Does CT Influence the Decision to Perform Colectomy in Patients with Severe Ulcerative Colitis?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impact of abdominal computerized tomography (CT) on the decision to perform colectomy in patients with severe acute ulcerative colitis (SAC).
Patients with SAC admitted to a single hospital between 2002 and 2007 were reviewed. The criteria for SAC were ≥6 bloody bowel movements per day plus fever >37.8°C, pulse >90, or hemoglobin <10.5 g/dL. Study patients were given a SAC score of 2–4 based on these criteria. Clinical and laboratory parameters, medication use, abdominal X-ray, and endoscopic findings in SAC patients who did or did not have an abdominal CT were compared. Chi-squared, Fisher exact test, and Wilcoxon rank sum test were used as appropriate.
Ninety-two consecutive patients with SAC were evaluated. CT was performed in 26 (28%). The SAC score, laboratory values, abdominal X-ray, and endoscopic findings were similar in patients who did or did not have a CT. Colectomy was performed in 32 (48%) and 10 (38%) patients who did or did not have a CT, respectively (p = 0.4). The CT findings were similar in patients who required colectomy and those who did not require colectomy. In two (8%) of the patients who underwent CT, the CT findings clearly influenced the decision to perform or defer colectomy.
CT has a minor impact on the decision to perform colectomy in patients with severe acute ulcerative colitis.
- Travis SP, Farrant JM, Ricketts C, et al. Predicting outcome in severe ulcerative colitis. Gut. 1996;38(6):905–910. doi:10.1136/gut.38.6.905. CrossRef
- Prantera C, Lorenzetti R, Cerro P, Davoli M, Brancato G, Fanucci A. The plain abdominal film accurately estimates extent of active ulcerative colitis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1991;13(2):231–234.
- Carbonnel F, Lavergne A, Lemann M, et al. Colonoscopy of acute colitis. A safe and reliable tool for assessment of severity. Dig Dis Sci. 1994;39(7):1550–1557. doi:10.1007/BF02088063. CrossRef
- Truelove SC, Witts LJ. Cortisone in ulcerative colitis; final report on a therapeutic trial. BMJ. 1955;2(4947):1041–1048. CrossRef
- Jarnerot G, Rolny P, Sandberg-Gertzen H. Intensive intravenous treatment of ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology. 1985;89(5):1005–1013.
- Rosenberg W, Ireland A, Jewell DP. High-dose methylprednisolone in the treatment of active ulcerative colitis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1990;12(1):40–41. doi:10.1097/00004836-199002000-00011. CrossRef
- D’Haens G, Lemmens L, Geboes K, et al. Intravenous cyclosporine versus intravenous corticosteroids as single therapy for severe attacks of ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology. 2001;120(6):1323–1329. doi:10.1053/gast.2001.23983. CrossRef
- Jakobovits SL, Jewell DP, Travis SP. Infliximab for the treatment of ulcerative colitis: outcomes in oxford from 2000 to 2006. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007;25(9):1055–1060. CrossRef
- Jarnerot G, Hertervig E, Friis-Liby I, et al. Infliximab as rescue therapy in severe to moderately severe ulcerative colitis: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Gastroenterology. 2005;128(7):1805–1811. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2005.03.003. CrossRef
- Probert CS, Hearing SD, Schreiber S, et al. Infliximab in moderately severe glucocorticoid resistant ulcerative colitis: A randomized controlled trial. Gut. 2003;52(7):998–1002. doi:10.1136/gut.52.7.998. CrossRef
- Rutgeerts P, Sandborn WJ, Feagan BG, et al. Infliximab for induction and maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis. N Engl J Med. 2005;353(23):2462–2476. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa050516. CrossRef
- Van Assche G, D’Haens G, Noman M, et al. Randomized, double-blind comparison of 4 mg/kg versus 2 mg/kg intravenous cyclosporine in severe ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology. 2003;125(4):1025–1031. doi:10.1016/S0016-5085(03)01214-9. CrossRef
- Lewis JD, Lichtenstein GR, Deren JJ, et al. Rosiglitazone for active ulcerative colitis: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Gastroenterology. 2008;134(3):688–695.
- Plevy S, Salzberg B, Van Assche G, et al. A phase I study of visilizumab, a humanized anti-CD3 monoclonal antibody, in severe steroid-refractory ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology. 2007;133(5):1414–1422. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2007.08.035. CrossRef
- Schreiber S, Keshavarzian A, Isaacs KL, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled, phase II study of tetomilast in active ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology. 2007;132(1):76–86. doi:10.1053/j.gastro.2006.11.029. CrossRef
- Van Assche G, Sandborn WJ, Feagan BG, et al. Daclizumab, a humanised monoclonal antibody to the interleukin 2 receptor (CD25), for the treatment of moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled, dose ranging trial. Gut. 2006;55(11):1568–1574. doi:10.1136/gut.2005.089854. CrossRef
- Ogata H, Matsui T, Nakamura M, et al. A randomized dose finding study of oral tacrolimus (FK506) therapy in refractory ulcerative colitis. Gut. 2006;55(9):1255–1262. doi:10.1136/gut.2005.081794. CrossRef
- Vogel J, da Luz Moreira A, Baker M, et al. CT enterography for Crohn’s disease: accurate preoperative diagnostic imaging. Dis Colon Rectum. 2007;50(11):1761–1769. doi:10.1007/s10350-007-9005-6. CrossRef
- Vriens PW, van de Linde P, Slotema ET, Warmerdam PE, Breslau PJ. Computed tomography severity index is an early prognostic tool for acute pancreatitis. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;201(4):497–502. doi:10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2005.06.269. CrossRef
- Ambrosetti P, Becker C, Terrier F. Colonic diverticulitis: impact of imaging on surgical management—a prospective study of 542 patients. Eur Radiol. 2002;12(5):1145–1149. doi:10.1007/s00330-001-1143-y. CrossRef
- Rao PM, Rhea JT, Novelline RA, Mostafavi AA, McCabe CJ. Effect of computed tomography of the appendix on treatment of patients and use of hospital resources. N Engl J Med. 1998;338(3):141–146. doi:10.1056/NEJM199801153380301. CrossRef
- Schroeder KW, Tremaine WJ, Ilstrup DM. Coated oral 5-aminosalicylic acid therapy for mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis. A randomized study. N Engl J Med. 1987;317(26):1625–1629.
- Thoeni RF, Cello JP. CT imaging of colitis. Radiology. 2006;240(3):623–638. doi:10.1148/radiol.2403050818. CrossRef
- Imbriaco M, Balthazar EJ. Toxic megacolon: role of CT in evaluation and detection of complications. Clin Imaging. 2001;25(5):349–354. doi:10.1016/S0899-7071(01)00330-8. CrossRef
- Does CT Influence the Decision to Perform Colectomy in Patients with Severe Ulcerative Colitis?
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 504-507
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Ulcerative colitis
- Industry Sectors