Physicians as Part of the Solution? Community-Based Participatory Research as a Way to Get Shared Decision Making into Practice
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Although support among policy makers and academics for the wide scale adoption of shared decision making (SDM) is growing, actual implementation is slow, and faces many challenges. Extensive systemic barriers exist that prevent physicians from being able to champion SDM and lead practice change. In other areas of public health where implementation has been a challenge, community-based participatory research (CBPR) has effectively engaged resistant stakeholders to improve practice and the delivery of care. Might CBPR, defined broadly as research that engages participants in the conception, design, and implementation of relevant health programs, be a more effective way to engage physicians, patients, and managers in the implementation process? Consequently, we argue that adopting a participatory approach may help to overcome recognized barriers to progress in this area.
- Barry MJ, Edgman-Levitan S. Shared decision making—the pinnacle of patient-centered care. N Engl J Med. 2012;366(9):780–781. CrossRef
- Oshima Lee E, Emanuel EJ. Shared decision making to improve care and reduce costs. N Engl J Med. 2013;368(1):6–8. CrossRef
- Légaré F, Ratté S, Gravel K, Graham ID. Barriers and facilitators to implementing shared decision-making in clinical practice: Update of a systematic review of health professionals’ perceptions. Patient Educ Couns. 2008;73(3):526–535. CrossRef
- Elwyn G, Grande S, Gittel J, Godfrey M, Vidal D, eds. Are we there yet? Case studies of implementing decision support for patients. Hanover: Trustees of Dartmouth College; 2013:135.
- Elwyn G, Scholl I, Mann M, et al. The implementation of patient decision support interventions into routine clinical practice: A systematic review. BMC Med Inform Decis. 2013;In Press.
- Légaré F, Witteman HO. Shared decision making: Examining key elements and barriers to adoption into routine clinical practice. Health Affair. 2013;32(2):276–84. CrossRef
- Collins ED, Moore CP, Clay KF, et al. Can women with early-stage breast cancer make an informed decision for mastectomy? J Clin Oncol. 2008;27(4):519–25. CrossRef
- Arterburn D, Wellman R, Westbrook E, et al. Introducing decision aids at Group Health was linked to sharply lower hip and knee surgery rates and costs. Health Affair. 2012;31(9):2094–2104. CrossRef
- Frosch DL, May SG, Rendle KA, Tietbohl C, Elwyn G. Authoritarian physicians and patients’ fear of being labeled “difficult” among key obstacles to shared decision making. Health Affair. 2012;31(5):1030–8. CrossRef
- Faridi Z, Grunbaum JA, Gray BS, Franks A, Simoes E. Community-based participatory research: Necessary next steps. Prev Chronic Dis. 2007;4(3):A70.
- Cook WK. Integrating research and action: A systematic review of community-based participatory research to address health disparities in environmental and occupational health in the USA. J Epidemio Commun H. 2008;62(8):668–76.
- Israel BA, Coombe CM, Cheezum RR, et al. Community-based participatory research: A capacity-building approach for policy advocacy aimed at eliminating health disparities. Am J Public Health. 2010;100(11):2094–102.
- Minkler M, Blackwell AG, Thompson M, Tamir H. Community-based participatory research: Implications for public health funding. Am J Public Health. 2003;93(8):1210–3.
- Minkler M, Thompson M, Bell J, Rose K. Contributions of community involvement to organizational-level empowerment: The federal healthy start experience. Health Educ Behav. 2001;28(6):783–807.
- Elwyn G, Llyod A, Joseph-Williams N. Option Grids: Shared decision making made easier. Patient Educ Couns. 2013;90(2):207–212.
- Montori VM, Breslin M, Maleska M, Weymiller AJ. Creating a conversation: Insights from the development of a decision aid. PLoS Med. 2007;4(8):e233.
- Caldon LJM, Collins KA, Reed MW, et al. Clinicians’ concerns about decision support interventions for patients facing breast cancer surgery options: Understanding the challenge of implementing shared decision-making. Health Expect. 2011;14(2):133–46.
- Grimshaw JM, Eccles MP, Walker AE, Thomas RE. Changing physicians’ behavior: What works and thoughts on getting more things to work. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2002;22(4):237–43.
- Parker EA, Israel BA, Robins TG, et al. Evaluation of Community Action Against Asthma: A community health worker intervention to improve children’s asthma-related health by reducing household environmental triggers for asthma. Health Educ Behav. 2008;35(3):376–95.
- Jones L, Wells K. Strategies for academic and clinician engagement in community-participatory partnered research. J Am Med Assoc. 2007;297(4):407–10. CrossRef
- Sandoval JA, Lucero J, Oetzel J, et al. Process and outcome constructs for evaluating community-based participatory research projects: A matrix of existing measures. Health Educ Res. 2011;27(4):680–90.
- Seifer SD, Blanchard LW, Jordan C, Gelmon S, McGinley P. Faculty for the engaged campus: Advancing community-engaged careers in the academy. J High Educ Outreach Engagem. 2012;16(1):5–20.
- McLaughlin K, Manns B, Mortis G, Hons R, Taub K. Why patients with ESRD do not select self-care dialysis as a treatment option. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003;41(2):380–5. CrossRef
- Grol R, Wensing M. What drives change? Barriers to and incentives for achieving evidence-based practice. Med J Aust. 2004;180(6 Suppl):S57–60.
- Wallerstein N, Duran B. Community-based participatory research contributions to intervention research: The intersection of science and practice to improve health equity. Am J Public Health. 2010;100(Suppl):S40–6. CrossRef
- Israel BA, Schulz AJ, Parker EA, Becker AB. Review of community-based research: Assessing partnership approaches to improve public health. Annu Rev Public Health. 1998;19:173–202.
- Physicians as Part of the Solution? Community-Based Participatory Research as a Way to Get Shared Decision Making into Practice
Journal of General Internal Medicine
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- shared decision making
- community-based participatory research
- patient engagement
- clinical practice
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science, Dartmouth College, 37 Dewey Field Road, Hanover, NH, 03755, USA
- 2. Department of Psychology, University of Hertfordshire, College Lane Campus, Hatfield, AL10 9AB, UK
- 3. The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth College, 35 Centerra Pkwy, Lebanon, NH, USA
- 4. The Cochrane Institute for Primary Care and Public Health, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK