Enucleation of Pancreatic Lesions: Indications, Outcomes, and Risk Factors for Clinical Pancreatic Fistula
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
There are few large samples and single-center series that focus on the outcomes of pancreatic enucleation and risk factors for clinical pancreatic fistula (PF). This study aimed to evaluate the indications, short- and long-term results, and risk factors for clinical PF after pancreatic enucleation.
Patients who underwent pancreatic enucleation from January 2005 to April 2011 at the Peking Union Medical College Hospital in China were included. Clinical data were collected and analyzed.
A total of 119 patients underwent enucleation. PF was the most common complication; the incidence of clinical PF (grades B and C) was 27.7 %. The most common indications were endocrine neoplasms (76.5 %). During a median follow-up of 41 months, no patient developed exocrine insufficiency. Three elderly patients developed non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. One patient with VIPoma developed recurrence and liver metastasis. New York Heart Association (NYHA) class II or III (P = 0.009; hazard ratio (HR) 3.191; 95 % confidence interval (CI) 1.334–7.632), operative time ≥180 min (P = 0.025; HR 2.664; 95 % CI 1.112–6.386) were the independent risk factors for clinical PF.
Enucleation is a safe and effective treatment for benign and low malignant lesions of the pancreas. NYHA class II or III and operation time of ≥180 min are independent risk factors for clinical PF.
- Hackert T, Hinz U, Fritz S, Strobel O, Schneider L, Hartwig W, et al. Enucleation in pancreatic surgery: indications, technique, and outcome compared to standard pancreatic resections. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2011;396:1197–203. CrossRef
- Crippa S, Bassi C, Salvia R, Falconi M, Butturini G, Pederzoli P. Enucleation of pancreatic neoplasms. Br J Surg 2007;94:1254–9. CrossRef
- Crippa S, Boninsegna L, Partelli S, Falconi M. Parenchyma-sparing resections for pancreatic neoplasms. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 2010;17:782–7. CrossRef
- Pitt SC, Pitt HA, Baker MS, Christians K, Touzios JG, Kiely JM, et al. Small pancreatic and periampullary neuroendocrine tumors: resect or enucleate. J Gastrointest Surg 2009;13:1692–8. CrossRef
- Talamini MA, Moesinger R, Yeo CJ, Poulose B, Hruban RH, Cameron JL, et al. Cystadenomas of the pancreas: is enucleation an adequate operation. Ann Surg 1998;227:896–903. CrossRef
- Falconi M, Zerbi A, Crippa S, Balzano G, Boninsegna L, Capitanio V, et al. Parenchyma-preserving resections for small nonfunctioning pancreatic endocrine tumors. Ann Surg Oncol 2010;17:1621–7. CrossRef
- Kiely JM, Nakeeb A, Komorowski RA, Wilson SD, Pitt HA. Cystic pancreatic neoplasms: enucleate or resect. J Gastrointest Surg 2003;7:890–7. CrossRef
- Bassi C, Dervenis C, Butturini G, Fingerhut A, Yeo C, Izbicki J, et al. Postoperative pancreatic fistula: an international study group (ISGPF) definition. Surgery 2005;138:8–13. CrossRef
- Brient C, Regenet N, Sulpice L, Brunaud L, Mucci-Hennekine S, Carrere N, et al. Risk factors for postoperative pancreatic fistulization subsequent toenucleation. J Gastrointest Surg 2012;16:1883–7. CrossRef
- Hurst JW. The value of using the entire New York Heart Association’s classification of heart and vascular disease. Clin Cardiol 2006;29:415–7. CrossRef
- Ehehalt F, Saeger HD, Schmidt CM, Grutzmann R. Neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas. Oncologist 2009;14:456–67. CrossRef
- Dindo D, Demartines N, Clavien PA. Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey. Ann Surg 2004;240:205–13. CrossRef
- Yoshioka R, Saiura A, Koga R, Seki M, Kishi Y, Morimura R, et al. Risk factors for clinical pancreatic fistula after distal pancreatectomy: analysis of consecutive 100 patients. World J Surg 2010;34:121–5. CrossRef
- Wente MN, Bassi C, Dervenis C, Fingerhut A, Gouma DJ, Izbicki JR, et al. Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) after pancreatic surgery: a suggested definitionby the International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery (ISGPS). Surgery 2007;142:761–8. CrossRef
- Tucker ON, Crotty PL, Conlon KC. The management of insulinoma. Br J Surg 2006;93:264–75. CrossRef
- Pongpornsup S, Piyapittayanan S, Charoensak A. MDCT imaging findings for characterization pancreatic cystic lesion: differentiation between benign and malignant pattern. J Med Assoc Thai 2011;94:369–78.
- Ge C, Luo X, Chen X, Guo K. Enucleation of pancreatic cystadenomas. J Gastrointest Surg 2010;14:141–7. CrossRef
- Turrini O, Schmidt CM, Pitt HA, Guiramand J, Aguilar-Saavedra JR, Aboudi S, et al. Side-branch intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreatic head/uncinate: resection or enucleation. HPB (Oxford) 2011;13:126–31. CrossRef
- Butte JM, Brennan MF, Gonen M, Tang LH, D’Angelica MI, Fong Y, et al. Solid pseudopapillary tumors of the pancreas. Clinical features, surgical outcomes, and long-term survival in 45 consecutive patients from a single center. J Gastrointest Surg 2011;15:350–7. CrossRef
- Takamatsu S, Nagano H, Ohtsukasa S, Kawachi Y, Maruyama H. A case of spontaneous ruptured solid pseudopapillary tumor of pancreas resected by laparoscopic surgery. Case Rep Med 2013;2013:953240.
- Smith SL, Branton SA, Avino AJ, Martin JK, Klingler PJ, Thompson GB, et al. Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide secreting islet cell tumors: a 15-year experience and review of the literature. Surgery 1998;124:1050–5. CrossRef
- Pecorelli N, Balzano G, Capretti G, Zerbi A, Di CV, Braga M. Effect of surgeon volume on outcome following pancreaticoduodenectomy in a high-volume hospital. J Gastrointest Surg 2012;16:518–23. CrossRef
- Sierzega M, Niekowal B, Kulig J, Popiela T. Nutritional status affects the rate of pancreatic fistula after distal pancreatectomy: a multivariate analysis of 132 patients. J Am Cull Surg 2007;205:52–9. CrossRef
- Carter TI, Fong ZV, Hyslop T, Lavu H, Tan WP, Hardacre J, et al. A dual-institution randomized controlled trial of remnant closure after distal pancreatectomy: does the addition of a filiform patch and fibrin glue improve outcomes. J Gastrointest Surg 2013;17:102–9. CrossRef
- Hackert T, Werner J, Buchler MW. Postoperative pancreatic fistula. Surgeon 2011;9:211–7. CrossRef
- Ausania F, Snowden CP, Prentis JM, Holmes LR, Jaques BC, White SA, et al. Effects of low cardiopulmonary reserve on pancreatic leak following pancreaticoduodenectomy. Br J Surg 2012;99:1290–4. CrossRef
- Lermite E, Pessaux P, Brehant O, Teyssedou C, Pelletier I, Etienne S, et al. Risk factors of pancreatic fistula and delayed gastric emptying after pancreaticoduodenectomy with pancreaticogastrostomy. J Am Coll Surg 2007;204:588–96. CrossRef
- Zhao YP, Zhan HX, Cong L, Zhang TP, Liao Q, Dai MH, et al. Risk factors for postoperative pancreatic fistula in patients with insulinomas: analysis of 292 consecutive cases. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2012;11:102–6. CrossRef
- Enucleation of Pancreatic Lesions: Indications, Outcomes, and Risk Factors for Clinical Pancreatic Fistula
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 17, Issue 12 , pp 2099-2104
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Pancreatic Lesions
- Pancreatic Fistula
- Treatment Outcomes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, No. 1 Shuaifuyuan, Wangfujing Street, Beijing, 100730, China