Assessment of the Contributions of Clinician Educators
Clinician educators play a vital role at medical schools. The number of clinician educators and the scope of their responsibility have grown at academic medical centers over the last two decades1. Clinician educators provide expert patient care that has become critical to the financial viability of medical centers. Clinician educators also teach and supervise medical students and residents in the inpatient and, increasingly, in the ambulatory setting2.
Despite clinical expertise and enthusiasm and skill for teaching, clinician educators face many challenges in sustaining and growing their academic careers. They experience varying and often unclear criteria by which their qualifications for promotion are judged. Clinical departments lack consistent measures to assess expertise in clinical care and teaching, and frequently default to evaluating clinician educators using criteria designed for researchers2. However, clinician educators typically shoulder large clinical commitments that make ...
- Osborn, LM, Sostok, M, Castellano, PZ, Blount, W, Branch, WT (1997) Recruiting and retaining clinician-educators. Lessons learned from three programs. J Gen Intern Med 12: pp. S83-9 CrossRef
- Levinson, W, Rubenstein, A (2000) Integrating clinician-educators into academic medical centers: challenges and potential solutions. Acad Med 75: pp. 906-12 CrossRef
- Beckman TJ, Reed DA, Shanafelt TD, West CP. Impact of resident well-being and empathy on assessments of faculty physicians. J Gen Intern Med. XXXXX.
- (www.medicaldeans.org.au/msod.html) Accessed October 12, 2009.
- Hojat, M, Paskin, DL, Callahan, CA, Nasca, TJ, Louis, DZ, Veloski, J, Erdmann, JB, Gonnella, JS (2007) Components of postgraduate competence: analyses of thirty years of longitudinal data. Med Educ 41: pp. 982-9 CrossRef
- Bellini, LM, Baime, M, Shea, JA (2002) Variation of mood and empathy during internship. JAMA 287: pp. 3143-6 CrossRef
- Crandall, SJ, Marion, SG (2009) Identifying attitudes towards empathy: an essential feature of professionalism. Acad Med 84: pp. 1174-6 CrossRef
- Wright SM, Carrese JA. Serving as a physician role model for a diverse population of medical learners. Acad Med. 003;78:623-8.
- Atasoylu, A, Wright, SM, Beasley, BW, Cofrancesco, J, Macpherson, DS, Partridget, T, Thomas, PA, Bass, EB (2003) Promotion criteria for clinician-educators. J Gen Intern Med 18: pp. 711-6 CrossRef
- Newman, LR, Lown, BA, Jones, RN, Johansson, A, Schwartzstein, RM (2009) Developing a peer assessment of lecturing instrument: lessons learned. Acad Med 84: pp. 1104-10 CrossRef
- Schindler, N, Winchester, DP, Sherman, H (2002) Recognizing clinical faculty′s contributions in education. Acad Med 77: pp. 940-1 CrossRef
- Stites, S, Vansaghi, L, Pingleton, S, Cox, G, Paolo, A (2005) Aligning compensation with education: design and implementation of the Educational Value Unit (EVU) system in an academic internal medicine department. Acad Med 80: pp. 1100-6 CrossRef
- Fleming, VM, Schindler, N, Martin, GJ, DaRosa, DA (2005) Separate and equitable promotion tracks for clinician-educators. JAMA 294: pp. 1101-4 CrossRef
- Wright, SM, Kern, DE, Kolodner, K, Howard, DM, Brancati, FL (1998) Attributes of excellent attending-physician role models. New Engl J Med 339: pp. 1986-93 CrossRef
- Simpson, D, Fincher, RM, Hafler, JP, Irby, DM, Richards, BF, Rosenfeld, GC, Viggiano, TR (2007) Advancing educators and education by defining the components and evidence associated with educational scholarship. Med Educ 41: pp. 1002-9 CrossRef
- Thomas, PA, Diener-West, M, Canto, MI, Martin, DR, Post, WS, Streiff, MB (2004) Results of an academic promotion and career path survey of faculty at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Acad Med 79: pp. 258-64 CrossRef
- Irby, DM, Cooke, M, Lowenstein, D, Richards, B (2004) The academy movement: a structural approach to reinvigorating the educational mission. Acad Med 79: pp. 729-36 CrossRef
- Assessment of the Contributions of Clinician Educators
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 5-6
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors