Capsule Commentary on Larochelle et al., Reducing Excess Biomarker Testing at an Academic Medical Center
- Sarah Augustine MD
- … show all 1 hide
Larochelle et al.1 test a multimodality intervention to prevent unnecessary use of CK and CK-MB testing and overuse of troponin testing in the diagnosis of cardiac chest pain. The authors modified the electronic medical record cardiac order set, removing the option for CK and CK-MB testing and promoting serial troponin ordering in adherence with established guidelines. In addition, the authors conducted informational sessions related to the above guidelines and distributed pocket cards for information reinforcement. The study, completed as an interrupted times series design, cited an absolute increase of guideline-concordant ordering of cardiac biomarkers of 38.4 % with an associated $1.25 million decrease in charges over the first year.
This paper is an excellent example of how a “forced” intervention of EMR modifications can be combined with a weaker intervention based on educational sessions to create clinically meaningful and sustainable results through the use of quality improvemen ...
- Larochelle, MR, Knight, AM, Pantle, H, Riedel, S, Trost, JC (2014) Reducing excess cardiac biomarker testing at an academic medical center. J Gen Intern Med.
- Gurses, AP, Ozok, AA, Provonost, PJ (2012) Time to accelerate integration of human factors and ergonomics in patient safety. BMJ Qual Saf 21: pp. 347-51 CrossRef
- Shoemaker, TS (2011) Commentary: preparing for healthcare reform: ten recommendations for academic health centers. Acad Med 86: pp. 555-8 CrossRef
- Melnick, ER, Szlezak, CM, Bentley, SK, Dziura, JD, Kotlyar, S, Post, LA (2012) CT overuse for mild traumatic brain injury. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 38: pp. 483-9
- Giannini, EG, Cucchetti, A, Erroi, V, Garuti, F, Odaldi, F, Trevisani, F (2013) Surveillance for early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: how best to do it. World J Gastroenterol 19: pp. 8808-21 CrossRef
- Capsule Commentary on Larochelle et al., Reducing Excess Biomarker Testing at an Academic Medical Center
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 29, Issue 11 , p 1526
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Louis Stokes Cleveland DVAMC and Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, 44106, USA