Selective Reoperation for Locally Recurrent or Metastatic Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma Following Primary Pancreatic Resection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Resection of certain recurrent malignancies can prolong survival, but resection of recurrent pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma is typically contraindicated because of poor outcomes.
All patients from 1992 to 2010 with recurrent pancreatic cancer after intended surgical cure were retrospectively evaluated. Clinicopathologic features were compared from patients who did and did not undergo subsequent reoperation with curative intent to identify factors associated with prolonged survival.
Twenty-one of 426 patients (5 %) with recurrent pancreatic cancer underwent potentially curative reoperation for solitary local-regional (n = 7) or distant (n = 14) recurrence. The median disease-free interval after initial resection among reoperative patients was longer for those with lung or local-regional recurrence (52.4 and 41.1 months, respectively) than for those with liver recurrence (7.6 months, p = 0.006). The median interval between reoperation and second recurrence was longer in patients with lung recurrence (median not reached) than with liver or local-regional recurrence (6 and 9 months, respectively, p = 0.023). Reoperative patients with an initial disease-free interval >20 months had a longer median survival than those who did not (92.3 versus 31.3 months, respectively; p = 0.033).
Patients with a solitary pulmonary recurrence of pancreatic cancer after a prolonged disease-free interval should be considered for reoperation, as they are more likely to benefit from resection versus other sites of solitary recurrence.
- Katz MH, Wang H, Fleming JB, Sun CC, Hwang RF, Wolff RA, Varadhachary G, Abbruzzese JL, Crane CH, Krishnan S, Vauthey JN, Abdalla EK, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Evans DB. Long-term survival after multidisciplinary management of resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009 Apr;16(4):836–847. CrossRef
- Oettle H, Post S, Neuhaus P, Gellert K, Langrehr J, Ridwelski K, Schramm H, Fahlke J, Zuelke C, Burkart C, Gutberlet K, Kettner E, Schmalenberg H, Weigang-Koehler K, Bechstein WO, Niedergethmann M, Schmidt-Wolf I, Roll L, Doerken B, Riess H. Adjuvant chemotherapy with gemcitabine vs observation in patients undergoing curative-intent resection of pancreatic cancer: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2007 Jan 17;297(3):267–277. CrossRef
- Gastrointestinal Tumor Study Group. Cancer. 1987 Jun 15;59(12):2006–2010.
- Breslin TM, Hess KR, Harbison DB, Jean ME, Cleary KR, Dackiw AP, Wolff RA, Abbruzzese JL, Janjan NA, Crane CH, Vauthey JN, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Evans DB. Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy for adenocarcinoma of the pancreas: treatment variables and survival duration. Ann Surg Oncol. 2001 Mar;8(2):123–132. CrossRef
- Smeenk HG, van Eijck CH, Hop WC, Erdmann J, Tran KC, Debois M, van Cutsem E, van Dekken H, Klinkenbijl JH, Jeekel J. Long-term survival and metastatic pattern of pancreatic and periampullary cancer after adjuvant chemoradiation or observation: long-term results of EORTC trial 40891. Ann Surg. 2007 Nov;246(5):734–740. CrossRef
- Sperti C, Pasquali C, Piccoli A, Pedrazzoli S. Recurrence after resection for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. World J Surg. 1997 Feb;21(2):195–200. CrossRef
- Raut CP, Tseng JF, Sun CC, Wang H, Wolff RA, Crane CH, Hwang R, Vauthey JN, Abdalla EK, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Evans DB. Impact of resection status on pattern of failure and survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg. 2007 Jul;246(1):52–60. CrossRef
- Scheele J, Stangl R, Altendorf-Hofmann A, Gall FP. Indicators of prognosis after hepatic resection for colorectal secondaries. Surgery. 1991 Jul;110(1):13–29.
- Altendorf-Hofmann A, Scheele J. A critical review of the major indicators of prognosis after resection of hepatic metastases from colorectal carcinoma. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2003 Jan;12(1):165–192, xi. CrossRef
- Reddy S, Edil BH, Cameron JL, Pawlik TM, Herman JM, Gilson MM, Campbell KA, Schulick RD, Ahuja N, Wolfgang CL. Pancreatic resection of isolated metastases from nonpancreatic primary cancers. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 Nov;15(11):3199–3206. CrossRef
- Mayo SC, de Jong MC, Pulitano C, Clary BM, Reddy SK, Gamblin TC, Celinksi SA, Kooby DA, Staley CA, Stokes JB, Chu CK, Ferrero A, Schulick RD, Choti MA, Mentha G, Strub J, Bauer TW, Adams RB, Aldrighetti L, Capussotti L, Pawlik TM. Surgical management of hepatic neuroendocrine tumor metastasis: results from an international multi-institutional analysis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2010 Dec;17(12):3129–3136. CrossRef
- Musunuru S, Chen H, Rajpal S, Stephani N, McDermott JC, Holen K, Rikkers LF, Weber SM. Metastatic neuroendocrine hepatic tumors: resection improves survival. Arch Surg. 2006 Oct;141(10):1000–1004; discussion 1005. CrossRef
- Poultsides GA, Schulick RD, Pawlik TM. Hepatic resection for colorectal metastases: the impact of surgical margin status on outcome. HPB (Oxford). 2010 Feb;12(1):43–49. CrossRef
- Nordlinger B, Guiguet M, Vaillant JC, Balladur P, Boudjema K, Bachellier P, Jaeck D. Surgical resection of colorectal carcinoma metastases to the liver. A prognostic scoring system to improve case selection, based on 1568 patients. Association Francaise de Chirurgie. Cancer. 1996 Apr 1;77(7):1254–1262. CrossRef
- Sarmiento JM, Heywood G, Rubin J, Ilstrup DM, Nagorney DM, Que FG. Surgical treatment of neuroendocrine metastases to the liver: a plea for resection to increase survival. J Am Coll Surg. 2003 Jul;197(1):29–37. CrossRef
- Kavolius JP, Mastorakos DP, Pavlovich C, Russo P, Burt ME, Brady MS. Resection of metastatic renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 1998 Jun;16(6):2261–2266.
- Koizumi M, Sata N, Kasahara N, Morishima K, Sasanuma H, Sakuma Y, Shimizu A, Hyodo M, Yasuda Y. Remnant pancreatectomy for recurrent or metachronous pancreatic carcinoma detected by FDG-PET: two case reports. JOP. 2010;11(1):36–40.
- Dalla Valle R, Mancini C, Crafa P, Passalacqua R. Pancreatic carcinoma recurrence in the remnant pancreas after a pancreaticoduodenectomy. JOP. 2006;7(5):473–477.
- Miura F, Takada T, Amano H, Yoshida M, Isaka T, Toyota N, Wada K, Takagi K, Kato K. Repeated pancreatectomy after pancreatoduodenectomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2007 Feb;11(2):179–186. CrossRef
- Lavu H, Nowcid LJ, Klinge MJ, Mahendraraj K, Grenda DR, Sauter PK, Rosato EL, Kennedy EP, Yeo CJ. Reoperative completion pancreatectomy for suspected malignant disease of the pancreas. J Surg Res. 2011 Sep;170(1):89–95. CrossRef
- Hwang RF, Wang H, Lara A, Gomez H, Chang T, Sieffert N, Moon Y, Ram S, Zimmerman S, Lee JH, Pisters PW, Tamm EP, Fleming JB, Abbruzzese JL, Evans DB. Development of an integrated biospecimen bank and multidisciplinary clinical database for pancreatic cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 May;15(5):1356–1366. CrossRef
- Evans DB, Varadhachary GR, Crane CH, Sun CC, Lee JE, Pisters PW, Vauthey JN, Wang H, Cleary KR, Staerkel GA, Charnsangavej C, Lano EA, Ho L, Lenzi R, Abbruzzese JL, Wolff RA. Preoperative gemcitabine-based chemoradiation for patients with resectable adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Jul 20;26(21):3496–3502. CrossRef
- Staley CA, Cleary KR, Abbruzzese JL, Lee JE, Ames FC, Fenoglio CJ, Evans DB. The need for standardized pathologic staging of pancreaticoduodenectomy specimens. Pancreas. 1996 May;12(4):373–380. CrossRef
- Arnaoutakis GJ, Rangachari D, Laheru DA, Iacobuzio-Donahue CA, Hruban RH, Herman JM, Edil BH, Pawlik TM, Schulick RD, Cameron JL, Meneshian A, Yang SC, Wolfgang CL. Pulmonary resection for isolated pancreatic adenocarcinoma metastasis: an analysis of outcomes and survival. J Gastrointest Surg. 2011 Sep;15(9):1611–1617. CrossRef
- Kleeff J, Reiser C, Hinz U, Bachmann J, Debus J, Jaeger D, Friess H, Buchler MW. Surgery for recurrent pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg. 2007 Apr;245(4):566–572. CrossRef
- Blackmon SH, Shah N, Roth JA, Correa AM, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Hofstetter W, Walsh GL, Benjamin R, Pollock R, Swisher SG, Mehran R. Resection of pulmonary and extrapulmonary sarcomatous metastases is associated with long-term survival. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009 Sep;88(3):877–884; discussion 884–875. CrossRef
- Welter S, Jacobs J, Krbek T, Krebs B, Stamatis G. Long-term survival after repeated resection of pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007 Jul;84(1):203–210. CrossRef
- Artinyan A, Anaya DA, McKenzie S, Ellenhorn JD, Kim J. Neoadjuvant therapy is associated with improved survival in resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Cancer. 2011 May 15;117(10):2044–2049. CrossRef
- Selective Reoperation for Locally Recurrent or Metastatic Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma Following Primary Pancreatic Resection
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 16, Issue 9 , pp 1696-1704
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma
- Locoregional recurrence
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgical Oncology, Unit 444, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX, 77030, USA
- 2. Department of Biostatistics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 77030, USA
- 3. Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 77030, USA
- 4. Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 77030, USA
- 5. Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 77030, USA