Live, Attenuated Varicella Zoster Vaccination of an Immunocompromised Patient
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A vaccine for the prevention of herpes zoster outbreaks in adults over the age of 60 years has recently been approved. A 76-year-old white female with a history of recurrent left axillary breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy was given a Zostavax® injection by her primary care physician. Eight days later, the patient developed a rash. Given the recent administration of live, attenuated varicella zoster virus (VZV), a diagnosis of disseminated cutaneous herpes zoster was made. The patient was treated successfully with a course of famciclovir for 10 days and cephalexin for 7 days for a secondary bacterial infection. A review of the medical literature disclosed no reports of Zostavax® given to adult cancer patients immunocompromised by systemic chemotherapy. Therefore, we believe this report is the first to describe the consequences of Zostavax® administration to such a host. Clinicians should take care to review contraindications and precautions prior to administering the Zostavax® vaccine.
- Merck and Company. Zostavax® subcutaneous injection product information. 2006. Retrieved November 20, 2007 from: www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/z/zostavax/zostavax_pi.pdf.
- MMWR Quick Guide. Recommended adult immunization schedule—United States, October 2007–September 2008. MMWR 2007;56:Q1-Q4. Retrieved November 20, 2007 from http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm5641-Immunization.pdf.
- Oxman M, Levin M, Johnson G, et al. A vaccine to prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia in older adults. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:2271–84. CrossRef
- Kraft J, Shaw J. Varicella infection caused by Oka strain vaccine in a heart transplant recipient. Arch Dermatol. 2006;142:943–5. CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update on safety of herpes zoster vaccine. Retrieved November 20, 2007 from: www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/acip/downloads/mtg-slides-jun07/12-zoster-chavez.pdf.
- Live, Attenuated Varicella Zoster Vaccination of an Immunocompromised Patient
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 648-649
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- varicella zoster vaccination
- adverse reactions
- immunocompromised patient
- Industry Sectors