerosis 2003;168:375–380. CrossRef
- Fatty Liver and Alcoholic Liver Disease Study Group of Chinese Society of Liver Diseases, Chinese Medical Association. Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Chin J Hepatol (Chin) 2006;14:161–163.
- Focus Group of Prevention and Treatment of Dyslipidemia. Suggestion on prevention and treatment of dyslipidemia. Chin J Cardiol (Chin) 1997;25:169–172.
- Angelico F, Del Ben M, Conti R, Francioso S, Feole K, Maccioni D, et al. Non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome: a hepatic consequence of common metabolic diseases. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003;18:588–594. CrossRef
- Hirosumi J, Tuncman G, Chang L, Görgün CZ, Uysal KT, Maeda K, et al. A central role for JNK in obesity and insulin resistance. Nature 2002;420:333–336. CrossRef
- Nanes MS. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha: molecular and cellular mechanisms in skeletal pathology. Gene 2003;321:1–15 CrossRef
- Rotter V, Nagaev I, Smith U. Interleukin-6 (IL-6) induces insulin resistance in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and is, like IL-8 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha, overexpressed in human fat cells from insulin-resistant subjects. J Biol Chem 2003;278:45777–45784. CrossRef
- Senn JJ, Klover PJ, Nowak IA, Zimmers TA, Koniaris LG, Furlanetto RW, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling-3 (SOCS-3), a potential mediator of interleukin-6 dependent insulin resistance in hepatocytes. J Biol Chem 2003;278:13740–13746. CrossRef
- Heber D, Yip I, Ashley JM, Elashoff DA, Elashoff RM, Go VL. Cholesterol-lowering effects of a proprietary Chinese red-yeast-rice dietary supplement. Am J Clin Nutr 1999;69:231–236.
- Effect of Xuezhikang Capsule (血脂康胶囊) on serum tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin-6 in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hyperlipidemia
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 119-123
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Association of Traditional and Western Medicine
- Additional Links
- Xuezhikang Capsule
- nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- tumor necrosis factor-α
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, The First Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310003, China
- 2. Department of Hepatology, Zhejiang Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Hangzhou, 310003, China