Date: 26 Apr 2013
Interval Examination: Moving Toward Open Notes
- Weed, LL (1968) Medical records that guide and teach. N Engl J Med 278: pp. 652-7 CrossRef
- Slack WV. Patient Power: A patient-oriented value system. In: Jacquez JA, ed. Computer Diagnosis and Diagnostic Methods. Proceedings of the Second Conference on the Diagnostic Process health at the University of Michigan. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas, 1972:3–7.
- Shenkin, BN, Warner, DC (1973) Giving the patient his medical record: a proposal to improve the system. N Engl J Med 289: pp. 688-92 CrossRef
- Greenfield S, Kaplan S, Ware JE Jr. Expanding patient involvement in care. Effects on patient outcomes. Ann Intern Med. 1985;102(4):520–8.
- Holman, H, Lorig, K (1987) Patient education in the rheumatic diseases–pros and cons. Bull Rheum Dis 37: pp. 1-8
- Lorig, K, Holman, HR (1989) Long-term outcomes of an arthritis self-management study: effects of reinforcement efforts. Soc Sci Med 29: pp. 221-4 CrossRef
- Delbanco, TL (1992) Enriching the doctor-patient relationship by inviting the patient’s perspective. Ann Intern Med 116: pp. 414-8 CrossRef
- Gerteis, M, Edgman-Levitan, S, Daley, J, Delbanco, T eds. (1993) Through the Patient’s Eyes: Understanding and Promoting Patient-Centered Care. Jossey-Bass Publishers, San Francisco
- Coulter A. Do patients want a choice and does it work? BMJ. 2010;341.
- Cooper, L, Roter, D, Carson, K (2011) A randomized trial to improve patient-centered care and hypertension control in underserved primary care patients. J Gen Intern Med 26: pp. 1297-304 CrossRef
- Roter, DL, Larson, S, Sands, DZ, Ford, DE, Houston, T (2008) Can E-mail messages between patients and physicians be patient-centered?. Health Commun 23: pp. 80-6 CrossRef
- Cooper, LA, Roter, DL, Johnson, RL, Ford, DE, Steinwachs, DM, Powe, NR (2003) Patient-centered communication, ratings of care, and concordance of patient and physician race. Ann Intern Med 139: pp. 907-15 CrossRef
- Department of Health and Human Services. Standards for privacy of individually identifable health information. Billing Code 4150-04 M (45 CFR Parts 160–164) ed: Federal Register. 2000; 82461–829.
- Ross, SE, Moore, LA, Earnest, MA, Wittevrongel, L, Lin, CT (2004) Providing a web-based online medical record with electronic communication capabilities to patients with congestive heart failure: randomized trial. J Med Internet Res 6: pp. e12 CrossRef
- Earnest, MA, Ross, SE, Wittevrongel, L, Moore, LA, Lin, CT (2004) Use of a patient-accessible electronic medical record in a practice for congestive heart failure: patient and physician experiences. J Am Med Inform Assoc 11: pp. 410-7 CrossRef
- Ralston, JD, Revere, D, Robins, LS, Goldberg, HI (2004) Patients’ experience with a diabetes support programme based on an interactive electronic medical record: qualitative study. BMJ 328: pp. 1159 CrossRef
- Delbanco, T, Walker, J, Darer, JD (2010) Open notes: doctors and patients signing on. Ann Intern Med 153: pp. 121-5 CrossRef
- Walker, J, Leveille, SG, Ngo, L (2011) Inviting patients to read their doctors’ notes: patients and doctors look ahead: patient and physician surveys. Ann Intern Med 155: pp. 811-9 CrossRef
- Delbanco, T, Walker, J, Bell, SK (2012) Inviting patients to read their doctors’ notes: a quasi-experimental study and a look ahead. Ann Intern Med 157: pp. 461-70 CrossRef
- Leveille, SG, Walker, J, Ralston, JD, Ross, SE, Elmore, JG, Delbanco, T (2012) Evaluating the impact of patients’ online access to doctors’ visit notes: designing and executing the OpenNotes project. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 12: pp. 32 CrossRef
- Maeng, DD, Graham, J, Graf, TR (2012) Reducing long-term cost by transforming primary care: evidence from Geisinger’s medical home model. Am J Manag Care 18: pp. 149-55
- Paulus RA, Davis K, Steele GD. Continuous innovation in health care: implications of the Geisinger experience. Health Aff (Millwood). 2008;27(5):1235–45.
- Steele GD, Haynes JA, Davis DE, et al. How Geisinger’s advanced medical home model argues the case for rapid-cycle innovation. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010;29(11):2047–53.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. OpenNotes: health care leaders speak out. 4 mins 56 s. Available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2idRPIkHL8c.
- HealthIT.gov. Step 5: achieve meaningful use [cited 2012 December 26]; Available at http://www.healthit.gov/providers-professionals/ehr-implementation-steps/step-5-achieve-meaningful-use.
- Johnson, AJ, Easterling, D, Nelson, R, Chen, MY, Frankel, RM (2012) Access to radiologic reports via a patient portal: clinical simulations to investigate patient preferences. J Am Coll Radio 9: pp. 256-63 CrossRef
- Rodriguez, E, Thom, B, Schneider, S (2011) Nurse and physician perspectives on patients with cancer having online access to their laboratory results. Oncol Nurs Forum 38: pp. 476-82 CrossRef
- Interval Examination: Moving Toward Open Notes
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 28, Issue 7 , pp 965-969
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- patient engagement
- health care administration
- health information technology
- electronic medical records
- Industry Sectors