Surgical Resection and Multidisciplinary Care for Primary and Metastatic Pancreatic Islet Cell Carcinomas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The role of multidisciplinary management of islet cell cancers (ICC) has not been fully investigated in a population-based setting.
The Los Angeles County Cancer Surveillance Program was assessed for patients with ICC between the years 1982 to 2006. Patients were stratified by treatment received and clinicopathologic characteristics and survival were compared.
We identified 236 patients with ICC; 86 patients underwent curative-intent surgery with median survival for local, regional, and distant disease of 17.3, 12.2, and 4.0 years, respectively. In comparison, 102 patients underwent medical management alone; survival was significantly shorter when compared to the surgical cohort for local, regional, and distant disease (p < 0.05). To determine whether adjuvant chemotherapy was associated with improved survival, we compared patients who underwent surgery alone compared to patients who underwent surgery followed by adjuvant chemotherapy. Although patients with metastatic disease had 3-year longer survival with adjuvant chemotherapy, these improvements in survival were not statistically significant.
Surgical resection was associated with improved survival compared to medical management for any extent of disease in patients with ICC. Furthermore, adjuvant chemotherapy was not associated with survival but does warrant further examination in patients with metastatic disease.
- Capelli P, Martigoni G, Pedica F, Falconi M, Antonello D, Malpeli G, Scarpa A. Endocrine neoplasms of the pancreas: pathologic and genetic factors. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2009;133(3):350–364.
- O’Grady HL, Conlon KC. Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours. EJSO 2008;34(3):324–332.
- Ehehalt F, Saeger H, Schmidt M, Grutzmann R. Neuroendocrine tumors of the Pancreas. Oncologist 2009;14(5):456–467. CrossRef
- Hochwald S, Zee S, Conlon K, Colleoni R, Louie O, Brennan M, Klimstra D. Prognostic factors in pancreatic endocrine neoplasms: an analysis of 136 cases with a proposal for low-grade and intermediate-grade groups. J Clin Oncol 2002;20(11):2633–2642. CrossRef
- Abood G, Go A, Malhotra D, Shoup M. The surgical and systematic management of neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas. Surg Clin North Am 2009;89(1):249–266. CrossRef
- Fischer L, Kleeff J, Esposito I, Hinz U, Zimmermann A, Friess H, Bulcher M. Clinical outcome and long term survival in 118 consecutive patients with neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas. Br J Surg 2008;95(5):627–635. CrossRef
- Schurr P, Strate T, Rese K, Kaifi J, Reichelt U, Petri S, Kleinhans H, Yekebas E, Izbicki J. Aggressive surgery improves long-term survival in neuroendocrine pancreatic tumours: an institutional experience. Ann Surg 2007;245(2):273–281. CrossRef
- Teh S, Deveney C, Sheppard B. Aggressive pancreatic resection for primary pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor: is it justifiable? Am J Surg 2007;193(5):610–613. CrossRef
- You DD, Lee HG, Pail HG, Heo JS, Choi SH, Choi DW. The outcomes after surgical resection in pancreatic endocrine tumors: an institutional experience. EJSO 2009;35(7):728–733.
- Nguyen S, Angel L, Divino C, Schluender S, Warner R. Surgery in malignant pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. J Surg Oncol 2007;96(5):397–403. CrossRef
- Hodul P, Strosberg J, Kvols L. Aggressive surgical resection in the management of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: when is it indicated? Cancer Control 2008;15(4):314–321.
- Yao J, Eisner M, Leary C, Dagohoy C, Phan A, Rashid A, Hassan M, Evans D. Population-based study of islet cell carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2007;14(12):3492–3500. CrossRef
- Chamberlain R, Canes D, Brown K, Saltz L, Jarnagin W, Fong Y, Blumgart L. Hepatic neuroendocrine metastases: does intervention alter outcomes? J Am Coll Surg 2000;190(4):432–445. CrossRef
- Kim J, Sun C, Mailey B, Prendergast C, Artinyan A, Bhatia S, Pigazzi A, Ellenhorn J. Race and ethnicity correlate with survival in patients with gastric adenocarcinoma. Ann Oncol 2010;21:152–160. CrossRef
- Bettini R, Boninsegna L, Mantovani W, Capelli P, Bassi C, Pederzoli P, Delle Fave G, Panzuto F, Scarpa A, Falconi M. Prognostic factors at diagnosis and value of WHO classification in a mono-institutional series of 180 non-functioning pancreatic endocrine tumors. Ann Oncol 2008;13(5):903–908. CrossRef
- Liang H, Wang P, Wang X, Wang J, Hao X. Management of nonfunctioning islet cell tumors. World J Gastroenterol 2004;10(12):1806–1809.
- Hill J, McPhee J, McDade T, Zhou Z, Sullivan M, Whalen G, Tseng J. Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: the impact of surgical resection on survival. Cancer 2009;115(4):741–751. CrossRef
- Bilimoria K, Talamonti M, Tomlinson J, Stewart A, Winchester D, Ko C, Bentrem D. Prognostic score predicting survival after resection of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: analysis of 3851 patients. Ann Surg 2008;247(3):490–500. CrossRef
- Chung J, Choi D, Jo S, Heo J, Choi S, Kim Y. Malignant nonfunctioning endocrine tumors of the pancreas: predictive factors for survival after surgical treatment. World J Surg 2007;31(3):579–585. CrossRef
- Bettini R, Mantovani W, Boninsegna L, Crippa S, Capelli P, Bassi C, Scarpa A, Pederzoli P, Falconi M. Primary tumour resection in metastatic nonfunctioning pancreatic endocrine carcinomas. Dig Liver Dis 2009;41(1):49–55. CrossRef
- Bloomston M, Muscarella P, Shah M, Frankel W, Al-Saif O, Martin E, Ellison E. Cytoreduction results in high perioperative mortality and decreased survival in patients undergoing pancreatectomy for neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas. J Gastrointest Surg 2006;10(10):1361–1370. CrossRef
- House M, Cameron J, Lillemoe K, Schulick R, Choti M, Hansel D, Hruban R, Maitra A, Yeo C. Differences in survival for patients with resectable versus unresectable metastases from pancreatic islet cell cancer. J Gastrointest Surg 2006;10(1):138–145. CrossRef
- Norton J, Warren R, Kelly M, Zuraek M, Jensen R. Aggressive surgery for metastatic liver neuroendocrine tumors. Surgery 2003;134(6):1057–1063. CrossRef
- Kaltsas G, Besser M, Grossman A. The diagnosis and management of advanced neuroendocrine tumors. Endocrine Rev 2004;25(3):458–511. CrossRef
- Oberg K. Chemotherapy and biotherapy in the treatment of neuroendocrine tumors. Ann Oncol 2001;12(S2):S111–S114. CrossRef
- Strosberg J, Kvols L. A review of the current clinical trials for gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumours. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2007;16(2):219–214. CrossRef
- Maire F, Hammel P, Kianmanesh R, Hentic O, Couvelard A, Rebours V, Zappa M, Raymond E, Sauvanet A, Louvet C, Levy P, Belghiti J, Ruszniewski P. Is adjuvant therapy with streptozotocin and 5-fluorouracil useful after resection of liver metastases from digestive endocrine tumors? Surgery 2009;145(1):69–75. CrossRef
- Frank M, Klose K, Wied M, Ishaque N, Schade-Brittinger C, Arnold R. Combination therapy with octreotide and α-interferon: effect of tumor growth in metastatic endocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors. Am J Gastroenterol 1999;94(5):1381–1387.
- Delaunoit T, Rubin J, Neczyporenko F, Erlichman C, Hobday T. Somatostatin analogues in the treatment of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Mayo Clin Proc 2005;80(4):502–506. CrossRef
- Faiss S, Pape U, Bohmig M, Dorffel Y, Mansmann U, Golder W, Riecken E, Wiedenmann B, International Lanreotide and Interferon Alfa Study Group. Prospective, randomized, multicenter trial on the antiproliferative effect of lanreotide, interferon alfa, and their combination for therapy of metastatic neuroendocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors—the International Lanreotide and Interferon Alfa Study Group. J Clin Oncol 2003;21(14):2689–2696. CrossRef
- Surgical Resection and Multidisciplinary Care for Primary and Metastatic Pancreatic Islet Cell Carcinomas
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 14, Issue 11 , pp 1796-1803
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Islet cell carcinoma
- Pancreatic resection
- Multimodality therapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Oncologic Surgery, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1500 East Duarte Road, Duarte, CA, 91010, USA
- 2. Michael E. Debakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA