August 2008, Volume 23, Issue 8, pp 1286-1287,
Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Smoking Cessation for Hospital Patients: An Opportunity to Increase the Reach of Effective Smoking Cessation Programs
- Lori A. Bastian MD, MPH
- … show all 1 hide
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
- American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2005.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual smoking-attributable mortality years of potential life lost and economic costs-United States, 1995–1999. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Review. 2002;51:300–3.
- Yun YH, Jung KW, Bae JM, et al.. Cigarette smoking and cancer incidence risk in adult men: National Health Insurance Corporation Study. Cancer Detect Prev. 2005;29:15–24. CrossRef
- Miller M, Vogel R. The Practice of Coronary Disease Prevention. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Williams; 1996.
- Taylor DH, Hasselblad V, Henley SJ, Thun MJ, Sloan FA. Benefits of smoking cessation for longevity. Am J Public Health. 2002;92:990–6. CrossRef
- Lerman C, Patterson F, Berrettini W. Treating tobacco dependence: state of the science and new directions. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23(2):311–23. CrossRef
- Garces YI, Yang P, Parkinson J, et al. The relationship between cigarette smoking and quality of life after lung cancer diagnosis. Chest. 2004;126(6):1733–41. CrossRef
- Ebbert JO, Williams BA, Sun Z, et al. Duration of smoking abstinence as a predictor for non-small-cell lung cancer survival in women. Lung Cancer. 2005;47(2):165–72, Feb. CrossRef
- Critchley J, Capewell S. Smoking cessation for the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(1):CD003041.
- Gritz ER, Fingeret MC, Vidrine DJ, Lazev AB, Mehta NV, Reece GP. Successes and failures of the teachable moment: smoking cessation in cancer patients. Cancer. 2006;106(1):17–27. CrossRef
- Rigotti NA, Munafo MR, Stead LF. Interventions for smoking cessation in hospitalized patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007;(3):CD001837.
- National Institutes of Health state-of-the-science conference statement: tobacco use: prevention, cessation, and control. Ann Intern Med. 2006;145:839–44.
- Thorndike AN, Regan S, Rigotti NA. The treatment of smoking by US physicians during ambulatory visits: 1994–2003. Am J Public Health. 2007;97:1878–83. CrossRef
- McBride CM, Emmons KM, Lipkus IM. Understanding the potential of teachable moments: the case of smoking cessation. Health Educ Res. 2003;18(2):156–70. CrossRef
- Koplan KE, Regan S, Goldszer RC, Schneider LI, Rigotti NA. A computerized aid to support smoking cessation treatment for hospital patients. J Gen Int Med. 2008. doi:10.1007/s11606-008-0610-4.
- Christakis NA, Fowler JH. The collective dynamics of smoking in a large social network. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:2249–58. CrossRef
- Smoking Cessation for Hospital Patients: An Opportunity to Increase the Reach of Effective Smoking Cessation Programs
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 23, Issue 8 , pp 1286-1287
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Internal Medicine and Obstetric/Gynecology, Duke University/Durham VA, Durham, NC, USA