Safety and Efficacy of Portal Vein Embolization Before Planned Major or Extended Hepatectomy: An Institutional Experience of 358 Patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Portal vein embolization (PVE) stimulates hypertrophy of the future liver remnant (FLR) and may improve the safety of extended hepatectomy. The efficacy of PVE was evaluated.
Records of 358 consecutive patients who underwent PVE before intended major hepatectomy at our institution from 1995 through 2012 were retrospectively reviewed.
One hundred twelve patients (31.3 %) had right PVE alone; 235 (65.6 %) had right PVE plus segment IV embolization. The first-session PVE completion rate was 97.8 %. The PVE complication rate was 3.9 %. The median pre-PVE and post-PVE standardized FLRs were 19.5 % (interquartile range, 15.0–25.9) and 29.7 % (interquartile range, 22.5–38.2), respectively. Two hundred forty patients (67.0 %) underwent potentially curative resection. Sixty-two patients (25.8 %) had major post-hepatectomy complications; rates of postoperative hepatic insufficiency and 90-day liver-related mortality were 8.3 and 3.8 %, respectively. The proportion of patients with colorectal liver metastasis increased from 38.6 % before 2005 to 78.2 % in 2010–2012. Despite increased use of preoperative chemotherapy, postoperative hepatic insufficiency and 90-day liver-related mortality rates dropped from 10.6 and 4.1 %, respectively, before 2010 to 2.9 and 2.9 %, respectively, in 2010–2012.
PVE can be safely performed with minimal morbidity. Most patients can proceed to extended hepatectomy, which is associated with a minimal mortality rate.
- Azoulay D, Castaing D, Krissat J, Smail A, Hargreaves GM, Lemoine A, Emile JF, Bismuth H. Percutaneous portal vein embolization increases the feasibility and safety of major liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma in injured liver. Ann Surg 2000;232(5): 665–672.
- Elias D, Ouellet JF, De Baere T, Lasser P, Roche A. Preoperative selective portal vein embolization before hepatectomy for liver metastases: long-term results and impact on survival. Surgery 2002;131(3): 294–299.
- Kishi Y, Abdalla EK, Chun YS, Zorzi D, Madoff DC, Wallace MJ, Curley SA, Vauthey JN. Three hundred and one consecutive extended right hepatectomies: evaluation of outcome based on systematic liver volumetry. Ann Surg 2009;250(4): 540–548.
- Kubota K, Makuuchi M, Kusaka K, Kobayashi T, Miki K, Hasegawa K, Harihara Y, Takayama T. Measurement of liver volume and hepatic functional reserve as a guide to decision-making in resectional surgery for hepatic tumors. Hepatology 1997;26(5): 1176–1181.
- Shindoh J, Tzeng CW, Aloia TA, Curley SA, Zimmitti G, Wei SH, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Optimal Future Liver Remnant in Patients Treated with Extensive Preoperative Chemotherapy for Colorectal Liver Metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 2013;(20): 2493–2500
- Bax HR, Mansens BJ, Schalm L. Atrophy of the liver after occlusion of the bile ducts or portal vein and compensatory hypertrophy of the unoccluded portion and its clinical importance. Gastroenterology 1956;31(2): 131–155.
- Honjo I, Kozaka S. Extensive resection of the liver in two stages. Rev Int Hepatol 1965;15: 309–319.
- Rous P, Larimore LD. Relation of the Portal Blood to Liver Maintenance: A Demonstration of Liver Atrophy Conditional on Compensation. J Exp Med 1920;31(5): 609–632.
- Madoff DC, Abdalla EK, Gupta S, Wu TT, Morris JS, Denys A, Wallace MJ, Morello FA, Jr., Ahrar K, Murthy R, Lunagomez S, Hicks ME, Vauthey JN. Transhepatic ipsilateral right portal vein embolization extended to segment IV: improving hypertrophy and resection outcomes with spherical particles and coils. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2005;16(2 Pt 1): 215–225.
- Makuuchi M, Thai BL, Takayasu K, Takayama T, Kosuge T, Gunven P, Yamazaki S, Hasegawa H, Ozaki H. Preoperative portal embolization to increase safety of major hepatectomy for hilar bile duct carcinoma: a preliminary report. Surgery 1990;107(5): 521–527.
- Nagino M, Kamiya J, Kanai M, Uesaka K, Sano T, Yamamoto H, Hayakawa N, Nimura Y. Right trisegment portal vein embolization for biliary tract carcinoma: technique and clinical utility. Surgery 2000;127(2): 155–160.
- Takayasu K, Muramatsu Y, Shima Y, Moriyama N, Yamada T, Makuuchi M. Hepatic lobar atrophy following obstruction of the ipsilateral portal vein from hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Radiology 1986;160(2): 389–393.
- Ribero D, Abdalla EK, Madoff DC, Donadon M, Loyer EM, Vauthey JN. Portal vein embolization before major hepatectomy and its effects on regeneration, resectability and outcome. Br J Surg 2007;94(11): 1386–1394.
- Ebata T, Yokoyama Y, Igami T, Sugawara G, Takahashi Y, Nagino M. Portal vein embolization before extended hepatectomy for biliary cancer: current technique and review of 494 consecutive embolizations. Dig Surg 2012;29(1): 23–29.
- Nagino M, Kamiya J, Nishio H, Ebata T, Arai T, Nimura Y. Two hundred forty consecutive portal vein embolizations before extended hepatectomy for biliary cancer: surgical outcome and long-term follow-up. Ann Surg 2006;243(3): 364–372.
- Imamura H, Seyama Y, Makuuchi M, Kokudo N. Sequential transcatheter arterial chemoembolization and portal vein embolization for hepatocellular carcinoma: the University of Tokyo experience. Semin Intervent Radiol 2008;25(2): 146–154.
- Vauthey JN, Chaoui A, Do KA, Bilimoria MM, Fenstermacher MJ, Charnsangavej C, Hicks M, Alsfasser G, Lauwers G, Hawkins IF, Caridi J. Standardized measurement of the future liver remnant prior to extended liver resection: methodology and clinical associations. Surgery 2000;127(5): 512–519.
- Vauthey JN, Abdalla EK, Doherty DA, Gertsch P, Fenstermacher MJ, Loyer EM, Lerut J, Materne R, Wang X, Encarnacion A, Herron D, Mathey C, Ferrari G, Charnsangavej C, Do KA, Denys A. Body surface area and body weight predict total liver volume in Western adults. Liver Transpl 2002;8(3): 233–240.
- Abdalla EK, Barnett CC, Doherty D, Curley SA, Vauthey JN. Extended hepatectomy in patients with hepatobiliary malignancies with and without preoperative portal vein embolization. Arch Surg 2002;137(6): 675–680.
- Vauthey JN, Pawlik TM, Abdalla EK, Arens JF, Nemr RA, Wei SH, Kennamer DL, Ellis LM, Curley SA. Is extended hepatectomy for hepatobiliary malignancy justified? Ann Surg 2004;239(5):722–730; discussion 730–722.
- Madoff DC, Hicks ME, Abdalla EK, Morris JS, Vauthey JN. Portal vein embolization with polyvinyl alcohol particles and coils in preparation for major liver resection for hepatobiliary malignancy: safety and effectiveness—study in 26 patients. Radiology 2003; 227(1): 251–260.
- Truty MJ, Vauthey JN. Uses and limitations of portal vein embolization for improving perioperative outcomes in hepatocellular carcinoma. Semin Oncol 2010;37(2): 102–109.
- Kishi Y, Madoff DC, Abdalla EK, Palavecino M, Ribero D, Chun YS, Vauthey JN. Is embolization of segment 4 portal veins before extended right hepatectomy justified? Surgery 2008;144(5): 744–751.
- Shindoh J, Truty MJ, Aloia TA, Curley SA, Zimmitti G, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Vauthey JN. Kinetic growth rate after portal vein embolization predicts posthepatectomy outcomes: toward zero liver-related mortality in patients with colorectal liver metastases and small future liver remnant. J Am Coll Surg 2013;216(2):201–209.
- Abdalla EK, Hicks ME, Vauthey JN. Portal vein embolization: rationale, technique and future prospects. Br J Surg 2001;88(2): 165–175.
- Cunningham JD, Fong Y, Shriver C, Melendez J, Marx WL, Blumgart LH. One hundred consecutive hepatic resections. Blood loss, transfusion, and operative technique. Arch Surg 1994;129(10): 1050–1056.
- Zorzi D, Laurent A, Pawlik TM, Lauwers GY, Vauthey JN, Abdalla EK. Chemotherapy-associated hepatotoxicity and surgery for colorectal liver metastases. Br J Surg 2007;94(3): 274–286.
- Zimmitti G, Roses RE, Andreou A, Shindoh J, Curley SA, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Greater complexity of liver surgery is not associated with an increased incidence of liver-related complications except for bile leak: an experience with 2,628 consecutive resections. J Gastrointest Surg 2012;17(1): 57–64; discussion p 64–55.
- Uesaka K, Nimura Y, Nagino M. Changes in hepatic lobar function after right portal vein embolization. An appraisal by biliary indocyanine green excretion. Ann Surg 1996;223(1): 77–83.
- Hirai I, Kimura W, Fuse A, Suto K, Urayama M. Evaluation of preoperative portal embolization for safe hepatectomy, with special reference to assessment of nonembolized lobe function with 99mTc-GSA SPECT scintigraphy. Surgery 2003;133(5): 495–506.
- Ijichi M, Makuuchi M, Imamura H, Takayama T. Portal embolization relieves persistent jaundice after complete biliary drainage. Surgery 2001;130(1): 116–118.
- Shindoh J, Vauthey JN, Zimmitti G, Curley SA, Huang SY, Mahvash A, Gupta S, Wallace MJ, Aloia TA. Analysis of the efficacy of portal vein embolization for patients with extensive liver malignancy and very low future liver remnant volume including a comparison to the ALPPS approach. J Am Coll Surg 2013;217(1): 126-33.
- Abulkhir A, Limongelli P, Healey AJ, Damrah O, Tait P, Jackson J, Habib N, Jiao LR. Preoperative portal vein embolization for major liver resection: a meta-analysis. Ann Surg 2008;247(1): 49–57.
- Hayashi S, Baba Y, Ueno K, Nakajo M, Kubo F, Ueno S, Aikou T, Komokata T, Nakamura N, Sakata R. Acceleration of primary liver tumor growth rate in embolized hepatic lobe after portal vein embolization. Acta Radiol 2007;48(7): 721–727.
- Kokudo N, Tada K, Seki M, Ohta H, Azekura K, Ueno M, Ohta K, Yamaguchi T, Matsubara T, Takahashi T, Nakajima T, Muto T, Ikari T, Yanagisawa A, Kato Y. Proliferative activity of intrahepatic colorectal metastases after preoperative hemihepatic portal vein embolization. Hepatology 2001;34(2): 267–272.
- Safety and Efficacy of Portal Vein Embolization Before Planned Major or Extended Hepatectomy: An Institutional Experience of 358 Patients
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 45-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Portal vein embolization
- Future liver remnant
- Extended hepatecotmy
- Hepatic insufficiency
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcomb Boulevard, Unit 1484, Houston, TX, 77030, USA
- 2. Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA