Expression of Matrix Metalloproteinase-7 is an Unfavorable Prognostic Factor in Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma
Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (IHCC) is a highly malignant neoplasm, but the prognostic factors of IHCC are not yet fully understood. The matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are known to be related to tumor viability. The aim of this study was to evaluate the prognostic significance of clinicopathological and immunohistochemical characteristics of resected IHCC.
Patients and Methods
From 1996 to 2006, we surgically treated 35 patients with IHCC. Clinicopathological and immunohistochemical characteristics, including expression of MMPs, vascular endothelial growth factor, and epidermal growth factor receptor in the resected specimens, were investigated, and overall survival rates were evaluated with regard to the characteristics using univariate and multivariate analyses.
Univariate analysis revealed the significant prognostic factors to be preoperative serum CEA and CA19-9, intraoperative transfusion, tumor size, surgical margin, lymph node metastasis, invasion of portal and hepatic vein, intrahepatic metastasis, UICC stage, and expression of MMP-7. Subsequent multivariate analysis indicated that MMP-7 was an independent prognostic factor (hazard ratio (HR), 4.698; 95% confidence interval (CI), 0.057–0.866; P = 0.03) along with intrahepatic metastasis (HR, 5.694; 95% CI, 0.029–0.706; P = 0.017).
MMP-7 expression is associated with a poor prognosis in patients with resected IHCC.
- de Groen PC, Gores GJ, LaRusso NF, Gunderson LL, Nagorney DM. Biliary tract cancers. N Engl J Med 1999;341:1368–1378. CrossRef
- Roberts SK, Ludwig J, Larusso NF. The pathobiology of biliary epithelia. Gastroenterology 1997;112:269–279. CrossRef
- Blechacz B, Gores GJ. Cholangiocarcinoma: advances in pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. Hepatology 2008;48:308–321. CrossRef
- Blechacz BR, Gores GJ. Cholangiocarcinoma. Clin Liver Dis 2008;12:131–150. CrossRef
- Nathan H, Pawlik TM, Wolfgang CL, Choti MA, Cameron JL, Schulick RD. Trends in survival after surgery for cholangiocarcinoma: a 30-year population-based SEER database analysis. J Gastrointest Surg 2007;11:1488–1496. CrossRef
- Patel T. Increasing incidence and mortality of primary intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in the United States. Hepatology 2001;33:1353–1357. CrossRef
- Olnes MJ, Erlich R. A review and update on cholangiocarcinoma. Oncology 2004;66:167–179 CrossRef
- Egeblad M, Werb Z. New functions for the matrix metalloproteinases in cancer progression. Nat Rev Cancer 2002;2:161–174. CrossRef
- Garg P, Sarma D, Jeppsson S, Patel NR, Gewirtz AT, Merlin D, Sitaraman SV. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 functions as a tumor suppressor in colitis-associated cancer. Cancer Res 2010;70:792–801. CrossRef
- Werb Z. ECM and cell surface proteolysis: regulating cellular ecology. Cell 1997;91:439–442. CrossRef
- Miyazaki K, Hasegawa M, Funahashi K, Umeda M. A metalloproteinase inhibitor domain in Alzheimer amyloid protein precursor. Nature 1993;362:839–841. CrossRef
- Yu Q, Stamenkovic I. Cell surface-localized matrix metalloproteinase-9 proteolytically activates TGF-beta and promotes tumor invasion and angiogenesis. Genes Dev 2000;14:163–176.
- Li Q, Park PW, Wilson CL, Parks WC. Matrilysin shedding of syndecan-1 regulates chemokine mobilization and transepithelial efflux of neutrophils in acute lung injury. Cell 2002;111:635–646. CrossRef
- Ii M, Yamamoto H, Adachi Y, Maruyama Y, Shinomura Y. Role of matrix metalloproteinase-7 (matrilysin) in human cancer invasion, apoptosis, growth, and angiogenesis. Exp Biol Med 2006;231:20–27.
- Miyazaki K, Hattori Y, Umenishi F, Yasumitsu H, Umeda M. Purification and characterization of extracellular matrix-degrading metalloproteinase, matrin (pump-1), secreted from human rectal carcinoma cell line. Cancer Res 1990;50:7758–7764.
- Hasegawa S, Koshikawa N, Momiyama N, Moriyama K, Ichikawa Y, Ishikawa T, Mitsuhashi M, Shimada H, Miyazaki K. Matrilysin-specific antisense oligonucleotide inhibits liver metastasis of human colon cancer cells in a nude mouse model. Int J Cancer 1998;76:812–816. CrossRef
- Liver Cancer Study Group of Japan. General Rules for the Clinical and Pathological Study of Primary Liver Cancer, 2nd English edition. Tokyo: Kanehara, 2003.
- Murakami Y, Uemura K, Sudo T, Hashimoto Y, Nakashima A, Kondo N, Sakabe R, Ohge H, Sueda T. Prognostic factors after surgical resection for intrahepatic, hilar, and distal cholangiocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2011;18:651–658. CrossRef
- Li YY, Li H, Lv P, Liu G, Li XR, Tian BN, Chen DJ. Prognostic value of cirrhosis for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma after surgical treatment. J Gastrointest Surg 2011;15:608–613. CrossRef
- DeOliveira ML, Cunningham SC, Cameron JL, Kamangar F, Winter JM, Lillemoe KD, Choti MA, Yeo CJ, Schulick RD. Cholangiocarcinoma: thirty-one-year experience with 564 patients at a single institution. Ann Surg 2007;245:755–762. CrossRef
- Saxena A, Chua TC, Sarkar A, Chu F, Morris DL. Clinicopathologic and treatment-related factors influencing recurrence and survival after hepatic resection of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: a 19-year experience from an established Australian hepatobiliary unit. J Gastrointest Surg 2010;14:1128–1138. CrossRef
- Gruenberger B, Schueller J, Heubrandtner U, Wrba F, Tamandl D, Kaczirek K, Roka R, Freimann-Pircher S, Gruenberger T. Cetuximab, gemcitabine, and oxaliplatin in patients with unresectable advanced or metastatic biliary tract cancer: a phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11:1142–1148. CrossRef
- Ramanathan RK, Belani CP, Singh DA, Tanaka M, Lenz HJ, Yen Y, Kindler HL, Iqbal S, Longmate J, Mack PC, Lurje G, Gandour-Edwards R, Dancey J, Gandara DR. A phase II study of lapatinib in patients with advanced biliary tree and hepatocellular cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2009;64:777–783. CrossRef
- Philip PA, Mahoney MR, Allmer C, Thomas J, Pitot HC, Kim G, Donehower RC, Fitch T, Picus J, Erlichman C. Phase II study of erlotinib in patients with advanced biliary cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:3069–3074. CrossRef
- Zhu AX, Meyerhardt JA, Blaszkowsky LS, Kambadakone AR, Muzikansky A, Zheng H, Clark JW, Abrams TA, Chan JA, Enzinger PC, Bhargava P, Kwak EL, Allen JN, Jain SR, Stuart K, Horgan K, Sheehan S, Fuchs CS, Ryan DP, Sahani DV. Efficacy and safety of gemcitabine, oxaliplatin, and bevacizumab in advanced biliary-tract cancers and correlation of changes in 18-fluorodeoxyglucose PET with clinical outcome: a phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 2010;11:48–54. CrossRef
- Zhu AX, Hezel AF. Development of molecularly targeted therapies in biliary tract cancers: reassessing the challenges and opportunities. Hepatology 2011;53:695–704. CrossRef
- Valle J, Wasan H, Palmer DH, Cunningham D, Anthoney A, Maraveyas A, Madhusudan S, Iveson T, Hughes S, Pereira SP, Roughton M, Bridgewater J. Cisplatin plus gemcitabine versus gemcitabine for biliary tract cancer. N Engl J Med 2010;362:1273–1281. CrossRef
- Nelson AR, Fingleton B, Rothenberg ML, Matrisian LM. Matrix metalloproteinases: biologic activity and clinical implications. J. Clin. Oncol 2000;18:1135–1149.
- Stetler-Stevenson WG, Hewitt R, Corcoran M. Matrix metalloproteinases and tumor invasion: from correlation and causality to the clinic. Semin Cancer Biol 1996;7:147–154. CrossRef
- Hanahan D, Weinberg RA. The hallmarks of cancer. Cell 2000;100:57–70. CrossRef
- Sawey ET, Johnson JA, Crawford HC. Matrix metalloproteinase 7 controls pancreatic acinar cell transdifferentiation by activating the Notch signaling pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007;104:19327–19332. CrossRef
- Wang WS, Chen PM, Wang HS, Liang WY, Su Y. Matrix metalloproteinase-7 increases resistance to Fas-mediated apoptosis and is a poor prognostic factor of patients with colorectal carcinoma. Carcinogenesis 2006;27:1113–20. CrossRef
- Mylona E, Kapranou A, Mavrommatis J, Markaki S, Keramopoulos A, Nakopoulou L. The multifunctional role of the immunohistochemical expression of MMP-7 in invasive breast cancer. APMIS 2005;113:246–255. CrossRef
- Mimori K, Yamashita K, Ohta M, Yoshinaga K, Ishikawa K, Ishii H, Utsunomiya T, Barnard GF, Inoue H, Mori M. Coexpression of matrix metalloproteinase-7 (MMP-7) and epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor in colorectal cancer: an EGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor is effective against MMP-7-expressing cancer cells. Clin. Cancer Res 2004;10:8243–8249. CrossRef
- Kioi M, Yamamoto K, Higashi S, Koshikawa N, Fujita K, Miyazaki K. Matrilysin (MMP-7) induces homotypic adhesion of human colon cancer cells and enhances their metastatic potential in nude mouse model. Oncogene. 2003;22:8662–8670. CrossRef
- Tan X, Egami H, Ishikawa S, Sugita H, Kamohara H, Nakagawa M, Nozawa F, Abe M, Ogawa M. Involvement of matrix metalloproteinase-7 in invasion-metastasis through induction of cell dissociation in pancreatic cancer. Int J Oncol 2005;26;1283–1289.
- Leelawat K, Narong S, Wannaprasert J, Ratanashu-ek T. Prospective study of MMP7 serum levels in the diagnosis of cholangiocarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 2010;16:4697–4703. CrossRef
- Leelawat K, Sakchinabut S, Narong S, Wannaprasert J. Detection of serum MMP-7 and MMP-9 in cholangiocarcinoma patients: evaluation of diagnostic accuracy. BMC Gastroenterol 2009;9:30. CrossRef
- Itatsu K, Zen Y, Yamaguchi J, Ohira S, Ishikawa A, Ikeda H, Sato Y, Harada K, Sasaki M, Sasaki M, Sakamoto H, Nagino M, Nimura Y, Ohta T, Nakanuma Y. Expression of matrix metalloproteinase 7 is an unfavorable postoperative prognostic factor in cholangiocarcinoma of the perihilar, hilar, and extrahepatic bile ducts. Hum Pathol. 2008;39:710–719. CrossRef
- Miwa S, Miyagawa S, Soeda J, Kawasaki S. Matrix metalloproteinase-7 expression and biologic aggressiveness of cholangiocellular carcinoma. Cancer 2002;94:428–434. CrossRef
- Jo Chae K, Rha SY, Oh BK, Koo JS, Kim YJ, Choi J, Park C, Park YN. Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 and -2 in intraductal and nonintraductal growth type of cholangiocarcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol (2004) 99: 68–75. CrossRef
- Zhang C, Tu Z, Du S, Wang Y, Wang Q. Expression of matrix metalloproteinase 2 and extracellular matrix metalloproteinase inducer are unfavorable postoperative prognostic factors in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. Pathol Oncol Res 2010;16:47–53. CrossRef
- Hung CF, Lu KC, Cheng TL, Wu RH, Huang LY, Teng CF, Chang WT. A novel siRNA validation system for functional screening and identification of effective RNAi probes in mammalian cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;346:707–20. CrossRef
- Expression of Matrix Metalloproteinase-7 is an Unfavorable Prognostic Factor in Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 842-848
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Matrix metalloprotease
- Matrix metalloprotease-7
- Prognostic factor
- Industry Sectors