Assessment of the Contributions of Clinician Educators
Clinician educators play a vital role at medical schools. The number of clinician educators and the scope of their responsibility have grown at academic medical centers over the last two decades1. Clinician educators provide expert patient care that has become critical to the financial viability of medical centers. Clinician educators also teach and supervise medical students and residents in the inpatient and, increasingly, in the ambulatory setting2.
Despite clinical expertise and enthusiasm and skill for teaching, clinician educators face many challenges in sustaining and growing their academic careers. They experience varying and often unclear criteria by which their qualifications for promotion are judged. Clinical departments lack consistent measures to assess expertise in clinical care and teaching, and frequently default to evaluating clinician educators using criteria designed for researchers2. However, clinician educators typically shoulder large clinical commitments that make ...
- Osborn LM, Sostok M, Castellano PZ, Blount W, Branch WT Jr. Recruiting and retaining clinician-educators. Lessons learned from three programs. J Gen Intern Med. 1997;12(Suppl 2):S83–9. CrossRef
- Levinson W, Rubenstein A. Integrating clinician-educators into academic medical centers: challenges and potential solutions. Acad Med. 2000;75:906–12. CrossRef
- Beckman TJ, Reed DA, Shanafelt TD, West CP. Impact of resident well-being and empathy on assessments of faculty physicians. J Gen Intern Med. XXXXX.
- (www.medicaldeans.org.au/msod.html) Accessed October 12, 2009.
- Hojat M, Paskin DL, Callahan CA, Nasca TJ, Louis DZ, Veloski J, Erdmann JB, Gonnella JS. Components of postgraduate competence: analyses of thirty years of longitudinal data. Med Educ. 2007;41:982–9. CrossRef
- Bellini LM, Baime M, Shea JA. Variation of mood and empathy during internship. JAMA. 2002;287:3143–6. CrossRef
- Crandall SJ, Marion SG. Identifying attitudes towards empathy: an essential feature of professionalism. Acad Med. 2009;84:1174–6. CrossRef
- Wright SM, Carrese JA. Serving as a physician role model for a diverse population of medical learners. Acad Med. 003;78:623-8.
- Atasoylu A, Wright SM, Beasley BW, Cofrancesco J, Macpherson DS, Partridget T, Thomas PA, Bass EB. Promotion criteria for clinician-educators. J Gen Intern Med. 2003;18:711–6. CrossRef
- Newman LR, Lown BA, Jones RN, Johansson A, Schwartzstein RM. Developing a peer assessment of lecturing instrument: lessons learned. Acad Med. 2009;84(8):1104–10. CrossRef
- Schindler N, Winchester DP, Sherman H. Recognizing clinical faculty′s contributions in education. Acad Med. 2002;77(9):940–1. Review. CrossRef
- Stites S, Vansaghi L, Pingleton S, Cox G, Paolo A. Aligning compensation with education: design and implementation of the Educational Value Unit (EVU) system in an academic internal medicine department. Acad Med. 2005;80(12):1100–6. CrossRef
- Fleming VM, Schindler N, Martin GJ, DaRosa DA. Separate and equitable promotion tracks for clinician-educators. JAMA. 2005;294:1101–4. CrossRef
- Wright SM, Kern DE, Kolodner K, Howard DM, Brancati FL. Attributes of excellent attending-physician role models. New Engl J Med. 1998;339:1986–93. CrossRef
- Simpson D, Fincher RM, Hafler JP, Irby DM, Richards BF, Rosenfeld GC, Viggiano TR. Advancing educators and education by defining the components and evidence associated with educational scholarship. Med Educ. 2007;41:1002–9. CrossRef
- Thomas PA, Diener-West M, Canto MI, Martin DR, Post WS, Streiff MB. Results of an academic promotion and career path survey of faculty at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Acad Med. 2004;79:258–64. CrossRef
- Irby DM, Cooke M, Lowenstein D, Richards B. The academy movement: a structural approach to reinvigorating the educational mission. Acad Med. 2004;79:729–36. CrossRef
- Assessment of the Contributions of Clinician Educators
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 5-6
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors