Small Pancreatic and Periampullary Neuroendocrine Tumors: Resect or Enucleate?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to compare the outcomes of enucleation versus resection in patients with small pancreatic, ampullary, and duodenal neuroendocrine tumors (NETs).
Multi-institutional retrospective review identified all patients with pancreatic and peri-pancreatic NETs who underwent surgery from January 1990 to October 2008. Patients with tumors ≤3 cm and without nodal or metastatic disease were included.
Of the 271 patients identified, 122 (45%) met the inclusion criteria and had either an enucleation (n = 37) and/or a resection (n = 87). Enucleated tumors were more likely to be in the pancreatic head (P = 0.003) or functioning (P < 0.0001) and, when applicable, less likely to result in splenectomy (P = 0.0003). The rate of pancreatic fistula formation was higher after enucleation (P < 0.01), but the fistula severity tended to be worse following resection (P = 0.07). The enucleation and resection patients had similar operative times, blood loss, overall morbidity, mortality, hospital stay, and 5-year survival. However, for pancreatic head tumors, enucleation resulted in decreased blood loss, operative time, and length of stay compared to pancreaticoduodenectomy (P < 0.05).
These data suggest that most outcomes of enucleation and resection for small pancreatic and peri-pancreatic NETs are comparable. However, enucleation has better outcomes than pancreaticoduodenectomy for head lesions and the advantage of preserving splenic function for tail lesions.
- Nicholls AG. Simple adenoma of the pancreas arising from an island of Langerhans. J Med Res 1902;8:385–395.
- Capella C, Heitz PU, Hoefler H et al. Revised classification of neuroendocrine tumors of the lung, pancreas, and gut. Virchows Arch 1995;425:547–560. CrossRef
- Klöppel G, Perren A, Heitz PU. The gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine cell system and its tumors: the WHO classification. Ann NY Acad Sci 2004;1014:13–27. CrossRef
- Klöppel G, Coulevard A, Perren A, et al. ENETs guidelines for the standards of care in patients with neuroendocrine tumors: towards a standardized approach to the diagnosis of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors and their prognostic stratification. Neuroendocrinology. In press. Epub ahead of print on December 5, 2008.
- Rindi G, Klöppel G, Alhman H et al. TNM staging of foregut (neuro)endocrine tumors: a consensus proposal including grading system. Virchows Arch 2006;449:395–401. CrossRef
- Bilimoria KY, Talamonti MS, Tomlinson JS et al. Prognostic score predicting survival after resection of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: analysis of 3851 patients. Ann Surg 2008;247(3):490–500. CrossRef
- Halfdanarson TR, Rabe KG, Rubin J, Peterson GM. Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (PNETs): incidence in prognosis and recent trend toward improved survival. Ann Onc 2008;19(10):1727–1733. CrossRef
- LaRosa S, Klersy C, Uccella S et al. Improved histologic and clinicopathologic criteria for evaluation of pancreatic endocrine tumors. Human Pathol 2009;40:30–40. CrossRef
- Yeo CJ, Wang BH, Anthone GJ, Cameron JL. Surgical experience with pancreatic islet-cell tumors. Arch Surg 1993;128:1143–1148.
- Howland G, Campbell WR, Maltby EJ, Robinson WL. Dysinsulinism: convulsions and coma due to islet cell tumor of the pancreas, with operation and cure. JAMA 1929;93:674–679.
- Lillemoe KD, Kaushal S, Cameron JL, Sohn TA, Pitt HA, Yeo CJ. Distal pancreatectomy: indications and outcomes in 235 patients. Ann Surg 1999;229:693–698. CrossRef
- Yeo CJ, Cameron JL, Sohn TA, Lillemoe KD, Pitt HA, Talamini MA, Hruban RH, Ord SE, Sauter PK, Coleman J, Zahurak ML, Grochow LB, Abrams RA. Six hundred fifty consecutive pancreaticoduodenectomies in the 1990s: pathology, complications, and outcomes. Ann Surg 1997;226:248–257. CrossRef
- Bilimoria KY, Tomlinson JS, Merkow RP et al. Clinicopathologic features and treatment trends in pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: analysis of 9,821 patients. J Gastrointest Surg 2007;11:1460–1467. (discussion 1467–1469). CrossRef
- Bassi C, Dervenis C, Butturini G et al. Postoperative pancreatic fistula: an international study group (ISGPF) definition. Surgery 2005;138(1):8–13. CrossRef
- Kaplan E, Meier P. Non parametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc 1958;53:457–481. CrossRef
- Kouvaraki MA, Solorzano CC, Shapiro SE, Yao JC, Perrier ND, Lee JE, Evans DB. Surgical treatment of non-functioning pancreatic islet cell tumors. J Surg Oncol. 2005;89:170–185. CrossRef
- Phan GQ, Yeo CJ, Cameron JL, Maher MM, Hruban RH, Udelsman R. Pancreaticoduodenectomy for selected periampullary neuroendocrine tumors: fifty patients. Surgery 1997;122:989–996. CrossRef
- Park BJ, Alexander HR, Libutti SK, Huang J, Royalty D, Skarulis MC, Jensen RT, Gorden P, Doppman JL, Shawker TH, Fraker DL, Norton JA, Bartlett DL. Operative management of islet-cell tumors arising in the head of the pancreas. Surgery. 1998;124:1056–1061. CrossRef
- Christein JD, Smoot RL, Farnell MB. Central pancreatectomy: a technique for the resection of pancreatic neck lesions. Arch Surg 2006;141(3):293–299. CrossRef
- Lavu H, Knuth JL, Baker MS et al. Middle segment pancreatectomy can be safely incorporated into a pancreatic surgeon’s clinical practice. HPB (Oxford) 2008;10(6):491–497.
- Assalia A, Gagner M. Laparoscopic pancreatic surgery for islet cell tumors of the pancreas. World J Surg 2004;28(12):1239–1247. CrossRef
- Fernández-Cruz L, Blanco L, Cosa R, Rendón H. Is laparoscopic resection adequate in patients with neuroendocrine pancreatic tumors. World J Surg 2008;32(5):904–917. CrossRef
- Luo Y, Liu R, Hu MG, Mu YM, An LC, Huang ZQ. Laparoscopic surgery for pancreatic insulinomas: a single-institution experience of 29 cases. J Gastrointest Surg 2009 May;13(5):945–950. CrossRef
- Sarmiento JM, Farnell MB, Que FG, Nagorney DM. Pancreaticoduodenectomy for islet cell tumors of the head of the pancreas: long-term survival analysis. World J Surg 2002;26:1267–1271. CrossRef
- Balzano G, Zerbi A, Veronesi P, Cristallo M, Di Carlo V. Surgical treatment of benign and borderline neoplasms of the pancreatic body. Dig Surg. 2003;20:506–510. CrossRef
- Dralle H, Krohn SL, Karges W, Boehm BO, Brauckhoff M, Gimm O. Surgery of resectable nonfunctioning neuroendocrine pancreatic tumors. World J Surg 2004;28:1248–1260. CrossRef
- Kiely JM, Nakeeb A, Komorowski RA, Wilson SD, Pitt HA. Cystic pancreatic neoplasms: enucleate or resect. J Gastrointest Surg 2003;7:890–897. CrossRef
- Talamini MA, Moesinger R, Yeo CJ, Poulose B, Hruban RH, Cameron JL, Pitt HA. Cystadenomas of the pancreas: is enucleation an adequate operation. Ann Surg 1998;227:896–903. CrossRef
- Shimizu S, Tanaka M, Konomi H, Mizumoto K, Yamaguchi K. Laparoscopic pancreatic surgery: current indications and surgical results. Surg Endosc 2004;18:402–406. CrossRef
- Kooby DA, Gillespie T, Bentrem D et al. Left-sided pancreatectomy: a multicenter comparison of laparoscopic and open approaches. Ann Surg 2008;248(3):438–446.
- Phan GQ, Yeo CJ, Hruban RH, Lillemoe KD, Pitt HA, Cameron JL. Surgical experience with pancreatic and peripancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: review of 125 patients. J Gastrointest Surg 1998;2:472–482. CrossRef
- Touzios JG, Kiely JM, Pitt SC, Rilling WS, Quebbeman EJ, Wilson SD, Pitt HA. Neuroendocrine hepatic metastases: does aggressive management improve survival. Ann Surg 2005;241:776–783. CrossRef
- Wiedenmann B, Jensen RT, Mignon M, Modlin CI, Skogseid B, Doherty G, Oberg K. Preoperative diagnosis and surgical management of neuroendocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors: general recommendations by a consensus workshop. World J Surg 1998;22:309–318. CrossRef
- Ahrendt SA, Komorowski RA, Demeure MJ, Wilson SD, Pitt HA. Cystic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: is preoperative diagnosis possible. J Gastrointest Surg 2002;6:66–74. CrossRef
- Baker MS, Knuth JL, DeWitt J et al. Pancreatic cystic neuroendocrine tumors: preoperative diagnosis with endoscopic ultrasound and fine-needle immunocytology. J Gastrointest Surg 2008;12(3):450–456. CrossRef
- King J, Kazanijian K, Matsumoto J et al. Distal pancreatectomy: incidence of post-operative diabetes mellitus. J Gastrointest Surg 2008;12(9):1548–1553. CrossRef
- Guo KJ, Liao HH, Tian YL, Guo RX, He SG, Shen K. Surgical treatment of nonfunctioning islet cell tumor: report of 41 cases. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2004;3:469–472.
- Small Pancreatic and Periampullary Neuroendocrine Tumors: Resect or Enucleate?
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 13, Issue 9 , pp 1692-1698
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Neuroendocrine tumor
- Islet cell tumor
- Pancreas neoplasm
- Ampulla of Vater
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, 535 Barnhill Drive, RT130D, Indianapolis, IN, 46202-5124, USA
- 2. Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
- 3. Department of Surgery, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, NorthShore Campus, Chicago, IL, USA
- 4. Department of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA