Prolonged Cerebellar Ataxia: An Unusual Complication of Hypoglycemia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 51-year-old male with a history of insulin-dependent diabetes and polysubstance abuse presented after overdose on insulin. Soon after resuscitation, he displayed a severe ataxia in all 4 limbs and was unable to walk; all of which persisted for at least 5 days. Laboratory testing was unrevealing, including relatively normal brain magnetic resonance imaging. He had recovered full neurologic function 3 months after the event. This report describes a case of reversible cerebellar ataxia as a rare complication of severe hypoglycemia that may occur in patients with abnormal cerebellar glucose metabolism. Thus, this phenomenon should be included in the differential diagnosis of patients with a history of hypoglycemia who present with ataxia. In this context, the differential diagnosis of cerebellar ataxia is discussed, as is the proposed mechanism for hypoglycemia-induced cerebellar dysfunction.
- Rajbhandari, SM, Powell, T, Davies-Jones, GAB, Ward, JD (1998) Central pontine myelinolysis and ataxia: an unusual manifestation of hypoglycaemia. Diabet Med 15: pp. 259-261 CrossRef
- Schwaninger, M, Haehnel, S, Hess, K, Fohr, B, Nawroth, P, Hacke, W (2002) Cerebellar ataxia after repeated hypoglycemia. Eur J Neurol 9: pp. 544-545 CrossRef
- Kim, DE, Park, SH, Kim, SK (2000) Hypoglycemia-induced cerebellar dysfunction and quantitative positron emission tomography study. Neurology 55: pp. 418-422
- Ropper AL, Brown RH, eds. Adams and Victor’s Principles of Neurology, 8th Edition. McGraw-Hill’ Access Medicine Web site; 2005. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed August 10, 2007.
- Antunez, E, Estruch, R, Cardenal, C (1998) Usefulness of CT and MR imaging in the diagnosis of acute Wernicke’s encephalopathy. AJR. Am J Roentgenol 171: pp. 1131-1137
- Kasper DL, Braunwald E, eds. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 16th Edition. McGraw-Hill’ s Access Medicine Web site; 2005. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 22, 2007.
- Sullivan, JT, Sykora, K, Schneiderman, J, Naranjo, CA, Sellers, EM (1989) Assessment of alcohol withdrawal: the revised clinical institute withdrawal assessment for alcohol scale (CIWA-Ar). Br J Addict 84: pp. 1353-1357 CrossRef
- LaManna, JC, Harik, SI (1985) Regional comparisons of brain glucose influx. Brain Res 326: pp. 299-305 CrossRef
- Cranston, I, Marsden, P, Matyka, K (1998) Regional differences in cerebral blood flow and glucose utilization in diabetic man: the effect of insulin. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 18: pp. 130-140 CrossRef
- Prolonged Cerebellar Ataxia: An Unusual Complication of Hypoglycemia
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 23, Issue 1 , pp 103-105
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- KEY WORDS
- diabetes mellitus
- Industry Sectors