August 2009, Volume 24, Issue 8, pp 985-987,
Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Tackling Care Transitions: Mom and Apple Pie vs. the Devil in the Details
- Vineet M. Arora MD, MAPP
- … show all 1 hide
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
- Kerse N, Mainous A. Continuity through change, a threat or a promise? Journal of the New Zealand Medical Association. 2002;115(1167). Available at: http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/115-1167/276/. Accessed on March 21, 2009.
- Leatherman S, McCarthy D. Quality of health care in the United States: a chartbook. The Commonwealth Fund. April 2002; p.99. Available from: http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Content/Publications/Chartbooks/2002/Apr/Quality-of-Health-Care-in-the-United-States–A-Chartbook.aspx#citation. Accessed on March 29, 2009.
- Meltzer D. Hospitalists and the Doctor-Patient Relationship. J Legal Stud. 2001;30(2):589–606. CrossRef
- Arora VM, Farnan JM. Care transitions for hospitalized patients. Med Clin North Am. 2008;92(2):315–24. CrossRef
- Snow V, Beck D, Budnitz T, et al. Transitions of Care Consensus Policy Statement American College of Physicians-Society of General Internal Medicine-Society of Hospital Medicine-American Geriatrics Society-American College of Emergency Physicians-Society of Academic Emergency Medicine. J Gen Intern Med. 2009; doi:10.1007/s11606-009-0969-x.
- National Transitions of Care Coalition. Available at: http://www.ntocc.org/Home/tabid/36/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx. Accessed on March 21, 2009.
- Draft Consultations & Transfers of Care Draft Detailed Use Case. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. Available at: http://www.dhhs.gov/healthit/ahic/materials/02_08/ehr/consultationsTOC.pdf. Accessed on March 21, 2009.
- Ash JS, Berg M, Coiera E. Some unintended consequences of information technology in health care: the nature of patient care information system-related errors. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2004;11(2):104–12. CrossRef
- Johnson J, Farnan J, Vinci L, Davis A, Arora V. Putting together the missing pieces: A process analysis of PCP-inpatient communication. Midwest Society of General Internal Medicine. 2008
- Mohr J, Arora V. Break the cycle: Rooting out the workaround. ACGME Bulletin; 2004 Nov. Available at: http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/bulletin/bulletin11_04.pdf. Accessed March 29, 2009.
- Arora V, Kao J, Lovinger D, Seiden SC, Meltzer D. Medication discrepancies in resident sign-outs and their potential to harm. J Gen Intern Med. 2007;22(12):1751–5. CrossRef
- Rush JP, Chambers LW, Keddy W. A study to identify who is the responsible physician for each patient in a teaching hospital. QRB Qual Rev Bull. 1986;12(12):426–30.
- Arora V, Johnson J. A model for building a standardized hand-off protocol. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2006;32(11):646–55.
- Arora V, Gangireddy S, Mehrotra A, Ginde R, Tormey M, Meltzer D. Ability of hospitalized patients to identify their in-hospital physicians. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(2):199–201. CrossRef
- Coleman EA, Parry C, Chalmers S, Min SJ. The care transitions intervention: results of a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(17):1822–8. CrossRef
- Jack BW, Chetty VK, Anthony D, et al. A reengineered hospital discharge program to decrease rehospitalization: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2009;150(3):178–87.
- Bell CM, Schnipper JL, Auerbach AD, et al. Association of communication between hospital-based physicians and primary care providers with patient outcomes. J Gen Intern Med. 2009;24(3):381–6. CrossRef
- Parry C, Mahoney E, Chalmers SA, Coleman EA. Assessing the quality of transitional care: further applications of the care transitions measure. Med Care. 2008;46(3):317–22. CrossRef
- Jha AK, Orav EJ, Zheng J, Epstein AM. Patients’ perception of hospital care in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2008;359(18):1921–31. CrossRef
- Tackling Care Transitions: Mom and Apple Pie vs. the Devil in the Details
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 24, Issue 8 , pp 985-987
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of General Internal Medicine, the Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 S. Maryland Ave. MC 2007, AMB W216, Chicago, 60637, IL, USA