Establishment and characterization of two fetal fibroblast cell lines from the yak
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The objective of this work was to not only establish two fetal fibroblast cell lines from yak lung and ear tissue using a primary explant technique and cell cryogenic preservation technology but also check for their quality and biological characteristics. The cells showed typical morphologic characteristics of fibrous and long spindle appearance. Outgrowth of fibroblast-like cells from the lung and ear explants was around 2 and 3 d, and reaching 90% confluence level was in the ninth day and the thirteenth day, respectively. Biological analysis showed that the average viability of the lung fibroblast cells (ear fibroblast cells) was 97.5% (95.0%) before freezing and 91.0% (89.5%) after thawing. Analysis of the growth of the fifth passage culture revealed an “S”-shaped growth curve with the population doubling times of 30 h for lung fibroblast cell line and 35 h for ear fibroblast cell line. Karyotyping indicated the chromosome number of yak was 2n = 60, comprising 29 pairs of autosomes and one pair of sex chromosomes (XY). All somatic chromosomes were telocentric autosomes except that the two sex chromosomes were submetacentric. Assays for bacteria, fungi, and mycoplasmas were negative. Immunocytochemical staining showed that the cells were positive for the expression of vimentin and negative for the expression of cytokeratin. In conclusion, two yak fetal fibroblast cell lines (YFLF and YFEF) from lung and ear explants are successfully established in culture. It will not only preserve the genetic resources of yaks at the cellular level but also provide valuable materials for somatic cell cloning and transgenic research.
- Feng R. F.; Ma Z. R.; Guan W. J.; Li M. S.; Qiao Z. L.; Feng Y. P.; Zhou X. Y. Establishment and characteristics of Tianzhu white yaks kidney explant fibroblast. Acta Veterinaria et Zootechnica Sinica 39: 726–732; 2008.
- Ford C. E.; Pollock D. L.; Gustavsson I. Proceedings of the First International Conference for the Standardisation of Banded Karyotypes of Domestic Animals. Hereditas 92: 145–162; 1980.
- Freshney R. I. Culture of animal cells: a manual of basic techniques. Wiley, INC; 2000.
- Guan W.; He X.; Li L.; Liang H.; Zhao Q.; Pu Y.; Ma Y. H. Establishment and biological characterization of fibroblast cell line from the Langshan chicken. Cell Prolif 43: 157–163; 2010. CrossRef
- Guo S.; Savolainen P.; Su J.; Zhang Q.; Qi D.; Zhou J.; Zhong Y.; Zhao X.; Liu J. Origin of mitochondrial DNA diversity of domestic yaks. BMC Evol Biol 6: 73; 2006. CrossRef
- Hao M. C.; Liu B.; Fan J. F.; Wang M. L.; Chen P.; Gao X. D.; Zhang H.; Yu S. J. Establishment and characterization of a yak mammary myoepithelial cell line (YMM). J Anim Vet Adv 11: 1028–1035; 2012. CrossRef
- Kasinathan P.; Knott J. G.; Moreira P. N.; Burnside A. S.; Jerry D. J.; Robl J. M. Effect of fibroblast donor cell age and cell cycle on development of bovine nuclear transfer embryos in vitro. Biol Reprod 64: 1487–1493; 2001. CrossRef
- Kato Y.; Tani T.; Tsunoda Y. Cloning of calves from various somatic cell types of male and female adult, newborn and fetal cows. J Reprod Fertil 120: 231–237; 2000. CrossRef
- Li L. F.; Guan W. J.; Hua Y.; Bai X. J.; Ma Y. H. Establishment and characterization of a fibroblast cell line from the Mongolian horse. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 45: 311–316; 2009a. CrossRef
- Li L. F.; Yue H.; Ma J.; Guan W. J.; Ma Y. H. Establishment and characterization of a fibroblast line from Simmental cattle. Cryobiology 59: 63–68; 2009b. CrossRef
- Li X. C.; Yue H.; Li C. Y.; He X. H.; Zhao Q. J.; Ma Y. H.; Guan W. J.; Ma J. Z. Establishment and characterization of a fibroblast cell line derived from Jining Black Grey goat for genetic conservation. Small Ruminant Res 87: 17–26; 2009c. CrossRef
- Liu B.; Cui Y.; Yang B.; Fan J.; Zhao Z.; Yu S. Morphometric analysis of yak placentomes during gestation. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293: 1873–1879; 2010. CrossRef
- Liu C.; Guo Y.; Guan W.; Ma Y.; Zhang H. H.; Tang X. Establishment and biological characteristics of Luxi cattle fibroblast bank. Tissue Cell 40: 417–424; 2008. CrossRef
- Liu C. Q.; Guo Y.; Guan W. J.; Ma Y. H. Establishment and characterization of a fibroblast cell line derived from Mongolian sheep. Anim Sci J 82: 215–222; 2011. CrossRef
- Powell A. M.; Talbot N. C.; Wells K. D.; Kerr D. E.; Pursel V. G.; Wall R. J. Cell donor influences success of producing cattle by somatic cell nuclear transfer. Biol Reprod 71: 210–216; 2004. CrossRef
- Singh M.; Sharma A. K. Outgrowth of fibroblast cells from goat skin explants in three different culture media and the establishment of cell lines. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 47: 83–88; 2011. CrossRef
- Suemori H.; Yasuchika K.; Hasegawa K.; Fujioka T.; Tsuneyoshi N.; Nakatsuji N. Efficient establishment of human embryonic stem cell lines and long-term maintenance with stable karyotype by enzymatic bulk passage. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 345: 926–932; 2006. CrossRef
- Sun X.; Wang S.; Zhang Y.; Wang H.; Wang L.; Ying L.; Li R.; Li N. Cell-cycle synchronization of fibroblasts derived from transgenic cloned cattle ear skin: effects of serum starvation, roscovitine and contact inhibition. Zygote 16: 111–116; 2008. CrossRef
- Swaminathan T. R.; Lakra W. S.; Gopalakrishnan A.; Basheer V. S.; Khushwaha B.; Sajeela K. A. Development and characterization of a new epithelial cell line PSF from caudal fin of Green chromide, Etroplus suratensis (Bloch, 1790). In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 46: 647–656; 2010. CrossRef
- Wu H.; Guan W.; Li H.; Ma Y. Establishment and characteristics of white ear lobe chicken embryo fibroblast line and expression of six fluorescent proteins in the cells. Cell Biol Int 32: 1478–1485; 2008. CrossRef
- Yang B.; Yu S.; Cui Y.; He J.; Jin X.; Wang R. Histochemical and ultrastructural observations of respiratory epithelium and gland in yak (Bos grunniens). Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293: 1259–1269; 2010. CrossRef
- Establishment and characterization of two fetal fibroblast cell lines from the yak
In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology - Animal
Volume 48, Issue 10 , pp 619-624
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Fetal fibroblast cell line
- Biological characteristics
- Industry Sectors