Effect of Shenshao Tablet (参芍片) on the quality of life for coronary heart disease patients with stable angina pectoris
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To observe the effect of Chinese medicine Shenshao Tablet (参芍片, SST) on the: quality of life in coronary heart disease (CHD) patients with stable angina pectoris (SAP).
Sixty-six: patients with SAP confirmed by coronary angiography were enrolled and assigned to two groups by means of PROC PLAN using a SAS 6.12 software in a double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled design. Patients in the treated group were treated with SST, and the others in the control group were given placebo. The weekly angina frequency, quality of life scale [Seattle Angina Questionnaire (SAQ)] and incidence of important clinical events were observed to evaluate the intervention effect of SST on the quality of life for CHD patients with SAP.
During the study, one case dropped out in the treated group and two cases in the control group,: respectively, and 63 cases including 32 cases in the treated group, and 31 cases in the control group completed the trial. After four weeks of treatment, the weekly angina frequency of the treated group (5.32±2.46 times per week) was significantly less than that of the control group (7.32±3.20 times per week, P<0.05). The total score of the quality of life in the treated group (71.30±5.44) was obviously higher than that in the control group (63.50±4.60, P<0.01), and the angina stability, angina frequency, and treatment satisfaction were significantly superior to those in the control group (P<0.01). The incidence of important clinical events of the treated group (3.1%) was lower than that of the control group (6.5%) during the six-month follow-up period, but the difference was insignificant (P>0.05).
SST could lower the angina frequency and greatly improve the quality of: life in CHD patients with SAP.
- Hu JX. Clinical and experimental study of the effect of Shenshao Tablet on angina pectoris. Chin J Cardio-Cerebrovas Dis Integr Med (Chin) 2003;1:35–36.
- Gibbons RJ, Abrams J, Chatterjee K, Daley J, Deedwania PC, Douglas JS, et al. ACC/AHA 2002 guideline update for the management of patients with chronic stable angina-summary article: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines (Committee on the Management of Patients with Chronic Stable Angina). J Am Coll Cardiol 2003;41:159–168. CrossRef
- Spertus JA, Winder JA, Dewhurst TA, Deyo RA, Prodzinski J, McDonell M, et al. Development and evaluation of the Seattle Angina Questionnaire: a new functional status measure for coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 25: 333–341. CrossRef
- Wang J, He QY. Law of syndrome element combination in stable angina pectoris: a study based on cluster analysis and corresponding-correlation analysis. J Chin Integr Med 2008;6:690–694. CrossRef
- Xu JM, Zheng HJ. Report of 40 cases of coronary heart disease with angina pectoris treated with Shenshao Tablet. Shanghai J Tradit Med (Chin) 1995;11:10–11.
- Han P, Li LR. The effect of Chinese medicine on the quality of life of patients with perimenopausal syndrome. J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2008;49:320–322.
- Effect of Shenshao Tablet (参芍片) on the quality of life for coronary heart disease patients with stable angina pectoris
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 15, Issue 5 , pp 328-332
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Association of Traditional and Western Medicine
- Additional Links
- Shenshao Tablet
- stable angina pectoris
- Seattle Angina Questionnaire
- important clinical events
- Industry Sectors