The Massachusetts Journey to Expand Health Insurance Coverage
- John Z. Ayanian MD, MPP
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Long SK. On the road to universal coverage: impacts of reform in Massachusetts at one year. Health Aff (Millwood). 2008;27:w270–84. CrossRef
- Lischko AM, Bachman SS, Vangeli A. The Massachusetts Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector: structure and functions. Issue Brief (Commonwealth Fund). 2009;55:1–14.
- Butler SM. Assuring affordable health care for all Americans – Heritage Lectures 218. Washington, DC: The Heritage Foundation; 1989:6.
- US Census Bureau. HIB-6. Health insurance status and type of coverage by state – persons under 65: 1999 to 2010. (Accessed November 10, 2011, at www.census.gov/hhes/www/hlthins/data/historical/HIB_tables.html.)
- Harvard School of Public Health/Boston Globe. Massachusetts Health Reform Law 2011, May 24–26, 2011. (Accessed November 10, 2011, at www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/2011-releases/massachusetts-health-reform-poll-2011.html.)
- Doonan MT, Tull KR. Health care reform in Massachusetts: implementation of coverage expansions and a health insurance mandate. Milbank Q. 2010;88:54–80. CrossRef
- Patel K, McDonough J. From Massachusetts to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue: aboard the health reform express. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010;29:1106–11. CrossRef
- Chandra A, Gruber J, McKnight R. The importance of the individual mandate–evidence from Massachusetts. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:293–5. CrossRef
- Nardin R, Sayah A, Lokko H, Woolhandler S, McCormick D. Reasons why patients remain uninsured after Massachusetts' health care reform: a survey of patients at a safety-net hospital. J Gen Intern Med 2011 doi:10.1007/s11606-011-1868-5
- Ayanian JZ, Kohler BA, Abe T, Epstein AM. The relation between health insurance coverage and clinical outcomes among women with breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 1993;329:326–31. CrossRef
- Ayanian JZ, Weissman JS, Schneider EC, Ginsburg JA, Zaslavsky AM. Unmet health needs of uninsured adults in the United States. JAMA. 2000;284:2061–9. CrossRef
- Institute of Medicine. Care Without Coverage: Too Little, Too Late. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2002.
- Institute of Medicine. Health Insurance Is a Family Matter. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2002.
- Institute of Medicine. Hidden Costs, Value Lost: Uninsurance in America. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2003.
- Levy H, Meltzer D. The impact of health insurance on health. Annu Rev Public Health. 2008;29:399–409. CrossRef
- Institute of Medicine. America's Uninsured Crisis: Consequences for Health and Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2009.
- McWilliams JM. Health consequences of uninsurance among adults in the United States: recent evidence and implications. Milbank Q. 2009;87:443–94. CrossRef
- McWilliams JM, Meara E, Zaslavsky AM, Ayanian JZ. Health of previously uninsured adults after acquiring Medicare coverage. JAMA. 2007;298:2886–94. CrossRef
- Baicker K, Finkelstein A. The effects of Medicaid coverage–learning from the Oregon experiment. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:683–5. CrossRef
- Finkelstein A, Taubman S, Wright B, et al. The Oregon health insurance experiment: evidence from the first year. NBER working paper no. 17190. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research, July 2011.
- The Massachusetts Journey to Expand Health Insurance Coverage
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 139-141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- John Z. Ayanian MD, MPP (1) (2) (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of General Internal Medicine and Primary Care, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
- 2. Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA, 02115, USA
- 3. Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA