Effects of combined therapy of Xuezhikang Capsule (血脂康胶囊) and Valsartan on hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy and heart rate turbulence
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To observe the effect of combined therapy with Xuezhikang Capsule (血脂康胶囊, XZK) and Valsartan on left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) and heart rate turbulence (HRT) in hypertensive patients.
Ninety primary hypertensive patients with LVH were randomly assigned to three groups. Basic treatment, including aspirin, β-blockers, calcium antagonists, etc. were administered to all patients. Additionally, Valsartan (VS, 80 mg once a day) was given to the 30 patients in the VS group. Valsartan (in the same dosage) and XZK (600 mg, twice a day) were given to the 32 patients in the Chinese medicine (CM) group, while none was given to the 28 patients in the control group. The therapeutic course lasted for 24 months. Changes in left ventricular mass index (LVMI) measured by cardiac ultrasonic indices, HRT parameters, including the original heart rate (TO) and slope coeffificient (TS), systolic and diastolic blood pressures (SBP and DBP), as well as blood cholesterol level (TC) were measured before and after treatment.
After treatment, TO and LVMI were lowered, while TS increased in both the VS group and the CM group (P<0.01), but changed insignificantly in the control group. Significant differences between the CM group and the control group were shown in terms of TO, LVMI, SBP, DBP and TS (P<0.01); and between the CM group and the VS group in terms of TO, LVMI and TS (P<0.01). Moreover, HRT parameters showed an evident correlation with LVMI (r=0.519–0.635, P<0.01).
Combined therapy with XZK and Valsartan can improve hypertensive LVH and HRT parameters, and lessen the damage on the autonomous nervous system.
- Koren MJ, Devereux RB, Casale PN, Savage DD, Laragh JH. Relation of left ventricular mass and geometry to morbidity and mortality in uncomplicated essential hypertension. Ann Intern Med 1991;114:345–352.
- Takemono M, Node K, Nakagami H. Statins as antioxidant therapy for preventing cardiac myocyte hypertrophy. J Clin Invest 2001;108:1429–1437.
- Ye P, Sheng L, Zhang C, Liu Y. Atorvastatin attenuating down-regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma in preventing cardiac hypertrophy of rats in vitro and in vivo. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2006;9:365–375.
- World Health Organization, International Society of Hypertension Writing Group. 2003 World Health Organization (WHO), International Society of Hypertension (ISH) statement on management of hypertension (Guidelines and recommendations). J Hypertens 2003;21:1983–1992. CrossRef
- Morley-davies A, Dargie HJ, Cobbe SM, Schneider R, Schmidt G. Heart rate turbulence: a novel holter derived measure and mortality in chronic heart failure. Eur Heart J 2000;21:408–416.
- Guo JH. Heart rate turbulence. J Clin Electrocardiol 2003;24:49–54.
- De Simone G, Devereux RB, Camargo MJ, Wallerson DC, Laragh JH. Midwall left ventricular performance in saltloaded Dahl rats: effect of AT1 angiotensin II inhibition. J Hypertens1 1996;13:1808–1824.
- Tedesco MA, Ratti G, Aquino D, Limongelli G, di Salvo G, Mennella S, et al. Effects of valsartan on hypertension and left ventricular mass: a long-term study. J Hum Hypertens 1998;24:505–510. CrossRef
- Dechend R, Fiebeler A, Park JK, Muller DN, Theuer J, Mervaala E, et al. Amelioration of angiotensin II-induced cardiac injury by a 3-hydroxy-3-methylgutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor. Circulation 2001;104:576–581. CrossRef
- Indolfi C, Di LE, Perrino C, Stingone AM, Curcio A, Torella D, et al. Hydroxymethylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor Xuezhikang Capsules prevents cardiac hypertrophy induced by pressure overload and inhibits p21 ras activation. Circulation 2002;106:2118–2244. CrossRef
- Lin LY, Lai LP, Lin JL, Du CC, Shau WY, Chan HL, et al. Tight mechanism correlation between heart rate turbulence and baroreflex sensitivity: sequential autonomic blockade analysis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2002;13:427. CrossRef
- Marine JE, Watanabe MA, Smith TW, Monahan KM. Effect of atropine on heart rate turbulence. Am J Cardiol 2002;89:767. CrossRef
- Poreba R, Derkacz A, Silber M, Andrzejak R. Assessment of cardiac arrhythmias in patients suffering from essential hypertension. Pol Arch Med Wewn 2004;111:183–189.
- Kawasaki T, Azuma A, Asada S, Hadase M, Kamitani T, Kawasaki S, et al. Heart rate turbulence and clinical prognosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and myocardial infarction. Circ J 2003;677:601. CrossRef
- Effects of combined therapy of Xuezhikang Capsule (血脂康胶囊) and Valsartan on hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy and heart rate turbulence
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 114-118
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Association of Traditional and Western Medicine
- Additional Links
- heart rate turbulence
- left ventricular hypertrophy
- Xuezhikang Capsule
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Cardiovascular Department, the First Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University, Nanchang, 330006, China
- 2. The Ultrasonic Department, the First Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University, Nanchang, 330006, China
- 3. Fengcheng Municipal Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fengcheng, 331100, China
- 4. The Dynamic ECG Department, the First Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University, Nanchang, 330006, China
- 5. The Cardiovascular Department, the Fourth Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University, Nanchang, 330006, China