All in a Day’s Work: Establishing Rapport, Making Decisions, Reducing Disparities
- Mitchell D. Feldman MD, MPhil
- … show all 1 hide
Sandy (not his real name) cuts my hair. He and I usually talk about politics and sports. Last week, something else was on his mind—his disappointment with his recent visit to new primary care doctor. As a small business owner, Sandy had finally decided he could afford to pay for health insurance that would cover preventive care and allow him to go for a check-up for the first time in about 10 years. Sandy smokes, and has done so on and off since he was 17 years old. He is 35 years old now and otherwise in pretty good health. He has quit for varying lengths of time in the past, but always goes back to smoking when he confronts another stressful period in his life. He had not made this appointment because he wanted to quit smoking; in fact, he had made it for the same reason that prompts many men to schedule a check up with their doctor. His girlfriend convinced him to do so.
It seems that his well-intentioned internist had an agenda for the appointment. She correctly advised Sandy that t
- Reiss H, Kelley JM, Bailey RW, Dunn EJ, Phillips M. Empathy training for resident physicians: a randomized controlled trial of a neuroscience-informed curriculum. J Gen Intern Med. 2012. doi:10.1007/s11606-012-2063-z.
- Spiro H. What is empathy and can it be taught? Ann Intern Med. 1992;116:843–846.
- Elwyn G, Frosch D, Thomson R, Joseph-Williams N, Lloyd A, Kinnersley P. Shared decision making: a model for clinical practice. J Gen Intern Med. 2012. doi:10.1007/s11606-012-2077-6.
- Ng DK, Brotman DJ, Lau B, Young JH. Insurance status, not race, is associated with mortality after an acute cardiovascular event in Maryland. J Gen Intern Med. 2012. doi:10.1007/s11606-012-2147.
- All in a Day’s Work: Establishing Rapport, Making Decisions, Reducing Disparities
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 27, Issue 10 , pp 1231-1232
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 1545 Divisadero, San Francisco, CA, 94143-0320, USA