Progress of experimental study on treatment of psoriasis by Chinese medicinal monomer and single or compound recipe in Chinese materia medica
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Psoriasis is a common, chronic, recurrent inflammatory skin disorder whose etiology is still unknown. It is believed that a multiple-gene inheritance is involved and it also involves various factors such as immunity, inflammation, cell proliferation, apoptosis, neural media, etc. Since cytokines are key mediators in inflammation, a number of Chinese medicines (CMs) have been reported to have certain antagonist effects on pro-inflammatory cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), platelet active factor (PAF) and interleukin-8 (IL-8). Some researches on CMs have made significant breakthroughs in psoriasis by intervening with cytokines. Abnormalities with keratinocyte proliferation and apoptosis are considered to be present in patients with psoriasis and a number of studies show that the mechanism of CMs on psoriasis may be through the inhibition of the keratinocyte proliferation and induction of apoptosis. Other studies also show that the inhibition of fibroblast-secreted cytokines could regulate keratinocyte proliferation and differentiation and reduce the level of Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) in plasma and in lesions so as to slow down the process of inflammation and proliferation in psoriasis. The most commonly used models for psoriasis are the scaled tails or the vaginal epithelium of mice in China. They were used to observe the histopathological changes after the model mice were treated with CMs with the inhibition on the mitosis of vaginal epithelium or promotion of granular layer in rat tail taken as the indices of clinical efficacy. A variety of signs occur in psoriasis patients with TCM blood-stasis syndrome type and the effect of CMs in activating blood circulation to remove blood stasis on psoriasis suggested that the mechanism of CMs may be partially correlated to hemorrheology and microcirculation. Along with the continuous development of the biosciences, some TCM theories for psoriasis have been confirmed by laboratory studies. However, the exploration into traditional Chinese medicines’ biomechanics in psoriasis and the therapeutic mechanism of CMs by integrative medicine still requires further studies.
- Qin WZ. Studies on treatment of psoriasis with integrative medicine. Chin J Integr Med (Chin) 2002; 8(4):248–255.
- Bonifati C, Ameglio F. Cytokines in psoriasis. Int J Dermatol 1999;38:241–251. CrossRef
- Yuan JS, Zhou LP, Hu CF, et al. Influence on antibody bridging keratinocyte/mononuclear leucocyte adhesion of patients with psoriasis by Chinese herbal medicines. Chin J Dermato Vennerol Integr Tradit West Med (Chin) 2005;4(4):240–241.
- Engin B, Oguz O. Evaluation of time-dependent response to psoralen plus UVA (PUVA) treatment with topical 8-methoxypsoralen (8-MOP) gel in palmoplantar dermatoses. Int J Dermatol 2005;44:337–339. CrossRef
- Wang DY, Zhang R, Liu P, et al. Observation on the efficacy of treatment using compound glycyrrhizin injection on psoriasis vulgaris and eczema dermatitis. J Pract Med (Chin) 2001;21(15):1690–1691.
- Wu SX, Guo NR. Clinical observation on effect of triptolide tablet in treating patients with psoriasis vulgaris. Chin J Integr Med 2005;11(2):147–148.
- Deng AM, Zhong RQ, Chen SX, et al. Lymphocytes in patients with psoriasis promote proliferation of keratinocytes. J Med Coll PLA (Chin) 2002;17(1): 51–53.
- Arican O, Aral M, Sasmaz S, et al. Serum levels of TNF-alpha, IFN-gamma, IL-6, IL-8, IL-12, IL-17, and IL-18 in patients with active psoriasis and correlation with disease severity. Mediators Inflamm 2005; 2005:273–279. CrossRef
- Chen H, Wang SP. Observation on the efficacy of treatment using Fufang Qingdai Jiaonang on psoriasis vulgaris and serum levels of IL-2, IL-8. J Chin Med Materials (Chin) 2004;27(11):885–886.
- Qin XW, Zhen MR, Mu XL, et al. Influence on chemotaxis of polymorhphonuclear leukocytes of patients with psoriasis by Ginkgo biloba extract. J Clin Dermatol 1998;27(6):154.
- Zhang JL, Cheng XR, Yin JZ. Study on apoptosis induced by oxymatrin in cultured keratinocytes. Clin J Derm Vernereol (Chin) 2000;4(6):367.
- Wang H, Sun LY, Deng BS, et al. The effects of shikonin and indirubin on apoptosis of cultured keratinocytes. Clin J Lepr Skin Dis (Chin) 2003;19(4): 336–338.
- Werner S, Smola H. Paracrine regulation of keratinocyte proliferation and differentiation. Trends Cell Biol 2001;11:143–146. CrossRef
- Miura H, Sano S, Higashiyama M, et al. Involvement of insulin-like growth factor-I in psoriasis as a paracrine growth factor: dermal fibroblasts play a regulatory role in developing psoriatic lesions. Arch Dermatol Res 2000;292: 590–597. CrossRef
- Wang YN, Bi XL, Gu J, et al. Study on the mechanism of baicalin in psoriasis treatment. Chin J Dermatovenerol Integr Tradit Med (Chin) 2003; 2(4): 209–211.
- Bi XL, Wang YN, Gu J, et al. Effects of baicalin on expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in cultured fibroblasts. Chin J Dermatovenerol Integr Tradit Med (Chin) 2003;2(3):152–154.
- Jiang WY, Raychaudhuri SP, Farber EM. Double-labeled immunofluorescence study of cutaneous nerves in psoriasis. Int J Dermatol 1998;37:572–574. CrossRef
- He YL, Ding GF, Hou LF, et al. Expression and secretion of calcitonin gene-related peptide in psoriasis plaque lesions. J Clin Dermatol (Chin) 2000;29:195–197.
- Qian F, Yang ZB, Ou YH. The effect of Zhuhuang Granules II on related peptide of calcitonin gene. Hunan Guiding J Tradit Chin Med Pharmacol (Chin) 2004;10(12):54–55, 59.
- Qiu ZQ, Wang XM, Wei XB. Influence of administration of compound Radix Euphorbiae fischerianae injection on cavy’s psoriasis-like animal model. J Chin Clin Med (Chin) 2003;4(10):32–33.
- Song R, Yuan JM, Wang YY. Study on therapeutic effect of compoundd Radix Sophorae flavecentis injection. Chin J Morden Appl Pharm (Chin) 2002;19(3):177–179.
- Jin HL, Yu QB, Gao YX. The study of topical administration of artesunate on mice’s psoriasis-like animal model. Chin J Derm Venereol (Chin) 2004;18(11):651–653.
- Liu MQ. Primary study on growth inhibition of water extracts in different dosage of Radix Arnebiae by vaginal epithelial cells from rat. J Clin Dermatol (Chin) 2003;32(12):714–715.
- Liu XM, Qi X, Song ZQ, et al. Clinical and experimental observation on treatment of psoriasis with Radix Astragli injection. Chin J Dermatol (Chin) 2001;34(2):113–114.
- Liu XM, Sun XK, Qi X, et al. Influence of 20 traditional Chinese herbs fed via gantric tube on mouse epithelial mitosis, epidermal cells differentiation and levels of ET-1. Chin J Dermatol (Chin) 2001;34(4):280–283.
- Xiao QL, Si BH, Wu KZ, et al. Changes of Danshen glucose injection in different dosage on hemorrheology levels of psoriasis. Chin J Dermatol (Chin) 2000;33(6):414–415.
- Li YX, Zhou QY, Wang JX, et al. Effect of Radix Astragli injection combination with vitaminate in acne on nail wall microcirculation. Chin J Derm Venereol (Chin) 1998;12(6):345–346.
- Qiu S, Tan SS, Sun ZP. Clinic study of the efficiency of Huoxue Sanyu Xiaoyin Tang in treating psoriasis of the blood-stasis type. J Chin Med Materials (Chin) 2005;28(5):442–444.
- Xiao QL, Chang KQ, Si BH, et al. Clinic study of the efficiency of different types of YinFuXin in treating vulgar psoriasis. Tianjin J Tradit Chin Med (Chin) 2000;17(2):20–22.
- Zhou L, Cai NN, Tao Y, et al. Effect of Jiedu Sanyu Tang in the treating psoriasis of the blood-stasis type on the levels of serum lipid concentrations and apolipoprotein. China J Tradit Chin Med Pharm (Chin) 2000;16(3):35–36.
- Progress of experimental study on treatment of psoriasis by Chinese medicinal monomer and single or compound recipe in Chinese materia medica
Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 312-316
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Association of Traditional and Western Medicine, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences
- Additional Links
- Chinese herb medicine
- experimental studies
- Industry Sectors