Extended Pancreaticoduodenectomy with Vascular Resection for Pancreatic Cancer: A Systematic Review
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This systematic review objectively evaluates the safety and outcomes of extended pancreaticoduodenectomy with vascular resection for pancreatic cancer involving critical adjacent vessels namely the superior mesenteric-portal veins, hepatic artery, superior mesenteric artery, and celiac axis.
Electronic searches were performed on two databases from January 1995 to August 2009. The end points were: firstly, to evaluate the safety through reporting the mortality rate and associated complications and, secondly, the outcome by reporting the survival after surgery. This was synthesized through a narrative review with full tabulation of results of all included studies.
Twenty-eight retrospective studies comprising of 1,458 patients were reviewed. Vein thrombosis and arterial involvement were reported as contraindications to surgery in 62% and 71% of studies, respectively. The median mortality rate was 4% (range, 0% to 17%). The median R0 and R1 rates were 75% (range, 14% to 100%) and 25% (range, 0% to 86%), respectively. In high volume centers, the median survival was 15 months (range, 9 to 23 months). Nine of 10 (90%) studies comparing the survival after extended pancreaticoduodenectomy with vascular resection versus standard pancreaticoduodenectomy reported statistically similar (p > 0.05) survival outcomes. Undertaking vascular resection was not associated with a poorer survival.
The morbidity, mortality, and survival outcome after undertaking extended pancreaticoduodenectomy with vascular resection for pancreatic cancer with venous involvement and/or limited arterial involvement is acceptable in the setting of an expert referral center and should not be a contraindication to a curative surgery.
- Oettle H, Post S, Neuhaus P, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy with gemcitabine vs observation in patients undergoing curative-intent resection of pancreatic cancer: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2007;297:267–277. CrossRef
- Ueno H, Kosuge T, Matsuyama Y, et al. A randomised phase III trial comparing gemcitabine with surgery-only in patients with resected pancreatic cancer: Japanese Study Group of adjuvant therapy for pancreatic cancer. Br J Cancer 2009;101:908–915. CrossRef
- Klinkenbijl JH, Jeekel J, Sahmoud T, et al. Adjuvant radiotherapy and 5-fluorouracil after curative resection of cancer of the pancreas and periampullary region: phase III trial of the EORTC gastrointestinal tract cancer cooperative group.[see comment]. Ann Surg 1999;230:776–782; discussion 782–774.
- Louvet C, Labianca R, Hammel P, et al. Gemcitabine in combination with oxaliplatin compared with gemcitabine alone in locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic cancer: results of a GERCOR and GISCAD phase III trial. J Clin Oncology 2005;23:3509–3516. CrossRef
- Chauffert B, Mornex F, Bonnetain F, et al. Phase III trial comparing intensive induction chemoradiotherapy (60 Gy, infusional 5-FU and intermittent cisplatin) followed by maintenance gemcitabine with gemcitabine alone for locally advanced unresectable pancreatic cancer. Definitive results of the 2000-01 FFCD/SFRO study. Ann Oncol 2008;19:1592–1599. CrossRef
- Fortner JG. Regional resection of cancer of the pancreas: a new surgical approach. Surgery 1973;73:307–320.
- Michalski CW, Kleeff J, Wente MN, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of standard and extended lymphadenectomy in pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer. Br J Surg 2007;94:265–273. CrossRef
- Farnell MB, Pearson RK, Sarr MG, et al. A prospective randomized trial comparing standard pancreatoduodenectomy with pancreatoduodenectomy with extended lymphadenectomy in resectable pancreatic head adenocarcinoma. Surgery 2005;138:618–628; discussion 628–630.
- House MG, Gonen M, Jarnagin WR, et al. Prognostic significance of pathologic nodal status in patients with resected pancreatic cancer. J Gastroint Surg 2007;11:1549–1555. CrossRef
- Merchant NB, Rymer J, Koehler EAS, et al. Adjuvant chemoradiation therapy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: who really benefits? J Am Coll Surg 2009;208:829–838; discussion 838–841.
- Siriwardana HPP, Siriwardena AK. Systematic review of outcome of synchronous portal-superior mesenteric vein resection during pancreatectomy for cancer.[see comment]. Br J Surg 2006;93:662–673. CrossRef
- Ramacciato G, Mercantini P, Petrucciani N, Giaccaglia V, Nigri G, Ravaioli M, Cescon M, Cucchetti A, Del Gaudio M. Does portal-superior mesenteric vein invasion still indicate irresectability for pancreatic carcinoma? Ann Surg Oncol 2009;16(4):817–825
- Al-Haddad M, Martin JK, Nguyen J, et al. Vascular resection and reconstruction for pancreatic malignancy: a single center survival study. J Gastrointest Surg 2007;11:1168–1174. CrossRef
- Bachellier P, Nakano H, Oussoultzoglou PD, et al. Is pancreaticoduodenectomy with mesentericoportal venous resection safe and worthwhile? Am J Surg 2001;182:120–129. CrossRef
- Capussotti L, Massucco P, Ribero D, et al. Extended lymphadenectomy and vein resection for pancreatic head cancer: outcomes and implications for therapy. Arch Surg 2003;138:1316–1322. CrossRef
- Carrere N, Sauvanet A, Goere D, et al. Pancreaticoduodenectomy with mesentericoportal vein resection for adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. World J Surg 2006;30:1526–1535. CrossRef
- Howard TJ, Villanustre N, Moore SA, et al. Efficacy of venous reconstruction in patients with adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head. J Gastrointest Surg 2003;7:1089–1095. CrossRef
- Illuminati G, Carboni F, Lorusso R, et al. Results of a pancreatectomy with a limited venous resection for pancreatic cancer. Surg Today 2008;38:517–523. CrossRef
- Kaneoka Y, Yamaguchi A, Isogai M. Portal or superior mesenteric vein resection for pancreatic head adenocarcinoma: prognostic value of the length of venous resection. Surgery 2009;145:417–425. CrossRef
- Koniaris LG, Staveley-O’Carroll KF, Zeh HJ, et al. Pancreaticoduodenectomy in the presence of superior mesenteric venous obstruction. J Gastrointest Surg 2005;9:915–921. CrossRef
- Li B, Chen FZ, Ge XH, et al. Pancreatoduodenectomy with vascular reconstruction in treating carcinoma of the pancreatic head. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2004;3:612–615.
- Martin RCG 2nd, Scoggins CR, Egnatashvili V, et al. Arterial and venous resection for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: operative and long-term outcomes. Arch Surg 2009;144:154–159. CrossRef
- Muller SA, Hartel M, Mehrabi A, et al. Vascular resection in pancreatic cancer surgery: survival determinants. J Gastrointest Surg 2009;13:784–792. CrossRef
- Poon RT, Fan ST, Lo CM, et al. Pancreaticoduodenectomy with En Bloc Portal Vein Resection for pancreatic carcinoma with suspected portal vein involvement. World J Surg 2004;28:602–608. CrossRef
- Riediger H, Makowiec F, Fischer E, et al. Postoperative morbidity and long-term survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy with superior mesenterico-portal vein resection. J Gastrointest Surg 2006;10:1106–1115. CrossRef
- Shibata C, Kobari M, Tsuchiya T, et al. Pancreatectomy combined with superior mesenteric-portal vein resection for adenocarcinoma in pancreas. World J Surg 2001;25:1002–1005. CrossRef
- Shimada K, Sano T, Sakamoto Y, Kosuge T. Clinical implications of combined portal vein resection as a palliative procedure in patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic head carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2006;13:1569–1578. CrossRef
- Tseng JF, Raut CP, Lee JE, et al. Pancreaticoduodenectomy with vascular resection: margin status and survival duration. J Gastrointest Surg 2004;8:935–949; discussion 949–950.
- van Geenen RC, ten Kate FJ, de Wit LT, et al. Segmental resection and wedge excision of the portal or superior mesenteric vein during pancreatoduodenectomy. Surgery 2001;129:158–163. CrossRef
- Wang C, Wu H, Xiong J, et al. Pancreaticoduodenectomy with vascular resection for local advanced pancreatic head cancer: a single center retrospective study. J Gastrointest Surg 2008;12:2183–2190. CrossRef
- Yekebas EF, Bogoevski D, Cataldegirmen G, et al. En bloc vascular resection for locally advanced pancreatic malignancies infiltrating major blood vessels: perioperative outcome and long-term survival in 136 patients. Ann Surg 2008;247:300–309. CrossRef
- Zhou GW, Wu WD, Xiao WD, et al. Pancreatectomy combined with superior mesenteric-portal vein resection: report of 32 cases. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2005;4:130–134.
- Jain S, Sacchi M, Vrachnos P, Lygidakis NJ. Carcinoma of the pancreas with portal vein involvement - our experience with a modified technique of resection. Hepatogastroenterology 2005;52:1596–1600.
- Kawada M, Kondo S, Okushiba S, et al. Reevaluation of the indications for radical pancreatectomy to treat pancreatic carcinoma: is portal vein infiltration a contraindication? Surg Today 2002;32:598–601. CrossRef
- Nakao A, Takeda S, Inoue S, et al. Indications and techniques of extended resection for pancreatic cancer. World J Surg 2006;30:976–982; discussion 983–974.
- Roder JD, Stein HJ, Siewert JR. Carcinoma of the periampullary region: who benefits from portal vein resection? Am J Surg 1996;171:170–174; discussion 174–175.
- Stitzenberg KB, Watson JC, Roberts A, et al. Survival after pancreatectomy with major arterial resection and reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol 2008;15:1399–1406. CrossRef
- Launois B, Stasik C, Bardaxoglou E, et al. Who benefits from portal vein resection during pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer? World J Surg 1999;23:926–929. CrossRef
- Nakagohri T, Kinoshita T, Konishi M, et al. Survival benefits of portal vein resection for pancreatic cancer. Am J Surg 2003;186:149–153. CrossRef
- Harrison LE, Klimstra DS, Brennan MF. Isolated portal vein involvement in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. A contraindication for resection? Ann Surg 1996;224:342–347; discussion 347–349.
- Cameron JL, Riall TS, Coleman J, Belcher KA. One thousand consecutive pancreaticoduodenectomies. Ann Surg 2006;244:10–15. CrossRef
- Wilentz RE, Hruban RH. Pathology of cancer of the pancreas. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 1998;7:43–65.
- Extended Pancreaticoduodenectomy with Vascular Resection for Pancreatic Cancer: A Systematic Review
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 14, Issue 9 , pp 1442-1452
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Postoperative complication
- Pancreatic cancer
- Whipple’s operation
- Roux-en-Y anastomosis
- Vascular procedures
- Industry Sectors