Update in Geriatric Medicine
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
With an aging population, internists will provide care to a growing number of older adults, a population at risk of developing multiple chronic medical conditions and geriatric syndromes. For this update in geriatric medicine, we highlight recent key articles focused on preventive strategies and lifestyle changes that reduce the burden of disease and functional decline in older adults.
We identified English-language articles published between March 1, 2010 and March 31, 2011 by review of the contents of major geriatrics/general medicine journals and journal watch services including: New England Journal of Medicine, Annals of Internal Medicine, Journal of the American Medical Association, Lancet, Archives of Internal Medicine, British Medical Journal, Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, and the Journals of Gerontology. We also reviewed updates to the Cochrane database of systematic reviews and articles highlighted by the ACP Journal Club and Journal Watch. Inclusion criteria included (1) randomized controlled trials, (2) conditions exclusive or common to older adults, and (3) commonly seen in generalist practices. After abstract review, each author selected five articles, and these were reviewed again by all authors. Through multiple discussions, consensus was reached on the final articles selected for inclusion based on their quality and potential to improve the health of older patients cared for by generalists.
- Macaladad N, Marcano T, Guzman M, Moya J, Jurado F, Thompson M, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of a zoster vaccine in varicella-zoster virus seronegative and low-seropositive health adults. Vaccine. 2007;25:2139–44. CrossRef
- Oxman MN, Levin MJ, Johnson GR, Schmader KE, Straus SE, Gelb LD, et al. A vaccine to prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia in older adults. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:2271–84. CrossRef
- Lu PJ, Euler GL, Harpaz R. Herpes zoster vaccination among adults aged 60 years and older, in the US, 2008. Am J Prev Med. 2011;40:e1–6. CrossRef
- Hurley LP, Lindley MC, Harpaz R, Stokley S, Daley MF, Crane LA, et al. Barriers to the use of herpes zoster vaccine. Ann Intern Med. 2010;152:555–60.
- Kalyani RR, Stein B, Valiyil R, Manno R, Maynard JW, Crews DC. Vitamin D treatment for the prevention of falls in older adults: systematic reveiw and meta-analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010;58:1299–310. CrossRef
- Avenell A, Gillespie W, Gillespie L, O’Connell D. Vitamin D and vitamin D analogs for preventing fractures associated with involutional and postmenopausal osteoporosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;2:CD000227.
- Izaks G. Fracture prevention with vitamin D supplementation: considering the inconsistent results. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2007;8:26. CrossRef
- Smith H, Anderson F, Raphael H, Maslin P, Crozier S, Cooper C. Effect of annual intramuscular vitamin D on fracture risk in elderly men and women: a population-based, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Rheumatology. 2007;46:1852–1857. CrossRef
- Weuve J, Kang JH, Manson JE, Breteler MM, Ware JH, Grodstein F. Physical activity, including walking, and cognitive function in older women. JAMA. 2004;292:1454–1461. CrossRef
- Han TS, Tajar A, Lean ME. Obesity and weight management in the elderly. Br Med Bull. 2011;97:169–96. CrossRef
- Rolland Y, Lauwers-Cances V, Cristini C. Abellan van Kan G, Janssen I, Morley JE, et al. Difficulties with physical function associated with obesity, sarcopenia, and sarcopenic-obesity in community-dwelling elderly women: the EPIDOS (EPIDemiologie de l'OSteoporose) Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;89:1895–900. CrossRef
- Cruz-Jentoft AJ, Baeyens JP, Bauer JM, Boirie Y, Cederholm T, Landi F, et al. Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: Report of the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People. Age Ageing. 2010;39:412–23. CrossRef
- Jensen GL, Roy MA, Buchanan AE, Berg MB. Weight loss intervention for obese older women: improvements in performance and function. Obes Res. 2004;12:1814–20. CrossRef
- 2011 Alzheimers Disease Facts and Figures. Available at: http://www.alzheimersanddementia.com/article/S1552-5260%2811%2900036-7/abstract. Accessed June 11, 2011.
- Spillman BC, Long SK. Does high caregiver stress predict nursing home entry? Inquiry. 2009;46:140–161. CrossRef
- Lingler JH, Schulz R. Do the benefits of anti-dementia drugs extend to caregivers? Research and Practice in Alzheimers Disease. 2006;11:322–327.
- Gauthier S, Lopez OL, Waldemar G, Jones RW, Cummings J, Zhang R, et al. Effects of donepezil on activities of daily living: integrated analysis of patient data from studies in mild, moderate and severe Alzheimer's disease. Int Psychogeriatr. 2010;22:973–983. CrossRef
- Stutts JC. Do older drivers with visual and cognitive impairments drive less? J Am Geriatr Soc. 46:854–861.
- Safety and the Older Driver with Functional or Medical Impairments: an Overview. Available at: http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/public-health/older-drivers-chapter1.pdf. Accessed June 11, 2011.
- Marottoli RA, de Leon CFM, Glass TA, Williams CS, Cooney LM Jr, Berkman LF. Consequences of driving cessation: decreased out-of-home activity levels. J Gerontol Series B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2000;55:S334–340. CrossRef
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Fatality Facts 2008. Available at: http://www.iihs.org/research/fatality_facts_2008/olderpeople.html. Accessed June 13, 2011.
- Ball KK, Roenker DL, Wadley VG, Edwards JD, Roth DL, McGwin G Jr, et al. Can high-risk older drivers be identified through performance-based measures in a Department of Motor Vehicles setting? J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54:77–84. CrossRef
- Update in Geriatric Medicine
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 27, Issue 3 , pp 371-375
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 5505 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Baltimore, MD, 21224, USA
- 2. Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA