Capsule Commentary on Waldura et al., Teleconsultation Improves Primary Care Clinicians’ Confidence about Caring for HIV
- Oni Blackstock MD, MS
- … show all 1 hide
The study by Waldura et al. used an electronic survey to examine primary care clinicians’ self-perceived confidence and self-reported clinical practice patterns after using the University of San Francisco-based National Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Telephone Consultative Service (HIV Warmline).1 The HIV Warmline provides clinicians with no-cost, real-time telephone consultations with experts in HIV medicine. Over the two-year study period, the authors found that among the primary care clinicians (physicians and mid-level practitioners), most reported the HIV Warmline to be quicker, more applicable to their clinical management issues, and more trustworthy as compared with other HIV information sources. The majority reported that using the teleconsultation service increased their confidence in managing HIV patients, changed their HIV management, and decreased the likelihood of referral to an HIV specialist.
This study provides an initial assessment of the potential clinical impact o ...
- Waldura JF, Neff S, Dehlendorf C, Goldschmidt R. Teleconsultation improves primary care clinicians’ confidence about caring for HIV. J Gen Int Med. 2013. doi:10.1007/s11606-013-2332-5.
- Egan JE, Casadonte P, Gartenmann T, et al. The Physician Clinical Support System-Buprenorphine (PCSS-B): a novel project to expand/improve buprenorphine treatment. J Gen Intern Med. 2010;25(9):936–941. CrossRef
- Fricton J, Chen H. Using teledentistry to improve access to dental care for the underserved. Dent Clin North Am. 2009;53(3):537–548. CrossRef
- Arora S, Thornton K, Murata G, et al. Outcomes of treatment for hepatitis C virus infection by primary care providers. N Engl J Med. 2011;364(23):2199–2207. CrossRef
- Institute of Medicine. HIV Screening and Access to Care: Health Care and System Capacity for Increased HIV Testing and Provision of Care. Available at: http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2011/HIV-Screening-and-Access-to-Care-Health-Care-System-Capacity-for-Increased-HIV-Testing-and-Provision-of-Care.aspx. Accessed on: December 26, 2012.
- Capsule Commentary on Waldura et al., Teleconsultation Improves Primary Care Clinicians’ Confidence about Caring for HIV
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 28, Issue 6 , p 836
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, 10026, USA