Gastrointestinal Image: A True Giant Transverse Colon Diverticulum
Giant colonic diverticulum is an extremely rare condition in colonic diverticular disease. More than 90% of giant colonic diverticula are found in the sigmoid colon. Inflammatory and pseudodiverticula are the most frequent. Only one case of a true diverticulum of the transverse colon has been reported in the literature.
We report a case of a 22-year-old woman presenting with constipation and meteorism from childhood. A plain abdominal X-ray showed a round radiolucent air-filled cyst. Barium enema revealed a single, large diverticulum of the transverse colon. An extended right hemicolectomy with primary end-to-end anastomosis was performed. The postoperative course was uneventful, and she was discharged in 1 week without any complications. Histopathology showed a true diverticulum containing all layers of the colon.
- Choong CK, Frizelle FA. Giant colonic diverticulum: report of four cases and review of the literature. Dis Colon Rectum 1998, 41: 1178–1185. CrossRef
- Steenvoorde P, Vogelaar FJ, Oskam J, Tollenaar RA. Giant colonic diverticula. Review of diagnostic and therapeutic options. Dig Surg 2004; 21: 1–6. CrossRef
- Hughes WL, Greene RC. Solitary air cyst of peritoneal cavity. AMA Arch Surg 1953; 67: 931–936.
- Custer TJ, Blevins DV, Vara TM. Giant colonic diverticulum: a rare manifestation of a common disease. J Gastrointest Surg. 1999; 3(5): 543–548. CrossRef
- Yoon SE, Lee YH, Yoon KH, Kim EA, Choi SS, Juhng SK, Yun KJ, Park WC. Complicated giant diverticulum of the transverse colon accompanied by right inguinal hernia of the greater omentum. Br J Radiol. 2007; 80(957): e201–e204. CrossRef
- Sagar S. Giant solitary diverticulum of the transverse colon with diverticulosis. Br J Clin Pract 1973; 27: 145–146.
- Wallers KJ. Giant diverticulum arising from the transverse colon of a patient with diverticulosis. Br J Radiol 1981; 54: 683–688. CrossRef
- Toiber-Levy M, Golffier-Rosete C, Martinez-Munive A, Baquera J, Stoppen ME, D’Hyver C, Quijano-Orvañanos F. Giant sigmoid diverticulum: case report and review of the literature. Gastroenterol Clin Biol 2008; 32: 581–584. CrossRef
- Gastrointestinal Image: A True Giant Transverse Colon Diverticulum
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 15, Issue 7 , pp 1289-1291
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Giant colonic diverticulum
- Transverse colon
- Congenital duplication
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Digestive Tract Surgery, Medical University of Silesia, Medyków 14 St, 40-752, Katowice, Poland
- 2. Department of Pathomorphology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
- 3. Department of Radiology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
- 4. Department of Gastroenterology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland