Robotic Colorectal Surgery
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Minimally invasive surgery has many potential benefits, and the application of recently developed robotic technology to patients with colorectal diseases is rapidly gaining popularity.
Quality and Outcomes
However, the literature evaluating such techniques, including the outcomes, risks, and costs, is limited. In this review, we evaluate and summarize the existing information, calling attention to areas where future investigation should occur.
- Jacobs, M., J.C. Verdeja, and H.S. Goldstein, Minimally invasive colon resection (laparoscopic colectomy). Surgical Laparoscopy & Endoscopy, 1991. 1(3): p. 144–50.
- Clinical Outcomes of Surgical Therapy Study Group. A comparison of laparoscopically assisted and open colectomy for colon cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 2004. 350(20): p. 2050–9. CrossRef
- Jayne, D.G., et al., Five-year follow-up of the Medical Research Council CLASICC trial of laparoscopically assisted versus open surgery for colorectal cancer. British Journal of Surgery, 2010. 97(11): p. 1638–45. CrossRef
- Jayne, D.G., et al., Randomized trial of laparoscopic-assisted resection of colorectal carcinoma: 3-year results of the UK MRC CLASICC Trial Group. J Clin Oncol, 2007. 25(21): p. 3061–8. CrossRef
- van der Pas, M.H., et al., Laparoscopic versus open surgery for rectal cancer (COLOR II): short-term outcomes of a randomised, phase 3 trial. The Lancet Oncology, 2013. 14(3): p. 210–8. CrossRef
- Li, J.C., et al., Institution learning curve of laparoscopic colectomy—a multi-dimensional analysis. International Journal of Colorectal Disease, 2012. 27(4): p. 527–33. CrossRef
- Peterson, C.Y., et al., Technical aspects of robotic proctectomy. Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy & Percutaneous Techniques, 2012. 22(3): p. 189–93. CrossRef
- Jimenez-Rodriguez, R.M., et al., Learning curve for robotic-assisted laparoscopic rectal cancer surgery. International Journal of Colorectal Disease, 2012. 28(6): p. 815–21. CrossRef
- Ragupathi, M., et al., Robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for recurrent diverticulitis: experience in consecutive cases and a review of the literature. Surgical Endoscopy, 2011. 25(1): p. 199–206. CrossRef
- de Hoog, D.E., et al., Recurrence and functional results after open versus conventional laparoscopic versus robot-assisted laparoscopic rectopexy for rectal prolapse: a case–control study. International Journal of Colorectal Disease, 2009. 24(10): p. 1201–6. CrossRef
- Wong, M.T., et al., Robotic versus laparoscopic rectopexy for complex rectocele: a prospective comparison of short-term outcomes. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 2011. 54(3): p. 342–6. CrossRef
- Ragupathi, M., et al., Robotic-assisted laparoscopic “salvage” rectopexy for recurrent ileoanal J-pouch prolapse. Gastroenterology Research and Practice, 2010. 2010: p. 790462. CrossRef
- McLemore, E.C., et al., Robotic-assisted laparoscopic stage II restorative proctectomy for toxic ulcerative colitis. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, 2012. 8(2): p. 178–83. CrossRef
- Miller, A.T., et al., Robotic-assisted proctectomy for inflammatory bowel disease: a case-matched comparison of laparoscopic and robotic technique. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, 2012. 16(3): p. 587–94. CrossRef
- Surveillance Research Program, N.C.I. Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results—Cancer Statistics. April 11, 2013; Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.html.
- Asgeirsson, T. and A.J. Senagore, Colon Cancer, in Current Surgical Therapy, J.L. Cameron and A.M. Cameron, Editors. 2011, Elsevier Inc.: Philadelphia.
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Colon Cancer, Version 3.2013. 2012 April 11, 2013; Available from: www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/colon.pdf.
- Kim, H. and M.R. Weiser, Rectal Cancer, in Clinical Scenarios in General Surgery: Decision Making and Operative Technique, J.B. Dimick, Editor. 2012, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia.
- Beets, G.L. and R.G. Beets-Tan, Pretherapy imaging of rectal cancers: ERUS or MRI? Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America, 2010. 19(4): p. 733–41. CrossRef
- NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Rectal Cancer, Version 4.2013. 2012 April 11, 2013; Available from: www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/rectal.pdf.
- Sauer, R., et al., Preoperative versus postoperative chemoradiotherapy for rectal cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 2004. 351(17): p. 1731–40. CrossRef
- Kapiteijn, E., et al., Preoperative radiotherapy combined with total mesorectal excision for resectable rectal cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 2001. 345(9): p. 638–46. CrossRef
- MacFarlane, J.K., R.D. Ryall, and R.J. Heald, Mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. The Lancet, 1993. 341(8843): p. 457–60. CrossRef
- Kang CY, H.W., Luo R, Pigazzi A, Nguyen NT, Stamos MJ., Laparoscopic colorectal surgery: a better look into the latest trends. Arch Surg, 2012. 147(8): p. 724–731.
- Scarpinata, R. and E.H. Aly, Does robotic rectal cancer surgery offer improved early postoperative outcomes? Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 2013. 56(2): p. 253–62. CrossRef
- Zhang, J.L. and G.D. Zhang, Risk factors analysis and scoring system application of conversion to open surgery in laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy & Percutaneous Techniques, 2011. 21(5): p. 322–6. CrossRef
- Patriti, A., et al., Short- and medium-term outcome of robot-assisted and traditional laparoscopic rectal resection. Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, 2009. 13(2): p. 176–83.
- deSouza, A.L., et al., Total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer: the potential advantage of robotic assistance. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 2010. 53(12): p. 1611–7.
- D'Annibale, A., et al., Total mesorectal excision: a comparison of oncological and functional outcomes between robotic and laparoscopic surgery for rectal cancer. Surgical Endoscopy, 2013. 27(6): p. 1887–95. CrossRef
- Baik, S., et al., Robotic Versus Laparoscopic Low Anterior Resection of Rectal Cancer: Short-Term Outcome of a Prospective Comparative Study. Annals of Surgical Oncology, 2009. 16(6): p. 1480–1487. CrossRef
- Pigazzi, A., et al., Robotic-assisted laparoscopic low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer. Surgical Endoscopy, 2006. 20(10): p. 1521–1525. CrossRef
- Park, Y., et al., Totally robotic surgery for rectal cancer: from splenic flexure to pelvic floor in one setup. Surgical Endoscopy, 2010. 24(3): p. 715–720. CrossRef
- Hellan, M., H. Stein, and A. Pigazzi, Totally robotic low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision and splenic flexure mobilization. Surgical Endoscopy, 2009. 23(2): p. 447–451. CrossRef
- Jafari, M.D., et al., The use of indocyanine green fluorescence to assess anastomotic perfusion during robotic assisted laparoscopic rectal surgery. Surgical Endoscopy, 2013. 27(8): p. 3003–8. CrossRef
- Adamina, M., et al., Randomized clinical trial comparing the cost and effectiveness of bipolar vessel sealers versus clips and vascular staplers for laparoscopic colorectal resection. British Journal of Surgery, 2011. 98(12): p. 1703–12. CrossRef
- Ramamoorthy, S. and V. Obias, Unique complications of robotic colorectal surgery. Surgical Clinics of North America, 2013. 93(1): p. 273–86. CrossRef
- Hung, C.F., et al., Bowel complication during robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. Anticancer Research, 2011. 31(10): p. 3497–501.
- Ou, Y.C., et al., The learning curve for reducing complications of robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy by a single surgeon. BJU International, 2011. 108(3): p. 420–5. CrossRef
- Wedmid, A., et al., Rectal injury during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy: incidence and management. Journal of Urology, 2011. 186(5): p. 1928–33. CrossRef
- Patel, C.B., et al., A three-arm (laparoscopic, hand-assisted, and robotic) matched-case analysis of intraoperative and postoperative outcomes in minimally invasive colorectal surgery. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 2011. 54(2): p. 144–50. CrossRef
- Pigazzi, A. RObotic Versus LAparoscopic Resection for Rectal Cancer (ROLARR). April 12, 2013; Available from: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01736072.
- Collinson, F.J., et al., An international, multicentre, prospective, randomised, controlled, unblinded, parallel-group trial of robotic-assisted versus standard laparoscopic surgery for the curative treatment of rectal cancer. International Journal of Colorectal Disease, 2012. 27(2): p. 233–41. CrossRef
- Memon, S., et al., Robotic versus laparoscopic proctectomy for rectal cancer: a meta-analysis. Ann Surg Oncol, 2012. 19(7): p. 2095–101. CrossRef
- Lin, S., et al., Meta-analysis of robotic and laparoscopic surgery for treatment of rectal cancer. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 2011. 17(47): p. 5214–20. CrossRef
- Trastulli, S., et al., Robotic resection compared with laparoscopic rectal resection for cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis of short-term outcome. Colorectal Disease, 2012. 14(4): p. e134-56. CrossRef
- Yang, Y., et al., Robot-assisted versus conventional laparoscopic surgery for colorectal disease, focusing on rectal cancer: a meta-analysis. Ann Surg Oncol, 2012. 19(12): p. 3727–36. CrossRef
- Tyler, J.A., et al., Outcomes and costs associated with robotic colectomy in the minimally invasive era. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 2013. 56(4): p. 458–66. CrossRef
- Kang, J., et al., The impact of robotic surgery for mid and low rectal cancer: a case-matched analysis of a 3-arm comparison—open, laparoscopic, and robotic surgery. Annals of Surgery, 2013. 257(1): p. 95–101. CrossRef
- deSouza, A.L., et al., A comparison of open and robotic total mesorectal excision for rectal adenocarcinoma. Diseases of the colon and rectum, 2011. 54(3): p. 275–82. CrossRef
- Leitao, M.M., Jr., et al., Introduction of a computer-based surgical platform in the surgical care of patients with newly diagnosed uterine cancer: outcomes and impact on approach. Gynecologic Oncology, 2012. 125(2): p. 394–9. CrossRef
- Kim, J.Y., et al., A comparative study of voiding and sexual function after total mesorectal excision with autonomic nerve preservation for rectal cancer: laparoscopic versus robotic surgery. Ann Surg Oncol, 2012. 19(8): p. 2485–93. CrossRef
- Alemozaffar, M., et al., Technical refinement and learning curve for attenuating neurapraxia during robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy to improve sexual function. European Urology, 2012. 61(6): p. 1222–8. CrossRef
- Sng, K.K., et al., The multiphasic learning curve for robot-assisted rectal surgery. Surgical Endoscopy, 2013. doi: 10.1007/s00464-013-2909-4.
- Woelk, J.L., et al., The learning curve of robotic hysterectomy. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2013. 121(1): p. 87–95.
- Kilic, G.S., et al., Effect of residents' previous laparoscopic surgery experience on initial robotic suturing experience. ISRN Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2012. 2012: p. 569456. CrossRef
- Perrenot, C., et al., The virtual reality simulator dV-Trainer((R)) is a valid assessment tool for robotic surgical skills. Surgical Endoscopy, 2012. 26(9): p. 2587–93. CrossRef
- deSouza, A.L., et al., Robotic assistance in right hemicolectomy: is there a role? Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, 2010. 53(7): p. 1000–6. CrossRef
- Park, J.S., et al., Randomized clinical trial of robot-assisted versus standard laparoscopic right colectomy. British Journal of Surgery, 2012. 99(9): p. 1219–26. CrossRef
- Trastulli, S., et al., Robotic right colectomy for cancer with intracorporeal anastomosis: short-term outcomes from a single institution. International Journal of Colorectal Disease, 2012. 28(6): p. 807–14. CrossRef
- Huettner, F., et al., One hundred and two consecutive robotic-assisted minimally invasive colectomies--an outcome and technical update. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, 2011. 15(7): p. 1195–204. CrossRef
- Bokhari, M.B., et al., Learning curve for robotic-assisted laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Surgical Endoscopy, 2011. 25(3): p. 855–60. CrossRef
- Luca, F., et al., Surgical and pathological outcomes after right hemicolectomy: case-matched study comparing robotic and open surgery. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, 2011. doi: 10.1002/rcs.398.
- Rawlings, A.L., et al., Robotic versus laparoscopic colectomy. Surgical Endoscopy, 2007. 21(10): p. 1701–8. CrossRef
- Robotic Colorectal Surgery
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 398-403
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Colorectal surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Industry Sectors