Impact on Dyslipidemia of the Laparoscopic Ileal Interposition Associated to Sleeve Gastrectomy in Type 2 Diabetic Patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Dyslipidemia is known to increase significantly the odds of major cardiovascular events in the general population. Its control becomes even more important in the type 2 diabetic (T2DM) population. Bariatric surgeries, especially gastric bypass, are effective in achieving long-term control of dyslipidemia in morbidly obese patients.
The objective of the study was to evaluate the control of dyslipidemia in patients with T2DM and BMI below 30 that were submitted to the laparoscopic ileal interposition associated to sleeve gastrectomy.
An observational transversal study was performed in a tertiary care hospital, between June 2005 and August 2007. Mean follow-up was 24.5 months (range 12–38). The procedure was performed in 72 patients: 51 were men and 21 were women. Mean age was 53.1 years (38–66). Mean BMI was 27 kg/m2 (22.1–29.4). Mean duration of T2DM was 10.5 years (3–22). Mean HbA1c was 8.5%. Hypercholesterolemia was diagnosed in 68% of the patients and hypertriglyceridemia in 63.9%.
Mean postoperative BMI was 21.2.kg/m2 (17–26.7). Mean postoperative HbA1c was 6.1%, ranging 4.4% to 8.3%. Overall, 86.1% of the patients achieved an adequate glycemic control (HbA1c < 7) without anti-diabetic medication. HbA1c below 6 was achieved by 50%, 36.1% had HbA1c between 6 and 7, and 13.9% had HbA1c above 7. Total hypercholesterolemia was normalized in 91.8% and hypertriglyceridemia in 89.1% of patients. Low-density lipoprotein below 100 mg/dl was seen in 85.7%.
The laparoscopic ileal interposition associated to sleeve gastrectomy was an effective operation for the regression of dyslipidemia and T2DM in a non-obese population.
- National Diabetes Data Group. Diabetes in America 2nd edition. Bethesda: NIH; 1995.
- Miller NE, Thelle DS, Forde OH, Mjos OD. (1977) The Tromso heart-study: high-density lipoprotein and coronary heart-disease: a prospective case-control study. Lancet 1:965–8. CrossRef
- Goldbourt U, Yaari S, Medalie JH. (1997) Isolated low HDL cholesterol as a risk factor for coronary heart disease mortality: a 21-year follow-up of 8000 men. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17:107–13
- Gordon DJ, Knoke J, Probstfield JL, Superko R, Tyroler HA. (1986) High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and coronary heart disease in hypercholesterolemic men: the Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial. Circulation 74:1217–25
- Sever PS, Dahlöf B, Poulter NR, Wedel H, Beevers G, Caulfield M, Collins R, Kjeldsen SE, Kristinsson A, McInnes GT, Mehlsen J, Nieminen M, O'Brien E, Ostergren J; ASCOT investigators. Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average or lower-than-average cholesterol concentrations, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial–Lipid Lowering Arm (ASCOT-LLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 361:1149–58. CrossRef
- Baigent C, Keech A, Kearney PM (2005) Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins. Lancet 366: 1267-78. [Erratum, Lancet 2005; 366:1358 CrossRef
- Hopkins PN, Heiss G, Ellison RC (2003) Coronary artery disease risk in familial combined hyperlipidemia and familial hypertriglyceridemia: a case-control comparison from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Family Heart Study.Circulation 108:519–23 CrossRef
- Hokanson JE, Austin MA. (1996) Plasma triglyceride level is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease independent of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level: a meta-analysis of population-based prospective studies. J Cardiovasc Risk 3:213–9. CrossRef
- Hickey MS, Pories WJ, MacDonald KG Jr, Cory KA, Dohm GL, Swanson MS,Israel RG, Barakat HA, Considine RV, Caro JF, Houmard JA (1998) A new paradigm for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus? Could it be a disease of the foregut? Ann Surg. 227:637–644 CrossRef
- Greenway SE, Greenway FL, Klein S (2002) Effects of obesity surgery on noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Arch Surg 137:1109–1117 CrossRef
- DePaula, AL, Macedo AL, Rassi N, Vencio S, Machado CA, Mota BR, Silva LQ, Halpern A, Schraibman V (2008) Laparoscopic treatment of metabolic syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Surg Endosc 22:2670–2678 CrossRef
- Executive Summary: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes (2009) Diabetes Care 32:S6–S12.
- Alexander CM, Landsman PB, Teutsch SM, Haffner SM; Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III); National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) (2003) NCEP-Defined Metabolic Syndrome, Diabetes, and Prevalence of Coronary Heart Disease Among NHANES III Participants Age 50 Years and Older
- DePaula AL, Macedo ALV, Rassi N, Machado CA, Schraibman V, Silva LQ, Halpern H (2008) Laparoscopic treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus for patients with a body mass index less than 35. Surg Endosc 22:706–16. CrossRef
- Zhou H, Yamada Y, Tsukiyama K, Miyawaki K, Hosokawa M, Nagashima K, Toyoda K, Naitoh R, Mizunoya W, Fushiki T, Kadowaki T, Seino Y (2005) Gastric inhibitory polypeptide modulates adiposity and fat oxidation under diminished insulin action. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communication 335:937–942 CrossRef
- Després JP, Lemieux I. (2006) Abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome. Nature 444:881–7. CrossRef
- Brunzell JD, Schrott HG, Motulsky AG, Bierman EL. (1976) Myocardial infarction in the familial forms of hypertriglyceridemia.Metabolism 25:313–20. CrossRef
- Gordon T, Castelli WP, Hjortland MC, Kannel WB, Dawber TR. (1977) High density lipoprotein as a protective factor against coronary heart disease: the Framingham Study. Am J Med 62:707–14 CrossRef
- Gotto AM Jr, Brinton EA. (2004) Assessing low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol as a risk factor in coronary heart disease: a working group report and update. J Am Coll Cardiol 43:717–24. CrossRef
- Nissen SE, Tuzcu EM, Schoenhagen P, Brown BG, Ganz P, Vogel RA, Crowe T, Howard G, Cooper CJ, Brodie B, Grines CL, DeMaria AN (2004) Effect of intensive compared with moderate lipid-lowering therapy on progression of coronary atherosclerosis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 291:1071–1080 CrossRef
- Tsuchiya T, Kalogeris TJ, Tso P (1996) Ileal transposition into the upper jejunum affects lipid and bile salt absorption in rats. Am J Physiol 271:G681–G691.
- Gaede P, Lund-Andersen H, Parving HH, Pedersen O (2008) Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 358:580–591. CrossRef
- Lindholm LD, Ibsen H, Dahlof B, Devereux RB, Beever G, de Faire U, Fyhrquist F, Julius S, Kjeldsen SE, Kristiansson K, Kederballe-Pedersen O, Niemine MS, Omvik P, Oparil S, Wedel H, Aurup P, Edelman J, Snapin S (2002) Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in patients with diabetes in the Losartan Intervention For Endpoint reduction in hypertension study (LIFE): a randomized trial against atenolol. Lancet 359:1004–1010. CrossRef
- DECODE Study Group. Lancet 1999; 354:617–21 CrossRef
- E Barrett-Connor andA Ferrara Isolated postchallenge hyperglycemia and the risk of fatal cardiovascular disease in older women and men. The Rancho Bernardo Study. Diabetes Care 1998; 21:1236–1239 CrossRef
- DePaula AL, Macedo ALV, Mota BR, Schraibman V. Laparoscopic ileal interposition associated to a diverted sleeve gastrectomy is an effective operation for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus patients with BMI 21-29. Surg Endosc (2009) 23: 1313–1320. CrossRef
- DePaula AL, Macedo ALV, Schraibman V, Mota BR, Vencio S. Hormonal evaluation following laparoscopic treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus patients with BMI 20–34. Surg Endosc (2009) 23: 1724–1732. CrossRef
- Kumar KV, Ugale S, Gupta N, Naik V, Kumar P, Bhaskar P, Modi KD. Ileal interposition with sleeve gastrectomy for control of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2009;11:785–9. CrossRef
- Impact on Dyslipidemia of the Laparoscopic Ileal Interposition Associated to Sleeve Gastrectomy in Type 2 Diabetic Patients
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 14, Issue 8 , pp 1319-1325
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Cardiovascular disease
- Ileal interposition
- Metabolic syndrome
- Metabolic surgery
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Hospital de Especialidades, Avenida 136, no. 961, 14º andar, Setor Marista, 74.093-250, Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil
- 2. Catholic University of Goias, Goiânia, Brazil
- 3. Department of Endocrinology, Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
- 4. Department of Endocrinology, Hospital de Especialidades, Goiânia, Brazil