- Andrae Vandross MD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Once while rotating on the vascular service, I called to return a page.
“Hi, this is Andrae, returning a page for Vascular Surgery.”
“Oh. Hi. Wait, are you Vascular?”
“No, my name is Andrae. I’m rotating on Vascular. Whom am I speaking with please?”
“Oh, I’m just covering for the nurse. Listen, are you taking care of 1312?”
“You mean, Mr. Ramirez, our post-op patient in 1312, who underwent a fem-pop bypass yesterday? Yes, I am taking care of him. Wait, is this James?”
“Oh, no, it’s not James. Hey, I’m glad I found you. Listen, Respiratory has a question for you.”
Call me old-fashioned, but what happened to using names? Some of our parents have spent a considerable amount of time coming up with them. In the hospital, it sometimes seems that weeks pass without using them. Many trainees know the following conversation. On rounds, the attending suggests calling a subspecialty consult:
“Do you think we should call Pulm?”
“I dunno, maybe. If we do call, should we call Pulm or Rhe ...
- The Holy Bible King James Translation. Nashville: Holman Bible Publishers; 1985.
- Grimm J, Grimm W. Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19068/19068-h/19068-h.htm Accessed May, 15 2012.
- ABIM Foundation Physician Charter. http://www.abimfoundation.org/Professionalism/Physician-Charter/Principles-of-the-Charter.aspx Accessed May 15, 2012.
- Goldberg J. Humanism or professionalim? The white coat ceremony and medical education. Acad Med. 2008;83:715–722. CrossRef
- Papadakis MA, Loeser H, Healy K. Early detection and evaluation of professionalism deficiencies in medical students: one school’s approach. Acad Med. 2001;1100–1106.
- Papadakis MA, Teherani A, Banach M, et al. Disciplinary action by medical boards and prior behavior in medical school. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2673–82. CrossRef
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 162-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Yale University, Internal Medicine Residency Program PGY1, 789 Howard Avenue, PCC-Tompkins Basement, New Haven, CT, 06519, USA