Damped oscillation of liquid column in vertical U-tube for Newtonian and non-Newtonian liquids
- Akira OgawaAffiliated with Email author
- , Suguru TokiwaAffiliated withAsnohorie Co. Ltd.
- , Masatoshi MutouAffiliated withYamada manufacturing Co. Ltd.
- , Kazutaka MogiAffiliated withPolymatech Co. Ltd.
- , Tonau SugawaraAffiliated withFujikura Rubber Com.
- , Masahide WatanabeAffiliated withFurukawa Electric Co.Ltd.
- , Kouhei SatouAffiliated withGMA Co. Ltd.
- , Toshikazu KikawadaAffiliated withTop Corporation Co.Ltd.
- , Keitarou ShishidoAffiliated withHitachi Unisia Co.Ltd.
- and 1 more
- , Naoya MatumotoAffiliated withResearch Student
- Show less
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Damped oscillation of Newtonian liquid in a vertical U-tube is one of the well known phenomena and the solution of this liquid motion for the laminar flow regime in the circular pipe was solved, however, generally speaking, even if the period of the oscillational motion by this solution is nearly coincided with that of the experimental result, the estimation of the damped oscillational process with lapse of time by the solved equation is not in agreement with that of the experimental result. Therefore basing upon the experimental results of the velocity distributions of the oscillational motion in the circular U-tube for the Newtonian and non-Newtonian liquids, the velocity distribution of the Bingham plastic flow is assumed. The solutions of the damped oscillation and also of the vertical falling and rising velocities of the free surface in the vertical U-tube of the diameters D=10mm, 20mm and 40mm are compared with water and water-glycerine solution for the Newtonian liquids and the acrylic co-polymer solutions for the non-Newtonian liquid. The comparisons of these solved equations by the new flow model are shown in good agreement with the experimental results. The above stated results are described in detail.
KeywordsDamped oscillation Bingham plastic flow Hagen-Poiseuille law Newtonian liquid non-Newtonian liquid
- Damped oscillation of liquid column in vertical U-tube for Newtonian and non-Newtonian liquids
Journal of Thermal Science
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 289-300
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- Damped oscillation
- Bingham plastic flow
- Hagen-Poiseuille law
- Newtonian liquid
- non-Newtonian liquid
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. T110-0011. Minowa 2-14-7, Taitou-Ku, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Asnohorie Co. Ltd., Japan
- 3. Yamada manufacturing Co. Ltd., Japan
- 4. Polymatech Co. Ltd., Japan
- 5. Fujikura Rubber Com., Japan
- 6. Furukawa Electric Co.Ltd., Japan
- 7. GMA Co. Ltd., Japan
- 8. Top Corporation Co.Ltd., Japan
- 9. Hitachi Unisia Co.Ltd., Japan
- 10. Research Student, Japan