Post-cholecystectomy Quality of Life: A Prospective Multicenter Cohort Study of Its Associations with Preoperative Functional Status and Patient Demographics
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study analyzed patient demographics and preoperative functional status for associations with post-cholecystectomy quality of life (QOL).
This prospective study analyzed 159 cholecystectomy patients at two tertiary academic hospitals. All patients completed the SF-36 and the gastrointestinal quality of life index (GIQLI) at baseline and at 3 and 6 months postoperatively. The 95% confidence intervals for differences in responsiveness estimates were derived by bootstrap estimation. Scores derived by these instruments were interpreted by generalized estimating equation (GEE) before and after cholecystectomy.
The examined population significantly (p < 0.05) improved in both SF-36 subscales and GIQLI subscales. After adjusting for time effects (time, and time2) and baseline predictors, GEE approaches revealed the following explanatory variables for QOL: time, time2, age, gender, preoperative GIQLI score, body mass index, and number of comorbidities.
The data revealed dramatically improved post-cholecystectomy QOL. However, QOL change was simultaneously associated with preoperative functional status and demographic characteristics.
- Besselink MG, Venneman NG, Go PM et al. Is complicated gallstone disease preceded by biliary colic? J Gastrointest Surg 2009;13:312–317. CrossRef
- Mertens MC, De Vries J, Scholtes VP et al. Prospective 6 weeks follow-up post-cholecystectomy: the predictive value of pre-operative symptoms. J Gastrointest Surg 2009;13:304–311. CrossRef
- Hogan AM, Hoti E, Winter DC et al. Quality of life after iatrogenic bile duct injury: a case control study. Ann Surg 2009;249:292–295.
- Avgerinos C, Kelgiorgi D, Touloumis Z et al. One thousand laparoscopic cholecystectomies in a single surgical unit using the “critical view of safety” technique. J Gastrointest Surg 2009;13:498–503. CrossRef
- Carbonell AM, Lincourt AE, Kercher KW. Do patient or hospital demographics predict cholecystectomy outcomes? A nationwide study of 93,578 patients. Surg Endosc 2005;19:767–773. CrossRef
- Quintana JM, Arostegui I, Oribe V et al. Influence of age and gender on quality-of-life outcomes after cholecystectomy. Qual Life Res 2005;14:815–825. CrossRef
- Mahid SS, Polk HC Jr, Lewis JN et al. Opportunities for improved performance in surgical specialty practice. Ann Surg 2008;247:380–388. CrossRef
- Gurusamy K, Junnarkar S, Farouk M et al. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on the safety and effectiveness of day-case laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Br J Surg 2008;95:161–168. CrossRef
- Halldestam I, Kullman E, Borch K. Defined indications for elective cholecystectomy for gallstone disease. Br J Surg 2008;95:620–626. CrossRef
- Csikesz NG, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Trends in surgical management for acute cholecystitis. Surgery 2008;144:283–289. CrossRef
- Zeger SL, Liang KY. Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes. Biometrics 1986;42:121–130. CrossRef
- Shi HY, Lee HH, Chiu CC, Chiu HC, Uen YH, Lee KT. Responsiveness and minimal clinically important differences after cholecystectomy: GIQLI Versus SF-36. J Gastrointest Surg 2008;12:1275–1282. CrossRef
- Velanovich V. Using quality-of-life measurements in clinical practice. Surgery 2007;141:127–133. CrossRef
- Tseng HM, Lu JF, Gandek B. Cultural issues in using the SF-36 Health Survey in Asia: results from Taiwan. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2003;1:72–80. CrossRef
- Russell RT, Feurer ID, Wisawatapnimit P, Salomon RM, Pinson CW. The effects of physical quality of life, time, and gender on change in symptoms of anxiety and depression after liver transplantation. J Gastrointest Surg 2008;12:138–144. CrossRef
- Yeung SM, Shiu AT, Martin CR et al. Translation and validation of the Chinese version of the gastrointestinal quality of life index in patients with gastric tumor. J Psychosom Res 2006;61:469–477. CrossRef
- Kazis LE, Anderson JJ, Meenan RF. Effect sizes for interpreting changes in health status. Med Care 1989;27:178–189. CrossRef
- Effron B, Tibshirani RJ. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. New York: Chapman and Hall, 1993.
- Thaler K, Dinnewitzer A, Mascha E et al. Long-term outcome and health-related quality of life after laparoscopic and open colectomy for benign disease. Surg Endosc 2003;17:1404–1408. CrossRef
- Bitzer EM, Lorenz C, Nickel S et al. Assessing patient-reported outcomes of cholecystectomy in short-stay surgery. Surg Endosc 2008;22:2712–2719. CrossRef
- Rosner B, Muñoz A, Tager I et al. The use of an autoregressive model for the analysis of longitudinal data in epidemiologic studies. Stat Med 1985;4:457–467. CrossRef
- Solomon DH, Losina E, Baron JA et al. Contribution of hospital characteristics to the volume–outcome relationship: dislocation and infection following total hip replacement surgery. Arthritis Rheum 2002;46:2436–2444. CrossRef
- Post-cholecystectomy Quality of Life: A Prospective Multicenter Cohort Study of Its Associations with Preoperative Functional Status and Patient Demographics
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 13, Issue 9 , pp 1651-1658
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Graduate Institute of Healthcare Administration, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100, Shih-Chuan 1st Road, 80756, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 2. Division of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Department of Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, 100, Zihyou 1st Road, 807, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 3. Department of General Surgery, Chi Mei Medical Center, 201, Taikang Village, Liou Ying Township, 736, Tainan, Taiwan
- 6. Department of Computer Science, National Pingtung University of Education, 4-18, Ming Shen Road, 900, Pingtung, Taiwan
- 4. Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan, Taiwan
- 5. Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan