Numerical and experimental investigation on aerodynamic performance of small axial flow fan with hollow blade root
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To reduce the influence of adverse flow conditions at the fan hub and improve fan aerodynamic performance, a modification of conventional axial fan blades with numerical and experimental investigation is presented. Hollow blade root is manufactured near the hub. The numerical and experimental results show that hollow blade root has some effect on the static performance. Static pressure of the modified fan is generally the same with that of the datum fan, while, the efficiency curve of the modified fan has a different trend with that of the datum fan. The highest efficiency of the modified fan is 10% greater than that of the datum fan. The orthogonal experimental results of fan noise show that hollow blade root is a feasible method of reducing fan noise, and the maximum value of noise reduction is about 2 dB. The factors affecting the noise reduction of hollow blade root are in the order of importance as follows: hollow blade margin, hollow blade height and hollow blade width. The much smoother pressure distribution of the modified fan than that of the datum fan is the main mechanism of noise reduction of hollow blade root. The research results will provide the proof of the parameter optimization and the structure design for high performance and low noise small axial fans.
- Kind R.J., Tobin M.G.: Flow in a Centrifugal Fan of the Squirrel Cage Type, ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol.112, 1990, 84–90. CrossRef
- Norimasa, Shiomi, Yoichi K, et al: Flow Fields with Vor tex in a Small Semi-open Axial Fan, Journal of Thermal Science, vol.18, No.4, 2009, 294–300. CrossRef
- Quinlan D. A., Bent P.H.: High Frequency Noise Generation in Small Axial Flow Fans, Journal of Sound and Vibration, No.02, 1998, 177–204.
- Beiler M.G., Carolus T.H.: Computation and Measurement of the Flow in Axial Flow Fans with Skewed Blades, ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, vol.121, No.01, 1999, 59–66. CrossRef
- Yaras M. J., Sjolander S.A.: Prediction of Tip-Leakage Losses in Axial Turbine, ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, No.03, 1992, 204–210.
- Fukano T., Takamatsu Y.: The Effects of Tip Clearance on the Noise of Low Pressure Axial and Mixed Flow Fans, Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol.105, No.2, 1986, 291–308. CrossRef
- Bianchi S., Corsini A., and Sheard A. G.: Experimental Characterisation of the Far-Field Noise in Axial Fans Fitted with Shaped Tip End-Plates, ISRN Mechanical Engineering, Vol.102, 2012, 01–09. CrossRef
- Tang T., Yang A.L.: Impact of Sweep on the Performance of a Small Axial Flow Fan, Fluid Machinery, vol.36, No.02, 2008, 14–17.
- Ouyang. H., Li Y., Du Z. H., et al.: Experimental Study on Aerodynamic and Aero Acoustic Performance of Low Pressure Axial Flow Fan with Circumferential Skewed Blades, Journal of Aerospace Power, vol.21, No.04, 2006, 668–674.
- Jin G.Y., Ouyang. H., et al.: Research of Aerodynamic Noise Source in Tip Region of Axial Fans with Circumferential Skewed Blades at Off-Design Conditions, Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University, vol.45, No.06, 2011, 345–349.
- Garg V.K.: Heat Transfer Research on Gas Turbine Airfoils at NASA GRC, Journal of Heat Fluid Flow, vol.23, 2002, 109–136. CrossRef
- Sutliff D.L., Tweedt D.L., and Fite B.E.: Low Speed Fan Noise Reduction with Trailing Edge Blowing, Glenn Research Center, Cleverland, Ohio, 2002.
- Woodward R.P., Fite E.B., and Podboy G.G.: Noise Benefits of Rotor Trailing Edge Blowing for a Model Turbofan, Glenn Research Center, Cleverland, Ohio, 2007.
- Cui G.X., Xu C.X., Zhang Z.S.: Progress in Large Eddy Simulation of Turbulent Flows, Acta Aerodynamica Sinica, vol.22, 2008, 121–129.
- Chen Q.G., Li L.J., Wang W.B., et al: Large Eddy Simulation of the Discrete Noise in an Axial-flow Fan, Fluid Machinery, vol.38, 2010, 18–22.
- ISO 10302: Acoustics-method for Measurement of Airborne Noise Emitted by Small Air-moving Devices. International Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2005.
- Numerical and experimental investigation on aerodynamic performance of small axial flow fan with hollow blade root
Journal of Thermal Science
Volume 22, Issue 5 , pp 424-432
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- small axial flow fan
- hollow blade root
- noise reduction
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Mechanical Engineering & Automation, Zhejiang Sci-Tech University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
- 2. Department of Application & Engineering, Zhejiang Economic & Trade Polytechnical, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China