Effect of Chinese herbal medicine combined with acitretin capsule in treating psoriasis of blood-heat syndrome type
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To observe the clinical curative effect of Chinese herbal medicine combined with acitretin capsule in treating psoriasis of blood-heat syndrome (P-BH).
Eighty patients of P-BH were randomly assigned to two groups, 39 in Group A and 41 in Group B. Both was treated with Chinese herbal medicines for clearing heat, cooling blood and removing toxic substance, and acitretin capsule was given to Group A additionally, with 8 weeks as one therapeutic course. The clinical curative effect was compared between groups, and the change of psoriasis activity severe index (PASI) scores before and after treatment was observed.
The total effective rate in Group A was 84.2% and that in Group B 68.2%, also showing significance between groups (P<0.01). PASI score lowered significantly after treatment in both groups, showing statistical significance (P<0.01), but no significant difference between groups. Little adverse reaction was found in Group B, while in Group A, the adverse reaction was of even milder degree, which could be alleviated by adjusting the herbal medicine and symptomatic treatment administration.
The effect of Chinese herbal medicine combined with acitretin capsule was superior to Chinese herbal medicine alone in treating P-BH, but the adverse reaction of acitretin capsule could be alleviated by adjusting the herbs used. However, the result is waiting to be verified further by larger samples.
- Zheng XY, ed. Guiding principle of clinical research on new drugs of traditional Chinese Medicine. Beijing: China Medic-Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technology Publishing House; 2002: 299–302.
- Zhao B, ed. Clinical dermatology. 3rd ed. Nanjing: Jiangsu Science and Technology Publishing House; 2006: 759–762.
- Fang WX, ed. Pharmacology of Chinese materia medica. 1 st ed. Beijng: People’s Medical Publishing House;1998: 113–218, 680, 717.
- Yang XY, Jin PY, Liu XQ, Chen ZQ, Li HL, Lin L. A retrospective analysis of etretinate and acitretin in treating psoriasis in the past 20 years. Chin J Dermatol (Chin) 2001; 34:471–472.
- Wang L, Ma Y, Wang DM, Ma JC. Evaluation the efficacy and the safety of the acitretin in the treatment of serious psoriasis. Chin J Dermatovenereol (Chin) 2005;19:61–62.
- Effect of Chinese herbal medicine combined with acitretin capsule in treating psoriasis of blood-heat syndrome type
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 141-144
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Association of Traditional and Western Medicine
- Additional Links
- acitretin capsule
- Chinese herbal medicine
- Industry Sectors