Moving from Evidence-Based Medicine to Evidence-Based Health
While evidence-based medicine (EBM) has advanced medical practice, the health care system has been inconsistent in translating EBM into improvements in health. Disparities in health and health care play out through patients’ limited ability to incorporate the advances of EBM into their daily lives. Assisting patients to self-manage their chronic conditions and paying attention to unhealthy community factors could be added to EBM to create a broader paradigm of evidence-based health. A perspective of evidence-based health may encourage physicians to consider their role in upstream efforts to combat socially patterned chronic disease.
- Eddy DM. Evidence-based medicine: a unified approach. Health Aff (Millwood). 2005;24(1):9–17. CrossRef
- Lee TH. Eulogy for a quality measure. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(12):1175–7. CrossRef
- Saydah SH, Fradkin J, Cowie CC. Poor control of risk factors for vascular disease among adults with previously diagnosed diabetes. JAMA. 2004;291(3):335–42. CrossRef
- Egan BM, Zhao Y, Axon RN. US trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension, 1988-2008. JAMA. 2010;303(20):2043–50. CrossRef
- Bodenheimer T, Wagner EH, Grumbach K. Improving primary care for patients with chronic illness: the chronic care model, Part 2. JAMA. 2002;288(15):1909–14. CrossRef
- Pearson M, Mattke S, Shaw R, Ridgely M, Wiseman S. Patient self-management support programs: an evaluation. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2007.
- Lorig KR, Ritter P, Stewart AL, et al. Chronic disease self-management program: 2-year health status and health care utilization outcomes. Med Care. 2001;39(11):1217–23. CrossRef
- Chen EH, Thom DH, Hessler DM, et al. Using the Teamlet Model to improve chronic care in an academic primary care practice. J Gen Intern Med. 2010;25(Suppl 4):S610–4. CrossRef
- Satcher D, Higginbotham EJ. The public health approach to eliminating disparities in health. Am J Public Health. 2008;98(3):400–3. CrossRef
- Norris SL, Lau J, Smith SJ, Schmid CH, Engelgau MM. Self-management education for adults with type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of the effect on glycemic control. Diabetes Care. 2002;25(7):1159–71. CrossRef
- Ackermann RT, Finch EA, Brizendine E, Zhou H, Marrero DG. Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program into the community. The DEPLOY Pilot Study. Am J Prev Med. Oct. 2008;35(4):357–63. CrossRef
- Amundson HA, Butcher MK, Gohdes D, et al. Translating the diabetes prevention program into practice in the general community: findings from the Montana Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes Prevention Program. Diabetes Educ. 2009;35(2):209–10. CrossRef
- Cramer JS, Sibley RF, Bartlett DP, Kahn LS, Loffredo L. An adaptation of the diabetes prevention program for use with high-risk, minority patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Educ. 2007;33(3):503–8. CrossRef
- Mayer-Davis EJ, D'Antonio AM, Smith SM, et al. Pounds off with empowerment (POWER): a clinical trial of weight management strategies for black and white adults with diabetes who live in medically underserved rural communities. Am J Public Health. 2004;94(10):1736–42. CrossRef
- Flodgren G, Deane K, Dickinson HO, et al. Interventions to change the behaviour of health professionals and the organisation of care to promote weight reduction in overweight and obese people. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;3:CD000984.
- Sallis JF, Glanz K. Physical activity and food environments: solutions to the obesity epidemic. Milbank Q. 2009;87(1):123–54. CrossRef
- Story M, Nanney MS, Schwartz MB. Schools and obesity prevention: creating school environments and policies to promote healthy eating and physical activity. Milbank Q. 2009;87(1):71–100. CrossRef
- Gortmaker SL, Peterson K, Wiecha J, et al. Reducing obesity via a school-based interdisciplinary intervention among youth: Planet Health. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999;153(4):409–18.
- Economos CD, Hyatt RR, Goldberg JP, et al. A community intervention reduces BMI z-score in children: Shape Up Somerville first year results. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007;15(5):1325–36. CrossRef
- Guevara JP, Wolf FM, Grum CM, Clark NM. Effects of educational interventions for self management of asthma in children and adolescents: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2003;326(7402):1308–9. CrossRef
- Wu F, Takaro TK. Childhood asthma and environmental interventions. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115(6):971–5. CrossRef
- Lai DT, Cahill K, Qin Y, Tang JL. Motivational interviewing for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010(1):CD006936.
- Meyers D, Neuberger JS, He J. Cardiovascular Effect of Bans on Smoking in Public Places. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;54(14):1249–55. CrossRef
- Hopkins DP, Razi S, Leeks KD, Priya Kalra G, Chattopadhyay SK, Soler RE. Smokefree policies to reduce tobacco use. A systematic review. Am J Prev Med. 2010;38(2 Supp):S275–89. CrossRef
- Moskowitz JM, Lin Z, Hudes ES. The impact of workplace smoking ordinances in California on smoking cessation. Am J Public Health. 2000;90(5):757–61. CrossRef
- National Institutes of Health. Smoking and Tobacco Control Monograph No. 10: Health effects of exposure to environmental tobacco smoke: The report of the California Environmental Protection Agency: US Department of Health and Human Services. NIH publication no. 99-4645; 1999.
- Geiger HJ. Community-oriented primary care: a path to community development. Am J Public Health. 2002;92(11):1713–6. CrossRef
- Landon BE, Gill JM, Antonelli RC, Rich EC. Prospects for rebuilding primary care using the patient-centered medical home. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010;29(5):827–34. CrossRef
- Schor EL. From medical home to health home. J Gen Intern Med. 2010;25(11):1144. CrossRef
- Moving from Evidence-Based Medicine to Evidence-Based Health
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 26, Issue 6 , pp 658-660
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- chronic disease
- community health
- self-management support
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, CA, USA
- 2. Center for Excellence in Primary Care, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA