Effects of tanshinone II A on the myocardial hypertrophy signal transduction system protein kinase B in rats
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To study the effect of tanshinone II A on the cell signal transduction system protein kinase B (Akt) in rats with hypertrophy of the myocardium induced by partial constriction of the thoracic aorta.
Rat models of myocardial hypertrophy were established by the thoracic aorta partial constriction method. Forty-eight rats were randomly divided into the sham-operative group, the model group, the valsartan treatment group, and the low-, medium-, and high-dose tanshinone treatment groups. The heart mass index (HMI), left ventricular mass index (LVMI), ejection fraction (EF), left ventricular posterior wall (LVPW), and interventricular septal thickness (IVS) were detected by high-frequency ultrasonography. The myocardial fiber diameter (MFD) was detected by HE staining, and the contents of p-Akt and p-Gsk3β in the myocardium were detected by Western blot.
Compared with the sham-operative group, the levels of HMI, LVMI, LVPW, IVS, and MFD were increased respectively in the other groups (P<0.05); the contents of p-Akt and p-Gsk3β were also increased in the other groups. Compared with the model group, the levels of HMI, LVMI, LVPW, IVS, and MFD were decreased respectively in all treatment groups (P<0.05); the contents of p-Akt and p-Gsk3β were decreased in all treatment groups as well. There was no significant difference, however, among the low-, medium-, and high-dose tanshinone treatment groups and the valsartan treatment group (P>0.05).
Tanshinone II A can prevent myocardial hypertrophy by its action on the protein kinase B (Akt) signaling pathway.
- Sun LP, Zheng Z. The effects of sodium tanshinone II A sulfonate on activation of NF-κB on hypertrophic myocardial cells. Practical Geriatr (Chin) 2004;18:25–27.
- Pagel I, Langenickel T, Hohnel K, Philipp S, Nussler AK, Blum WF, et al. Cardiac and renal effects of growth hormone in volume overload-induced heart failure: role of NO. Hypertension 2002;39:57–62. CrossRef
- Frey N, Olson EN. Cardiac hypertrophy: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ann Rev Physiol 2003;65:45–79. CrossRef
- Spirito P, Autore C. Management of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. BMJ 2006;322:1251–1255. CrossRef
- Morisco C, Zebroski D, Condorelli G, Tsichlis P, Uatner SF, Sadoshima J. The Akt-glycogen synthase kinase 3beta pathway regulates transcription of atrial natriuretic factor induced by beta-adrenergic receptor stimulation in cardiac myocytes. J Biol Chem 2000;275:14466–14475. CrossRef
- Cao W, Shi FX. Phosphodiesterase type 3B: downstream factor of PI3k/PKB pathway as well as its clinical research. Chin J Cell Biol 2007;29:800–804.
- Antos CL, Mckinsey TA, Frey N, Kutschke W, McAnally J, Shelton JM, et al. Activated glycogen synthase-3 beta suppresses cardial hypertrophy in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002;99:907–912. CrossRef
- Shio Jima I, Walsh K. Regulation of cardiac growth and coronary angiogenesis by the Akt/PKB signaling pathway. Genes Dev 2006;20:3347–3365. CrossRef
- Heineke J, Molkentin JD. Regulation of cardiac hypertrophy by intracellular signaling pathways. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2006;7:589–600. CrossRef
- Balakumar P, Singh M. The possible role of caspase-3 in pathological and physiological cardiac hypertrophy in rats. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2006;99:418–424. CrossRef
- Matsui T, Li L, Wu JC, Cook SA, Naqoshi T, Picard MH, et al. Phenotypix spectrum caused by transgenic overexpression of activated Akt in the heart. J Biol Chem 2002;277:22896–22901. CrossRef
- Shioi T, Mcmullen JR, Kang PM, Douqlas PS, Obata T, Franke TF, et al. Akt/protein kinase B promotes organ growth in transgenic mice. Mol Cell Biol 2002;22:2799–2809. CrossRef
- McMullen JR, Lzumo S. Role of the insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1)/Phosphoinositide-3-kinase (PI3k) pathway mediating physiological cardiac hypertrophy. Novartis Found Symp 2006;274:90–111. CrossRef
- Zhou Y, Zhang JP, Wu MH, Liu H, Zhao ZG, He SY, et al. Influence of “Yiqi Qiangxin Decoction“ on pressure overload myocardial hypertrophy. Shanghai J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2008;42(5):80–82.
- Sun LP, Zheng Z. The effect of Salvia Miltiorrhiza Bge on left ventricular hypertrophy and the expression of tumor necrosis factor-α in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Chin J Hypertens (Chin) 2004;12(3):54–57.
- Gong LY, Zheng Z. Tanshinone II A prevents angiotensin II-induced hypertrophy of cardiomyocytes from rat. West Chin J Pharmacol Sci (Chin) 2004;9:24–27.
- Jiang FL, Feng J, Zheng Z. Effect of sodium tanshinone II-A sulfonate on activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 in angiotensin II-induced cardiomyocyte hypertrophy. Chin Pharm Bull (Chin) 2008;24:307–312.
- Yang T, Zhang W, Zhang L. Inhibitory effects of L-argininenitric oxide pathway on formation of pathological cardiac hypertrophy and the related mechanisms. Acad J Second Mil Med Univ (Chin) 2008;29:177–183. CrossRef
- Ouyanq X, Takahashi K, Komatsu K, Nakamura N, Hattori M, Baba A, et al. Protective effect of salvia miltiorrhiza on angiotensin II induced hypertrophic responses in neonatal rat cardial cells. Jpn J Pharmacol 2001;87:289–296. CrossRef
- Pan GJ, Wang XL. Effect of Radix Salviae miltiorrhizae (RAM) on myocardiac hypertrophy in rat model of overloading pressure. Mol Cardiol Chin (Chin) 2007;7:34–36.
- Effects of tanshinone II A on the myocardial hypertrophy signal transduction system protein kinase B in rats
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 15, Issue 5 , pp 365-370
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Association of Traditional and Western Medicine
- Additional Links
- tanshinone II A
- myocardial hypertrophy
- protein kinase B
- thoracic aorta coarctation