Modelling and remote control of an excavator
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents the results of an on-going project and investigates modelling and remote control issues of an industry excavator. The details of modelling, communication, and control of a remotely controllable excavator are studied. The paper mainly focuses on trajectory tracking control of the excavator base and robust control of the excavator arm. These will provide the fundamental base for our next research step. In addition, extensive simulation results for trajectory tracking of the excavator base and robust control of the excavator arm are given. Finally, conclusions and further work have been identified.
- H. Yu, Y. Liu, M. S. Hasan. Review of modelling and remote control for excavators. International Journal of Advanced Mechatronic Systems, vol. 2, no. 1–2, pp. 68–80, 2009.
- A. J. Koivo. Kinematics of excavators (backhoes) for transferring surface material. Journal of Aerospace Engineering, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 17–32, 1994. CrossRef
- P. K. Vähä, M. J. Skibniewski. Dynamic model of excavator. Journal of Aerospace Engineering, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 148–158, 1993. CrossRef
- A. J. Koivo, M. Thoma, E. Kocaoglan, J. Andrade-Cetto. Modelling and control of excavator dynamics during digging operation. Journal of Aerospace Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 10–18, 1996. CrossRef
- S. Tafazoli, P. D. Lawrence, S. E. Salcudean. Identification of inertial and friction parameters for excavator arms. IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 966–971, 1999. CrossRef
- Y. H. Zweiri. Identification schemes for unmanned excavator arm parameters. International Journal Automation and Computing, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 185–192, 2008. CrossRef
- C. P. Tan, Y. H. Zweiri, K. Althoefer, L. D. Seneviratne. Online soil parameter estimation scheme based on Newton-Raphson method for autonomous excavation. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 221–229, 2005. CrossRef
- S. Tafazoli, S. E. Salcudean, K. Hashtrudi-Zaad, P. D. Lawrence. Impedance control of a teleoperated excavator. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 355–367, 2002. CrossRef
- Z. Lu, A. A. Goldenberg. Robust impedance control and force regulation: Theory and experiment. The International Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 225–254, 1995. CrossRef
- Q. P. Ha, Q. H. Nguyen, D. C. Rye, H. F. Durrant-Whyte. Impedance control of a hydraulically-actuated robotic excavator. Automation in Construction, vol. 9, no. 5–6, pp. 421–435, 2000. CrossRef
- L. E. Bernold. Motion and path control for robotic excavation. Journal of Aerospace Engineering, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 1993. CrossRef
- S. Singh. Synthesis of Tactical Plans for Robotic Excavation, Ph.D. dissertation, The Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 1995.
- P. Saeedi, P. D. Lawrence, D. G. Lowe, P. Jacobsen, D. Kusalovic, K. Ardron, P. H. Sorensen. An autonomous excavator with vision-based track-slippage control. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 67–84, 2005. CrossRef
- N. R. Parker, S. E. Salcudean, P. D. Lawrence. Application of force feedback to heavy duty hydraulic machines. In Proceedings of IEEE Robotics and Automation Conference, IEEE, Atlanta, USA, vol. 1, pp. 375–381, 1993.
- D. Kim, K. W. Oh, D. Hong, J. H. Park, S. H. Hong. Remote control of excavator with designed haptic device. In Proceedings of International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, IEEE, Seoul, Korea, pp. 1830–1834, 2008.
- S. P. Dimaio, S. E. Salcudean, C. Reboulet, S. Tafazoli, K. H. Zaad. A virtual excavator for controller development and evaluation. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, IEEE, vol. 1, pp. 52–58, 1998.
- T. Ni, D. X. Zhao, H. Yamada, S. Ni. A low-cost solution for excavator simulation with realistic visual effect. In Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, IEEE, pp. 889–894, 2008.
- Y. Sakaida, D. Chugo, H. Yamamoto, H. Asama. The analysis of excavator operation by skillful operator — Extraction of common skills. In Proceedings of SICE Annual Conference, IEEE, Japan, pp. 538–542, 2008. CrossRef
- J. Velagic, B. Lacevic, N. Osmic. Nonlinear motion control of mobile robot dynamic model, Mobile Robots Motion Planning, New Challenges, I-Tech., Vienna, pp. 531–552, 2008.
- B. Lacevic, J. Velagic, B. Perunicic. Reduction of control torques of mobile robot using hybrid nonlinear position controller. In Proceedings of International Conference on Computer as a Tool, IEEE, Serbia & Montenegro, Belgrade, Sylvie, vol. 1, pp. 314–317, 2005. CrossRef
- H. Yu. Robust combined adaptive and variable structure adaptive control of robot manipulators. Robotica, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 623–650, 1998. CrossRef
- T. V. Alekseeva, K. A. Artem’ev, A. A. Bromberg, R. L. Voitsekhovskii, N. A. Ul’yanov. Machines for Earthmoving Work: Theory and Calculations, 1986.
- M. S. Hasan, H. Yu, A. Carrington, T. C. Yang. Cosimulation of wireless networked control systems over mobile ad hoc network using SIMULINK and OPNET. IET Communications, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 1297–1310, 2009. CrossRef
- M. S. Hasan, H. Yu, A. Griffiths, T. C. Yang. Interactive co-simulation of MATLAB and OPNET for Networked Control Systems. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Automation and Computing, Stafford, UK, pp. 237–242, 2007.
- K. Fall, K. Varadhan. The ns Manual (formerly ns Notes and Documentation), The VINT project, [Online], Available: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/doc/ns_doc.pdf, May 9, 2010.
- S. Y. Han, N. B. Abu-Ghazaleh. On the Effect of Fading on Ad-hoc Networks, [Online], Available: http://arxiv.org/PScache/cs/pdf/0504/0504002v1.pdf, April 1, 2005.
- C. E. Perkins. Ad Hoc Networking, Boston, USA: Addison-Wesley, 2001.
- D. B. Johnson, D. A. Maltz, J. Broch. Ad Hoc Networking, Boston, USA: Addison-Wesley, 2001.
- F. De Pellegrini, D. Miorandi, S. Vitturi, A. Zanella. On the use of wireless networks at low level of factory automation systems. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 129–143, 2006. CrossRef
- Lucent Technologies Inc. ORiNOCO PC Card, Home, Office, and Public Mobile Broadband Internet Access, [Online], Available: http://www.a1datacom.com/pdf/wavelan_PC.pdf, July 2009.
- M. Conti, S. Giordano. Multihop ad hoc networking: The theory. IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 76–86, 2007.
- K. Goldberg, S. Gentner, C. Sutter, J. Wiegley. The mercury project: A feasibility study for internet robots. IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2000. CrossRef
- P. X. Liu, M. Meng, X. Ye, J. Gu. An UDP-based protocol for internet robots. In Proceedings of the 4th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, IEEE, PRC, vol. 1, pp. 59–65, 2002. CrossRef
- N. J. Ploplys, P. A. Kawka, A. G. Alleyne. Closed-loop control over wireless networks. IEEE Control Systems Magazine, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 58–71, 2004. CrossRef
- J. Liu, Y. Yuan, D. M. Nicol, R. S. Gray, C. C. Newport, D. Kotz, L. F. Perrone. Simulation validation using direct execution of wireless ad-hoc routing protocols. In Proceedings of the 18th Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Simulation, ACM, Kufstein, Austria, pp. 7–16, 2004. CrossRef
- C. Newport. Simulating Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: A Quantitative Evaluation of Common MANET Simulation Models, Technical Report TR2004-504, Dartmouth College, USA, [Online], Available: http://cmc.cs.dartmouth.edu/cmc/papers/newport:thesis.pdf, 2004.
- W. Zhang, M. S. Branicky, S. M. Phillips. Stability of networked control systems. IEEE Control Systems Magazine, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 84–99, 2001. CrossRef
- J. Colandairaj, G. W. Irwin, W. G. Scanlon. An integrated approach to wireless feedback control. In Proceedings of UKACC International Control Conference, Glasgow, UK, 2006.
- N. J. Ploplys. Wireless Feedback Control of Mechanical Systems, M. Sc. dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois, Champaign, USA, 2003.
- S. Zampieri. Trends in networked control systems. In Proceedings of the 17th International Federation of Automatic Control World Congress, Seoul, Korea, pp. 2886–2894, 2008.
- J. Nilsson. Real-time Control Systems with Delays, Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Automatic Control, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden, [Online], Available: http://www.control.lth.se/documents/1998/nilj98dis.pdf, 1998.
- D. Henriksson. Flexible Scheduling Methods and Tools for Real Time Control Systems, Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Automatic Control, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden, [Online], Available: http://www.control.lth.se/documents/2003/hen03.pdf, 2003.
- Modelling and remote control of an excavator
International Journal of Automation and Computing
Volume 7, Issue 3 , pp 349-358
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Additional Links
- remote control
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Technology, Staffordshire University, Stafford, ST18 0AD, UK
- 2. Centre for Applied Dynamics Research, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, AB24 3UE, UK